Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Pressure on bladder

I am 18 weeks pregnant today and for the last few days i have had real pressure on my bladder, i constantly feel i need to wee but when i go there is hardly anything there. Its hard to do anything or go anywhere as when i am walking around my bladder feels so full its painful.

I had it nowhere near as bad as this in the first few weeks of pregnancy, i thought that the frequent toilet trips are at their worse in the first trimester and the third!

Have been tested for UTI but nothing came back, have no infections. It doesnt burn when i try to go either, have had urine infection before which was really painful and i know its not that.

Am hoping its perhaps just baby putting pressure on it or the expanding uterus?

Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this at this stage?

What do you all think?

Charlotte
18 weeks

Replies

• Charlotte I have been having exactly the same thing, feeling like I am absolutely busting to go then when I get there, nothing but a dribble!! It is so frustrating and painful too. I can only think it is baby putting pressure on the bladder, I constantly feel full down there. Don't forget baby is starting to weigh something now too, I just looked at babycentre fetal development and mine weighs 140 grams and at week 18 it's 190 grams ( thats half a pound!!), it doesn't sound alot but when it's bouncing up and down on your bits, you are bound to feel it.

Melissa 17+0

[Modified by: MrsTH on September 09, 2009 09:26 AM]

• Hi I have suffered with this since becoming pregnant. My baby girl is head down with her hands up by her head (i feel her punching very low and kicks very high) I did have an infection which didnt show up for a week and has now been treated but I still need to wee all the time (im up 3 times a night!)
    anyway unfortunatly there is nothing that can be done.

wannababy 23+2 with pink bump x
  • Hi Melissa,

Oh glad im not the only one having this at this stage, wasnt sure if it was normal or not and too early for baby to be putting pressure on it! It is really horrible, ive had it for 3 days now and its making me so cranky and miserable! Yes i think you are right it probably does have something to do with the weight and the size of the uterus which for me is now the size of a honeydew melon! I just hope it doesnt last too long for me or you either!

Charlotte
    18+0
  • I've been feeling like this too! TMI coming here, but if i sit up straight on the loo not much comes out however if i lean forward I can wee properly and loose that full feeling. I can't remember where i heard this tip but for me it really works! Especially before going to bed, it means i dont need to get up as often :\)

Lx
    19 weeks today image
  • I know Charlotte, i hope it doesn't last either!!

Ooooh LB I am gonna try that!! I always sit up straight!!

Thanks for that !!

Melissa 17+0
  • Me too, off now to give that a try lol!

Charlotte
    18+0
  • Me too, off now to give that a try lol!

Charlotte
    18+0
  • I had this around 17-19 wks too but I have to say its gradually lessened over the past few weeks - either I've got used to it or LO has moved. Now 22wks I almost feel back to normal - that is until I get booted in the stomach!
  • Thanks mybutler thats good to hear! Hopefully we wont have to put up with it for too long, its such an inconvience! I suppose we are getting an insight at what it will be like later on when the baby gets a lot bigger aahhh!

Charlotte
    18+0
  • i am 17weeks and currently feel like i need a big wee...

went to the docs no uti... but it is so painful and uncomfertable... doc told me to rest and take paracetamol...

reading all these comments make me feel a little more at ease but i guess when its your first (like mine) you worry about alot of things your unsure of.

really hope it doesnt last long for anyone and good luck with the future 

😊

• I actually can't even explain how much this has calmed me. I'm 15 weeks and I've been having this exact same pressure and discomfort on and off for the past week and I did a test for a UTI and all came back negative. Doctors told me I was fine and it's probably just the baby putting pressure on my bladder but I can be a hypochondriac so I struggled to believe/stop worrying. 

reading that others are going through it and know the feeling has helped hugely. First time mum struggles 😅

• edited Feb 12, 2020 9:26PM
    Long shot as this is a very old thread but this is one of the only posts I've seen on this. I'm 18 weeks and can't even manage a grocery shop, am struggling to stand or walk for more than 5 minutes before the extreme bladder pressure gets too much - it then causes me to feel faint and lightheaded. Sitting or lying down does relieve it, I've tested for UTI and came back negative and midwives are all saying this is normal and nothing that can be done but it's impacting my ability to do day to day tasks, let alone any exercise.

Did your pressure subside and did you find anything that helped ease it? Any help would be HUGELY appreciated!!
  • Hi @lb2020 welcome to the forum, but we're sorry to read of your bladder issues. As this is an old thread, there  may not be many of the original ladies around to answer you, but you would be most welcome to start a new thread with your question in. Just hit the pink new discussion button. 
    Also, we wanted to let you know we have birth clubs here too, where you can meet women due the same month as you - might be worth asking over there too? 
  • Thank you! That's great to know, will definitely post it in a new thread, thanks a lot!