Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

iron problems!

i was given a prescription a couple of weeks ago for iron tablets following my 28 weeks bloods.only im absolutly useless at taking the smallest of tablets,so i brought some spatone and mentioned it to the midwife last week who said it wasnt good enough and i should take tablets.now im fretting and quite spooked at the thought of having problems at the birth with blood loss etc.is anyone one else taking spatone or floradix and changing the diet instead of taking these pills? thanks emma

emma 32+1

Replies

• Sorry hun, can't really help, but might be worth asking the pharmacist at the chemist if it's possible to get iron in suspension(liquid) form rather than tablets. Sorry pregnancy brain has blocked out my memory. Good luck x x
  • Hi g/c from baby. Just wanted to say I had the same trouble and chose to take spatone rather than tablets because the tablets make you sooo constipated and your poo black (tmi sorry!). From what I remember you can take two sachets a day. I would continue with the spatone and ask her to re-take your bloods perhaps before they are due to make sure your iron levels are ok. If she is being awkward you could go to your GP to get a blood test done. I continued to take spatone throughout. When I had my son they tried to make me take the tablets but after having several stitches the last thing I wanted was to be constipated - not a nice predicament!! I did lose quite a bit of blood during the birth but this did not cause me any problems! Good luck xxx
  • I have decided against my iron tablets and am taking spatone instead. I won't be telling my midwife, and when I next have bloods if there is still a problem then I'll reconsider.

I take 2 spatone sachets a day

xx
  • get some spinach down u girl!!!!. bloody marvellous. i ate loads and the midwife always commented on how good my iron levels were!! has made baby really strong too!
    xx
  • Sorry to hijack but can I ask...do the midwives automatically tell you to get a prescription for iron from 18 weeks?

My midwife told me this, but it was before I had even got blood tests done. I have been taking Floradix but if the doctor's iron tablets are better I will get those.
  • I wouldn't worry about it too much, I'm vegetarian and was anaemic even before I got pregnant. The iron tablets made me really constipated so they tried me on another type of tablets but that didn't help so I cut down the number of tablets I was taking. The midwife said that was okay, just to take what I could manage. Eventually they gave me the liquid iron which did help a bit.