Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

IBS & Pregnancy

Hi,

I was just wondering if there are any other to be mums or even already mums out there suffer IBS? 

I’m just curious will it do any damage to the baby?? 

Any advice is much appreicated! 

Thanks.x

Replies

• I also suffer from IBS and have been wondering the exact same thing! I’m going to talk to my midwife about it at my next appointment because I have been in a lot of pain. I’ll let you know how I get on! 

• Bless! I hope you feel better! & thank you! If i hear anything ill let you know too! ☺️ X

• I have IBS & can reassure you that you don’t need to worry about it causing problems for the baby. ☺️. I have a happy healthy 2yo. 

Pregnancy actually for the large part helped settle my IBS a little bit as the progesterone slows down your digestive tract so I didn’t get the upset stomach as often! I did still have bad cramps often but I could tell that this was more gas than it was intestinal cramping. I didn’t want to take the medication (buscopan) like I usually would (just Incase it affected the baby) but I found peppermint cordial to be extremely helpful! You can buy it in most supermarkets & I would have a bit of cordial with boiling water & drink it like a cup of tea... it would totally settle the gas and cramps and even heartburn! They give in hospital for that type of thing so it definitely works! 

• Thats very helpful! Thank you ☺️🙈