Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

back to back

hi all.just had my midwife appointment and im 30 weeks and my baby is lying back to back,which is why im in so much pain but im really scared she wont turn before labour.Has anyone else had this?I really am scrared.xx

Replies

• yep, my first decided to make life difficult for me like that. The various bits of advice I've been given are: try to make sure you sit upright or leant forward - astride a chair leaning on the back is good if you have a comfy one. Sleep on your side. Spend some time on all fours every day. No lounging in the sofa!!!!!
  • Hey Mell81.... This position is called posterior meaning that the babies back is agianst your back. Which yes causes alot of back pain. Babies chnage positions all the time, so the bubs may turn before your labour. How many weeks are you??? Sleeping on your side helps like Daska said and try not to lean too much on your back. You know those gym ball things they can ehlp if you sqaut on them and lean forward obviously whilst holding on to something like the bed.... Amirah (midwife and mum 2 be) xo
  • Hi ya, My Babs is lying the same way. Up until my Midwife appointment Yesterday she had been lying Transverse but she is now head down in the Prosterior Position. But my Midwife told me not to worry that she still has plenty of room to move and turn and could be in all sorts of different positions between now and my due date. Jayne 31+4. xx
  • hi guys,thankyou all for the advice.I have just bought one of those gym balls and trying to sit on that as much as poss.I just keep wanting to lay down at the min because im so tired all the time.But midwife said thats not a good idea?I really hope the cheeky monkey turns before labour.Im 30=4 weeks now.I think im just so scared of having a epidural because im such a wimp when it comes to needles and i would love to feel when to push.And plus i herd they muck ur back up after.When it comes to having forceps im also scared there incase they damage my babys hearing.I bet i sound pathetic hey!!xx
  • Mell81 Just thought i'd let you know that baby's can be delivered normally (Vaginal) with out assistance even when they're in the prosterior position so i wouldn't worry too much! The only thing is that it would be a longer labour! and your baby would swallow alot of goo so it would bring that up after the birth!!
  • how do you know what position babys are in?
  • Yes, good point Jayne, I didn't mention that the advice I was given, even though I followed it, didn't result in my son turning around. But I still had a 'normal' birth.
  • When i went for my last check up with my 3rd child i was told that she was back 2 back, and was told to try loads of different ways to try and turn her, i was unsuccsessfull in doing that and when i went in to labour i was very nervous cos i was told it would take longer than my last two labours and when i told my midwife this she looked back and my notes and told me my other two had also been back 2 back and those two labours had both been quite quick, all three labours had been less than 6 hours, so don't be scared and don't worry every labours different lol
  • my midwife never tells me what position baby is in. is she meant to tell me?
  • Just ask i'm sure she'll explain to you, thats what she there for.
  • shes so miserable.. seems to be gettin happier everytime i see her. my sister said she just wants my baby lol
  • At my doctors there are a few different midwifes and you get a different one each time, or you can choose, i would just ask if you can change, if thats possible.
  • na theres only one midwife at my doctors. my sister said she was the same with her.. miserable to start with then when you have the baby shes your best mate!
  • Hi guys thanks for all the advice.I feel much better now.My midwife always tells me what position my baby is in.I think i have been pretty lucky with my midwife because shes really lovely.Although she pissed me off when she said i could only have two people in with me in the delivery room image
  • That's the same every where you go it's just one of those things, i was only allowed 2 people in when having all three of mine, my mum and my husband.
  • Mel, I think the two people scaenario is normal, why would you want anymore than that in anyway, the room feels crowded enough anyway. As for the back to back questuion i was told for quite a bit of y pregnancy that my LO was back to back but wasn't really aware of what this meant, i had terrible back ache through out and when i was in labour all the pain was in my back. I was told that i would have been able to deliver normally but i have an abnormally small pelvis and because she was still back toback i ended up having a caesarean cause hs egot stuck! Saying all that i would go through it all again tommorow cause she was well worth it!
    Just don't panic! x