Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Fetal Doppler- yes or no?

I know I'm probably opening can of worms here as people often feel quite strongly about this but have you or do you intend to use a doppler? If so when did you start to use it and which one do you have?

I am currently 13+2 and am thinking I may get one after my 16 week appointment (when I assume the midwife will have used one?) but really undecided as to whether it's a good idea. I have been looking at the Sonotrax or the Hi Bebe.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks x

Replies

• Hi,

I bought an angelsounds doppler just after my 16 week scan and found it great, I think the angelsounds is a common purchase by alot of ladies here, the summer one is a bit rubbish!

I think they are great but as a note of caution I would keep in mind that it easy to get stressed if you can't find hb in the early days or it changes in some way, it's easy to start using them daily and that is not necessarily a good thing...so while they have a really positive purpose I would consider the pros and cons before buying one. Mine broke toward the end of my pregnancy and next time I'm not sure I would buy one.

• I have the angelsounds one. I found it fantastic as I was very anxious about this pregnancy after a prior loss. I used it twice a week from 14-18 weeks when I started to feel movement. I didn't feel the need to use it after that apart from on rare occasions. They are good but you must be aware that the doppler is only for 'fun' - it isn't a diagnostic tool. I spoke to a MW recently and she was telling me about a woman who has reduced movement so used a doppler, heard the HB so presumed all was ok. Sadly it wasn't and the baby ended up in SCBU...

Good luck with your pregnancy & like Sazzle says, if you initially can't find the HB try not to worry. We used ours for the first time after we had heard the HB at the MW at our 14 week check so I knew all was ok and wouldn't worry if I couldn't find it (happily I found it after a few minutes!),

Ruth x
    39 weeks today image
  • I decided against it, more so because I didn't want to risk finding it tricky to find a heartbeat in the early stages and panicking myself, then as time has gone on I get the reassurance I need by way of baby's regular movements anyway image

Not sure if they give the heart rate or not, but imagine I'd be worried if it was faster/slower on any given day - although clearly this does happen as I can see that from my mw notes.

I can see why people do get them though so do what's right for you hon xx
  • i bought a baby sounds doppler with digital display at 14 weeks and am still heavily reliant on it (despite 8 scans lol as im still in my own clothes and have no bump and also not particularly a lot of movements...not strong ones anyway) i have never had a problem finding heartbeat and was told long as you are hearing it then should be reassured baby is ok in there...(different from what Ruth was told but i think they make stuff up) its been a bit of a life saver for me...

Laura x
    (29+5)

P.s So far all has been ok with my baby...v.active at scans ans measuring on track and if anything a bit ahead....
  • I was advised by midwife not to get one as its easy to pick up your own heartbeat and mistake it for babies and also women go into a panic if they can find heartbeat.
    I know alot of ladies on here have bought them and think they are fantastic, I think its down to personal choice.

Kirsty 23+6
  • As far as picking up your own HB goes, it should be a lot faster so you should be able to differentiate, but if you are concerned then find your pulse and just make sure they aren't the same.

(different from what Ruth was told but i think they make stuff up) its been a bit of a life saver for me...

LOL Laura, I am sure they make stuff up!!! ;\)

xxx
  • Each midwife I've seen has told me not to get one, for reasons mentioned above ie women not finding HB and getting in a panic, and also they have always been at pains to express that listening to HB does not tell you anything at all about baby's condition, particularly when you are not trained, obstetrician told me the same. If you are relatively calm tho, and able to take these two points on board, ie if you are feeling much much less movement ,even if you hear HB still seek help, then I don't see why not. I never wanted one, but women are not daft and as long as they can be practical about it I'm sure they're good fun.xxx
  • yeah ruth i think they do lol...

its funny that people are told different things about whether dopplers give you peace of mind or not but the way i see it is - if they dont let you know baby is ok in there then why do midwifes bother listening in for heartbeat and recording it? It must have some significance...
    as ruth said its quite easy to differentiate between your own and babies heartbeat as babies is much faster (mine has digital display which makes it all the more easier)

Its personal choie at the end of the day but as i said its been a life saver for me and helped me stay relatively calm to get this far....

As with movements im the opposite to all the othert ladies i have never felt much in the way of movements and while i get enough to kep professionals happy (and have had numberous private scans and also a trace in triage) all is still well with my baby and active and growing fine so yeah always get reduced movement checked out but unfortunately we dont all have kicky babies - mean seems quite contect sucking their fingerd and toes in 4d lol..

Lx
  • From my personal experience I would say no. Someone lent me on and I used it and ended up down the assessment unit because I didn't really know what I was doing with it and couldn't find heartbeat! When I got down the Assessment Unit the m/w kind of told me off and said 'what are you listening in for?? That't our job'. However I understand that if movements are minimal (like Lauz41) and I'm sure they give people reassurance.

If you do get one - take it to your 16 week appointment and ask the m/w how to use it and to show you what to listen for.

YummyMummy79
    29+6
  • Guess like the others have said only get one if you think you will cope and not panic if you can't find it!!! I started using mine at 12.5wks, and have been lucky to find it every time. I tend to listen if I have anything that is stressing me out, and then it helps me relax. I find it easy to tell the difference because I'm used to listening to diff rates (I'm a vet, mummy's heart is like a big dog, baby's like a cat!!!) so I can instantly tell which I find. my beanio never stays still long, so only listen for about 10secs twice a week. I only use it to reassure myself that baby is alive in there, so think I'll listen far less when I get def movements every day. It's a very personal decision, and I think you need to make it based on how anxious you are about bubs, balanced against how you would be if you couldn't find it.
    G (16+6)
  • Hi iam a midwife and have been for 9 years.I would never recommend a doptone.There is no midwife that would, for many reasons.If you girls are getting told diffrent things the facts are ; at times it is difficult to find HB, more so in the early stages; babies heatbeat should be between 110-160bpm; you can hear the placental flow and think its BH (but there is no HB); its also important to check your pulse; women some times get reduced movement hear the HB are reassured and dont seak medical advice *just because there is a HB does NOT mean your baby is well!!!!!!*; your midwife when listening to the heartbeat is looking for many things the rate, the varability and for decelerations. It takes a long time to lean these skills!
    I think it could be used for a bit of fun and a liitle reassurance in the early days until you get movements but not as a diagnostic tool!!! sorry for getting on my high horse but so peoples comments got me worked up big time xxx
  • i have to agree with you tiger im not a midwife but i would never reccomend anyone getting one,i dont understand why they are sold tbh..if u need reassurance u should go to your midwife and not rely on a fd ...i actually know someone who used one and used to regulary check her baby's hb with it ....the next time she went to her m/w she checked it and there was something not quite right so she was sent for montiering and its a good job because babies h/b wasnt quite right!!! I do understand the ladies who have miscarried and need that early reassurance but i think after the 12 week scan no one should use them and if at any point you are worried see a midwife dont rely on your doppler ..i have seen lots of women post on here saying "babies movements not right but ive used the doppler and all is ok on there" i want to scream NOOOOO go to hospital. When i was pg with dd i was sooo worried all the time about her movements but i spoke to my midwife and they were fab and i went every week to be monitered properly ..i could have so easily got my own doppler but were not doctors/midwifes ladies and we dont know what to look for

hth xxxxx
  • I got an angel sounds doppler. Not for medical reassurance or anything, I agree with the above couple of posts. But I just love hearing my baby's heartbeat. I find it a really bonding experience and I wanted hubby to be able to hear it too as he can't come to mw appointments but I can never tell the difference between babies heartbeat and the placenta flow so it sort of defeats the purpose!

[Modified by: faithie on April 02, 2010 01:17 PM]

• I had a Hi Bebe doppler from about 13 weeks and it has been a lifesaver for me after suffering two miscarriages. I've never relaxed at all in this pregnancy, I'm still waiting for something to go wrong, and just knowing I have the means to check in on my baby's heartbeat has meant a lot.

I probably used it once or twice weekly in the earlier stages, less often after my anomaly scan, and very rarely now - if I don't feel movement for a while I will use it, because putting the probe on my tummy generally gets him kicking anyway!

I'm not stupid, I would still seek medical advice if I felt movement patterns had reduced or if I just felt uneasy, I'm also able to tell the difference between my own HB at about 80bpm and his at about 140+, and I actually proved better in the earlier days at finding his HB than my midwife.

I had a community midwife out last week who discovered I had a doppler (she was trying to impress my three year old with hers, and got a sideways look and "Mummys got one of those upstairs") and she had a PROPER go at me, which hacked me off no bloody end. They're not illegal, I've used it sensibly, it's stopped my antenatal depression from turning into all out mania, and ultimately it's none of her goddamned business.
  • completely agree with mostly everything you have just said mrs setters!

• I wasnt saying that anyone is stupid i just wanted everyone to know the facts so that women can make an informed choice.Girls were getting told diffrent things from midwives and i wanted to tell you the facts ive worked in labour ward for a long time, worked in the birthing unit and done home births so i know what im talking about.However not everyone thinks out of the box and not good out comes have happened before, to real women!
    I had a miscarrage in Dec so i understand how reassuring they can make you feel, ive bought one but i would never tell anyone at work as they would give me into trouble.As long as everyone is aware that they are not dignostic!if you are worried about baby go see your midwife.Its a personal choice like everything in life xxxxx
  • I bought a heart rate monitor from argos, is this the same as a doppler? Its just a microphone and pretty crap, i couldnt find heart beat and tried for ages to find it and got myself in a bit of a stress, i wish i had never bothered buying it. I am 20 weeks on monday and got my scan on wed, I think i feel movemnts, like popping and flutters so am not overly concerned x
  • I bought an angel sounds one and can't see how you could pick up your own heartbeat with it. The sounds are very different, not to mention very far apart. I have used mine since about 13 weeks and at first it was hard to find the heartbeat each time so you need time to chill and have a good look. I was able to use the gel, tilting and slow movements to find it each time, sometimes within a minute sometimes 15 minutes, I am 22 weeks now and it's much harder because I have to chase her around my belly!

I got the doppler because I thought it would be great for my and hubby to bond with the baby early on and also good for us to enjoy together, I loved it and found it a wonderful experience we shared together.
  • I would also add that I would never use it for medical purposes as I am fully aware that i do not have the skill or no how to do so.
  • Jubilee, it's often easy to pick up your own pulse with a doppler, especially early on, I would often pick up my own pulse from the veins on either side of my groin because I was hunting for the HB wuite low down. You can also pick up the placental pulse instead of the baby's HB, though having had the difference demonstrated by a MW, the placental pulse is more 'whooshy' than the baby's heartbeat.

I think most people are sensible enough to know that it's not a diagnostic tool and doesn't replace examination by a medical professional in the event of any unusual activity or lack thereof.