Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

finding out the sex?!?!

Hi I jus wondered how many of us are planning on finding out the sex of the baby at the 20 weeks scan? We are deffo gonna find out had 13 weeks scan tuesday and cant wait till jan for my 20 weeks im so impatient im dying to find out if theres a little man or little lady in here! anyone the same or are you going to wait for the suprise? xx

Replies

• I initially wanted to keep it a surprise but partner persueded me to find out. i am glad i did, we are having a boy and now can plan more re clothing, nursery decor etc...not that i am in pink for girls, blue for boys school of thought. what are you hoping for??
  • Im didnt find out with first and wont be this time round.... I surprise myself really as I thought curiosity may get the better of me- but Im deffinatley a no- Im going to keep it a surprise-
    I did used the prediction chart on here and it says boy and I used another one and it said girl- I know there is only one baby in there so which will it be!!!
    I think they should set up a poll on here to see how many mums to be do find out the sex of their babies.... I think its quite alot
  • Me and my husband found out at our 20 week scan, we're having a boy. We found out I was pregnant when I was only 4 weeks so there was no way I could wait until March to find out 'cos I was so excited. I'm really glad we did find out cos now I refer to him as a 'he' rather than just 'it' or 'the baby'. A lot of people told me not to find out because it's a nice surprise when you have the baby, it's just personal choice.

Hope this helps.
    Sammi
    xx

[Modified by: bigmutha on November 30, 2006 09:01 PM]
  • Hi we are hoping for a boy as we already have 2 girls and 1 boy will be nice to even it out, we found out with our middle one that we were having a boy and it really didnt ruin the suprise at all it was just as exciting as the other 2 births. I am just to to to impatient, i to found out at just 4 weeks and june seems so far away there is no way i am waiting lol. xx
  • im 16 wks and i find out today!!! cant wait!! although a little nervous too!!!
  • Lucky you carlielaine1!!! Let us know when your back!!

Hi Mel,
    I definitely want to find out - I didn't get a choice to find out when I had my 11 year old girl but the curiosity is killing me this time.
    I'm hoping for another girl but obviously won't care either way - my partner wants a girl as he already has a 14 year old boy but he doesn't want to know the sex of the baby. I think he'll kinda guess when I start buying specific clothes/colours!!!!
    Only one thing that does concern me though, my friend was told she was having a boy, bought all boys stuff, decorated the nursery with 'boys' colours, etc... and then gave birth to a girl!!!! lol
    Another friend of mine wanted to find out and all the way through the baby's legs were crossed so they couldn't tell the sex - baby came out a girl. I kept telling her that the crossed legs was a giveaway for a girl all the way through - never known a boy to cross his legs! Lol...
    Eva x
  • Hi every1, this is r first n I'm convinced its a boy? do Mums just get the feeling?? I guess with 50 / 50 options could go either way, as long as its healthy but yes I am dying to know, I find out in Jan, feels like forever away..!!
    Marie
  • lol hey eva will let you know, cant wait, luckily i have another scan on 21st december and not buying stuff for baby til after xmas, so hopefully they will both tell me same thing, or i will be confused lol
  • carlie - will be waiting to hear!!!!

Firstbaba - i had that gut feeling that i was having a boy with my first to the point that when I gave birth i shouted out 'theres a willy, its a boy!!!' to which the midwife responded 'no - thats the umbilical cord - its a girl!!' LOL..
  • Hi all, ive got a scan on 14th dec at 21wks and im going to ask the sex of baby. I never wanted to know with my first three children, i asked with my 4th but he was facing the wrong way so we couldnt see! This is my 5th and i really want to know, im fed up with buying white or lemon clothes! lol. My eldest two are coming to the scan with me so they will be chuffed to be the 1st to know. Not long to wait, will let you know. Debs x
  • I didnt find out with my first two (both girls). As i think this will be our last baby, there is a bit of pressure to produce a boy this time round. I decided to find out the sex so i could prepare OH if its another girl. I was told it is a boy but she only seemed to get a quick glimpse of his bits so im not 100% sure. She didnt give a % certainty (as she did when she said she thought it was a girl a couple of mins earlier), so now im very confused!!
    Wish i could have another scan just to make sure. Either way, OH doesnt know so i cant let on how confused i am. Should i believe the sonographer??
  • Hi all, oh poor you sarah, how confusing! I think maybe you will have to wait until baby is born now to be sure. When is your baby due? Debs x
  • Yeah i found out at my 19 weeks scan and it was as everyone had told me (i kinda thought it myself aswell) it was a little boy, i was surprised at how big his man bits are especialy at thats stage, my mum was a bit gob smaked aswell, we were both like "its a boy then" lol, i about cried, this is my first baby and i am only 16 but i had tears in my eyes cause you dont realy believe it yourself and seeing he had a willy made it all the more real!

xlisax
  • hi debbiemc, im due 14th march but was induced 13 days overdue with both my others. I would count on this again- but now im not sure. Midwife was wondering if it would be different cos its a boy this time.
    Lisabby- you've reassured me a bit! The sonographer said it very matter of a factly. Sort of " oh no, its not as we thought, ive just seen boy bits". Does the fact she never gave a % mean she was totally sure (i know they cant say that straight out)? If the boy bits really are that big then i think im inclined to believe her more. just wish i'd asked her to go back and show me!!
  • a boy, im soooo chuffed!!! xxx
  • I talked about with o.h. and we decided not to find out but as time has gone along, I'm desperate to find out. I spoke to o.h. and told him how I felt but he still wants to keep it a secret, what am I going to do? I'm going to burst not knowing!!!
  • Hi tobyt2000,
    My partner is like yours, he absolutely does not want to know until the birth but I do. We agreed that at the scan, if they are happy to tell me then he will leave the room so I can know. The hard part though is how do i keep it a secret after!!! I have the feeling that he doesn't want to know because he desperately wants a little girl and I think if he finds out its a boy early on he may feel disappointed however, if he finds out at the birth it will be so overwhelming and emotional for him that he won't care.
    Eva
  • How wierd is that your husband sounds just like mine. I always thought he would want a boy but he has surprised me and he really wants a girl. I think you have a good idea about him leaving the scan and the sonographer telling you only. I might run this past my hubby and see what he says. Fingers crossed eh?!!
  • Fingers crossed!!! He should be okay. Mine was a bit funny about me finding out but I told him if it isn't fair for me to expect him to know when he doesn't want to, then it is also unfair for him to expect me to wait if I want to find out now so he agreed that I can know. The only problem I've got is if I am told that I'm having a girl, I would so want to tell him as I know he'd be over the moon!! but I can't.... oh well. I told him though that he might kinda guess when I buy clothes, he said maybe I could really confuse him and buy a blue dress!!!! LOL.. Good luck and make sure you let me know the outcome!!!
    Eva x
  • My hospital will not tell you unless you both want to find out! They have only just started to tell you the sex they stopped for a couple of years, god i hope they dont change the rules before jan id be well upset! has anyone had a 4d scan? whats it like? xx