Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

why do people think they can comment...

2»

Replies

• Options
    when i was pregnant my MIL thought it was ok to tell me "oh your putting on a lot of weight around your face aren't you" and also, "youre pregnancy is really making you spotty" - yeah.... thank you!!
  • Options
    LOL Elsbeth - love it!

Nobody's crossed the line so far with my bump - but I think these are some excellent comebacks:

"well in my family we have this tradition going back through the generations... if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" [smile sweetly & walk off]

On being told I tired & pasty, "aww thanks, you've made me feel so much better by saying that... don't suppose you'll pay me to go home instead of standing here cutting your hair?"

Action comeback on someone touching your bump - grab their beer belly / boob / bum - "sorry, I thought it was ok as you were feeling my uterus"

"Wow - you want to watch what you say to pregnant ladies - you know we aren't responsible for our actions because of all the hormones?"

"Yes, it sucks - I feel like poo and you've just made me feel 15 times worse - thanks!"

Anymore anyone? image
  • Options
    I must be a freak as I love all the attention and don't mind if people touch my bump. I work in customer services and since I've started showing people havn't shouted at me soo much and have actually been kind instead of their usual horrible selves!!!
    In sainsburys I even had a worker carry my basket for me...I thought "oo I'm a celeb!!!"lol........

I can understand how it must annoy people but I also like how it brings out the softer side in people that wouldn't usually bother striking up a conversation with me.

I love nappyhead site...there is a baby grow that says " I only cry when ugly people hold me" Thought that was hilarious!!!

Katie and Bambino.x x x
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev150pr___.png

• Options
    It really gets on my nerves too. I have quite a big bump but I haven't put on much weight and it's only on my belly anyway, but people can't help but comment. I have had 'Is it twins?' about a thousand times since I was about 20 weeks. And THEN when I say no they say 'Oh they must have got it wrong at the scan' :\? Yeah - after 4 scans they still can't see another one in there :roll:

I don't mind it so much from people who are usually quite blunt, like my boyfriends grandad commented but he always comments if I put weight on anyway (he's old, I'll let him off!) But when people who are normally tactful suddenly start calling you 'fattie' or something just because ur pregnant....grrrrr.

And yes the amount of people who look all shocked and tut when I have a (small) glass of wine...Because I am young as well they act like I'm some teenage binge drinker who doesn't give a toss about her baby, which is so far from the truth! It's always the young people who comment as well, the over 40s just say 'Oh it never did our kids any harm'!
  • Options
    i'm so glad someone has posted this because I thought I was just being silly getting annoyed about it! My best friend said she loved people asking her & she was so proud of her size (she was huge though) whereas I don't feel the need to discuss my size with total strangers it cracks me up too!

I'm 33+1 weeks & my tummy is measuring 43.5 inches & i've put on nearly a stone which i'm pleased with because I don't think I could have physically coped with being much bigger but I am well aware i'm probably going to have a growth spurt soon but if I do & I end up with a huge belly I don't need other people to tell me that it's huge- I can't see my feet I know i'm huge!

Rant over that was great thanks girls lol image
    Lauren (33+1) xoxox
  • Options
    ha weeza i love what you said about touching someones boob or bum when they touch your bum, that would be so funny, cant wait til someone tries it on me to give it a go!

and rachel i wish i had the guts to do that.think i will give that a go too! see what reaction i get!
  • Options
    I haven't had this problem yet as I'm just starting to show, so not very noticable. I did however see some cool t-shirts last year (was very early days then, so I didn't buy them), one said "Touch the bump......Loose the hand" and another said something like "I'm pregnant not fat....whats your excuse". I hope the shop still sells them cause I want one! xximage

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev209pr___.png

• Options
    I love reading this thread! lol just love it! x
  • Options
    People talk sh!t and we should just ignore them! The other day at work 2 people told me i was huge and another 2 told me i was hardly showing at all!! Its just an excuse to get a conversation going so that they can go on at you for an hour about their own pregnancy/birth/baby hell stories!!
    My dad told me i was "spreading out" the other day! My brother told him off and he just laughed!! oh well, obviously your not a real person when your pregnant!!

I dont mind people touching my bump as long as they ask if i mind first. An older lady at work was saying she just loves to touch them as it reminds her of a feeling she wont experience again. Which i think is really sweet, she can rub my belly whenever she likes! On the other hand my ohs uncle gropes me everytime i see him (the first time being at 9 weeks when we told him!!!) i nearly climbed over a table the other day to get away from him!!

wish i had the guts to say what some of you have said to people, i'm not that quick off the mark!
    x x
  • Options
    This thread is brill! I have just laughed my way right through it. Elsbeth - u r brill, I wish I could come out with stuff like that on the spot, especially during pregnancy things like that come to me a week later lol
    Thanks for making me laugh like that ladies!!!! Trying to make a mental note of some of these comebacks.
    Love Lee
    xxxxxxx