Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mat Leave

Hi girls well after months of asking them I finally got my amounts that I would get while I was off and to be hoenst I thought it was going to be more. This was gross only so not sure about net but a lady who only worked part time got just under what I got and so I thought being a fully time worker and being on more money than her I would have got more a week?

K xx
26 weeks

Replies

• I think it depends on if your company has its own mat leave policy doesn't it?
    SMP will be ??123.06 per week - doesn't matter how much you were on before i dont think.
  • Also another thing, I know i have asked this before but you do not get taxed the 22% do you while you are off those 33 weeks you get SMP and anything extra work wants to add on??

I am on line now looking but can't find it anywhere how much tax you do have to pay while on Mat leave, does anybody know?

K xx
    26 weeks
  • Yeah thats the SMP pay, I just thought work was adding more on than they were but it must be right. Thats not bad I am pleased I actually know know how much a week I will be getting gross and I also get a lump sum when I have been back for three months as well.

k XX
    26 WEEKS
  • my company do 90% of your earning for 6 weeks then the flat SMP rate of ??112 ish or 90% of your earnings which ever is lower. my part time earnings made me get ??105 a week whereas my friend who worked full time only got ??20 or so more
    xxDBxx
  • Your lucky your getting a package, my friend is getting a package at her work too, all I get at my work is SMP, and ive been here since 2004 and its a Solicitors firm so you'd have thought they would have a proper package set up for their employees.

Gxx
  • Thats really poor that they are not giving you more than SMP. To be hoenst I just thought I would get more due to my friend who was on part time work and we are getting roughly the same a month so not sure how they work it out. It's not a bad things at all the first 6 weeks i get ??476 gross and then 33 weeks I get ??158.94 before tax.

Hubby is pleased I think it just helps us so much to know a figure now to work with but we own three huge cc and then you have rent and bills and so on like everybody else so we will JUST about manage I think.

K xx
    26 weeks
  • Georgie - I work for a solicitors and its rubbish too - although a bit better than yours. 100% for 6 weeks (you should get 90% for 6 weeks - I think that is statutory) and then SMP for the rest. In my last firm (London law firm) you got however much when you were off - then when you returned to work you got a bonus which basically made it up to full pay for the whole of your mat leave - and you could get that early (before you came back) if you wanted to. My friend works for a bank in London and she also gets 100% for her whole mat leave. It's just doesn't seem fair does it !!!

K x
    15+1
  • Yeah I am meant to get 50% of my wage for the 33 weeks but they break that up so I get 60% of my 50% while I am off which is ??158 and then the 40% for the 33 weeks as a lump sum when I get back to work for three months full time though have towork 6 months or need to pay all that extra they give you back.

SMP is now ??123 a month.

K xx
    26 weeks
  • I only get the SMP too. I only work part time though so I will be coming out with roughly the same as I am getting now.

xx
  • I will get 100% for 6 weeks and then SMP for 33 weeks...rubbish isnt it! But hey ho, I knew this before we fell pregnant, so we have been prepared...we cleared all debts and have a good savings balance for an emergency! xxxx
  • i get full pay for 6 weeks, half pay for 18 weeks then the rest SMP, i'm also taking the 3 months unpaid... i hope!
  • Do we get taxed on our SMP??

I get 12 weeks full pay, 27 weeks SMP!

Butterfly
    30+6
  • Yep, you do pay tax and NI on your SMP, if you claim MA however, say your on benefits or don't qualify for SMP, you don't. Not fair really?
  • You will pay tax on smp but remember that if you don't have a very good maternity package your earnings won't be very high and as most people will be entitled to over ??6000 a year free pay you probably won't pay much tax at all, if any!

I'm very lucky that I will get 26 weeks full pay and then 13 weeks smp. Without such a good package we couldn't have afforded to have a baby as our monthly out goings are almost 3k.

Bec 37+6 x

• SMP is now ??123 a month.

K xx
    26 weeks

Is it not ??123 a week??? If not, I am royally screwed!!
  • I read that it was hun, its gone up I read that yesterday on the Gov web site

K xx
    26+1
  • It is ??123 a week Bert don't worry image x
  • pppphhhheeeeeewww!!!
  • I get full pay for 8 weeks, half pay plus SMP for 13 weeks and then just SMP for 18 weeks, then Im working 3 months unpaid. But it's not bad as my employer will add up the total amount you would be paid over the 9 months and divide it between the 52 weeks I will be off so although I get less in each pay packet at least I have a fixed amount coming in each month. Though it was such a shock to the system when I realsied Id only be getting ??750 a month on mat leave which is half what I get now then going back p/t I would be getting about the same. Bye Bye decent wages for good! I now have to make sure the car is paid off by the time I start mat leave - oops!

xax
    12 today