Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Cold Sores

Hi everyone,

I have suffered with cold sores before pregnancy and used Zovirax. A friend told me that you shouldn't use this when pregnant and in fact the Zovirax website says not to be used during pregnancy. Apparently if you are prone to coldsores you may get more when pregnant.

I have a cold sore on my nose and it's very sore :\(

Does anyone know wny other remedies that I can use for coldsores that is safe during pregnancy?

Many thanks for your help.

Mrs RG
9+5

Replies

• Options
    Hiya.
    I used zovirax before I knew I was pregnant but stopped when I found out.
    to be honest the only thing I found that helped was vaseline lip care but that just stops it cracking and getting sore. not the same remedy but I couldn't find anything else.
    I did get a few but not actually as bad as I would before I was pregnant.
    xx
  • Options
    when i was pregnant i went to the chemist and asked the woman and she said it was ok to use zovirax cos they was nothing in it that would be passed on to my LO'S like you i also saw this on there website so i used it very little,i would go to the chemist and ask or phone the docs and see if it was ok

sarah
  • Options
    Hi, I get cold sores and use Compeed Invisible Cold Sore patchs (from Boots, Tesco, etc) They're not cheap but I find them much better than faffing about with the cream. There's no active ingredient like Zovirax but I just checked the website and it said to consult your doctor if pregnant or breastfeeding. The website also has a downloadable voucher for 2 pounds off your next purchase, which would be worthwhile. Might be worth asking about when you check about Zovirax. I used them whilst pregnant as I didn't even think about them not being suitable! image
  • Options
    I use blistex (blisteze) for mine. no idea whether its suitable but I've used it in all my pregnancies.
    Compeed patches are fab too.
  • Options
    I've suffered from coldsores for years so know how horrible they are and used to get at least one a month. A friend recommended liquorice lip balm last Summer as she'd read that it could actually prevent them from appearing. I've used it daily and haven't had a coldsore since (has changed my life!) and it's also worked for a few other people I know. It's definitely worth a go and is only made of natural ingredients too.
  • Options
    i have a cold sore at the min and have been using zovirax as i didnt even realise that there could be anything harmful in it. SUGAR!!! i wont be using it from now on. thanks ladies.

**ally** i like the sound of that liqurice lip balm you mentioned..how much and where could i get some from please?

XxXxX
  • Options
    HI honey i get cold sores too, i was reading a post on here about how its quite rare but if you have a cold sore and when the baby arrives and you kiss it and the baby contracts it then they can die. I dont know if you saw it but its not a very well known illness and this womans baby had died from it so she was letting everyone know. Dont mean to worry you and your cole sore will prob be gone by time baby comes.
    Thanks for letting us know about zovirax, had no idea it can be harmful
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi PrincessSarah

You can get the balm from www.skinshop.co.uk, that's the only place I know you can get it. x
  • Options
    Hi ladies,

Thank you all so much for your replies. It's good to know that I'm not alone with the evil cold sores!

Ally, that sounds like a great option - I might well give that one a go. Amazing that you haven't had one since using it. I don't get them that often but have had 3 in the last 3 weeks - I found I was pregnant about 5 weeks ago. Before that I think the last one I had was before our wedding in August last year.

Bumpsadaisy - I see what you mean about vaseline and the cracking. It is when it gets hard and cracks that it hurts - I do have some vaseline somewhere.....

fall3n-ang3l - I have also seen conflicting reports that it is OK and I'm sure the Zovirax website is covering it's own back but think I will stop using it just in case - thanks though.

Aussie, thanks so much for the voucher option. I have used patches before and I get on OK with them when the coldsore is for example on my chin so it's easy to stick on. I find them a little fiddly when it comes to edges - like the edge of the mouth or nose (it is on the side of my nostril this time). I will give anything a go though and I think hubby has some of them I can steal.

Bex 78, one of my friends said try Blistex. I think the best option is to do as some ladies have said and go and ask a pharmacist.

GeorgieD - I have heard something about that but it was a case I believe where the woman had not had a cold sore before and got one when pregnant. I believe it is fine if you have had them before pregnancy....

Princess Sarah - I had also been using it over the last few weeks & only realised when I bought a new tube today & my friend who is pregnant said she was told not to use it.

Anyway, thanks again ladies - I really will try anything as it is really painful. It is on the edge of my nose and everytime I need to blow my nose it makes my eyes water when I catch it :cry:

I am also seeing the Obstratician (sp) on Monday so I will add the question to the list and come back to you all if I get any good advice!

Thank you all very much & good luck with your pregnancies.

Mrs RG
    9+5

• Options
    hi, i have had awful cold sores throughtout this pregnancy, i went to my gp and she prescribed me zovirax to use. She did say that on the label there is an advisory for pregnant women but she said it would be fine to use, just use it sparingly, i.e when it starts to dry up stop using it then.

Nina 29wks xxx
  • Options
    Hi Nina,

Thank you for that. I used vaseline on it last night and it was surprisingly soothing.

I am seeing the Dr tomorrow so I will confirm things with her but thanks v much for your advice.

MrsRG
    9+6
  • Options

Post deleted by MadeForMums.
    Here's a link to our Chat guidelines.