Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

heartburn driving me mad

hi i was wondering if anyone can recommend anything else but gaviscon for heart burn as im going through a bottle a week. i wont know for a few days if im pregnant but i suffered bad with heart burn with all my other 4 kids from day one of getting pregnant. so fingers crossed i hope i am pregnant. but this heart burn is driving me mad at the moment. thanks kim

Replies

• Hi

I apparently eating fresh pineapple after meals helps with digestion and thus eases heart burn. Also I read recently that if you are affectd by this at night time then you should try sleeping 'propt up' with extra pillows....good luck, and hope all this finally comes down to pregnancy for you.image
  • I cannot sympathise enough with Kimberley 1, I had heart burn with my first pregnancy, I'm expecting again now and dreading its possible return, unless you've had it yourself then you cannot understand how awful it is.

Like Cooljude said, being propped up definately helped, I used one of those boomerang shaped breast feeding pillows for support, plus, I know it sounds utterly disgusting, but I used to keep a cup next to the bed (out of sight of course) and spit into it whenever the liquid came up, gross maybe, but I defy anyone who's lived through heart burn to condemn me!!!!

Older people always recommend peppermint cordial, but I have never tried this myself, a big gap between eating and bed really helped me, if you look on www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk and do a search for 'heart burn' then you'll find a list of suggested remedies.

I'm only 5 weeks gone and have miscarried before, so utterly terrified, really wishing you good luck, put a post on this page when you find out if you are pregnant x