Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

problems with money and other half....

hi ladies, i started mat leave on 20/10/08 and will get 90% of my earnings but only for 6 weeks then it will go down to ??117 a week. which would be ok if my rent wasn't so high... at the moment my O/H has been acting very strange and has made comment about leaving england and going back to where he was born???? there is no way in hell that i would leave england.. if he did just leave what would happen to me and my baby? how would we manage on ??117 a week my rent is ??550 a month???? what benefits would i be able to apply for?
:\?

Replies

• Options
    dont mean to pry but your oh just worried bout finances or dyou yhink somethin deeper.if just a case of finance belive me it can be wathered but you gotta talk to one another there will be odd row but thats human.i dont know the benefit system in uk that well but i imagine if desertion is issue you will get help etc. id be more inclined to wonder what your fella means thats not fair to disrupt your security at a time you need him most. money isnt everything (i know you know it but does he?)
  • Options
    yeah i agree with roisine in that you need to talk to your OH, but if the worst does come to the worst and you are left alone you dont really need to worry about money, a friend of mine was in the same situation as you and her OH left just after there baby was born and if you are a single parent like her you can claim housing benefit which is about ??460 a month for a 2 bedroom house, child benefit which is about to go up to ??20 ish a week, child tax credits which i think is about ??45 a week and also single parents can claim income support which is another ??60 ish a week... im not sure if you will get all of that with you working or how much it would be reduced to considering your wage etc but you would deffo be entitled to some of it.
    hope this helps a bit/

XxXxX

• Options
    not sure about england but do use not get rent alowance over there or family on low income support (fis allowance)there should be a social worker in yor hospital that can tell you bou all this but i no wit the fis u can only get that if you or your partner are earning under a certan amount

carna 37+1
  • Options
    not sure about england but do use not get rent alowance over there or family on low income support (fis allowance)there should be a social worker in yor hospital that can tell you bou all this but i no wit the fis u can only get that if you or your partner are earning under a certan amount

carina 37+1