Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

A work worry (also posted in july 2010 and working mums)

Hi ladies

After a bit of advice really. Here's the background...
My dream job is quite a senior role and to get it at this stage in my caree is quite unheard of, however the current person in this role is pregnant and I have been appointed as a secondment to cover her maternity leave. The problem is that I now know I am pregnant and due in July. The lady leaves this week and I start on monday! I am only just going to doctors today and we haven't old anyone about our pregnancy including employer. I am scared to tell them as I know they will be annoyed (even though I know thay can't expres this or discriminate againts me). The thing is now I will be leaving long before the other lady is due back so they will have to find another replacement (it's not an easy role to cover). The thing I was wondering is when I come back - if i am back before the original pregnant lady returns would i be entitled to go back to my seconded role of covering her maternity or would I go back to my oriinal role? I'd love to go back to the seconded role as I know there is a good chance that she wont return and then I will be permanently appointed.

Sorry for the long rambling post! It's something that is stopping me relaxing and enjoying my pregnancy. I feel sick when i think about telling my employer. I knew I was pregnant when I accepted and I think they will be mad about that - however I am not prepared to lose this amazing opportunity becaus I am pregnant!

Any advice is VERY much appreciated. xxx

Replies

• Hi sweety congrats on your BFP! I would think that because your role is seconded your employer wouldnt be obliged to offer you that role when you come back as technically, you're not contracted permanently to that job. What I would also query is the effect your seconded role will have on your benefits after birth. But this is all aaages away! Enjoy every day of your pregnancy otherwise you'll be in the home stretch before you know it and wondering where the time went!
  • hello

by law if you take 6 months off on maternity they have to offer you the terms of your contract in the role that contract states, if your contract does not include your new role it is likely you will be offered what you were doing, if you take more than 6 months they have to give you a job at the same grade and salary as your contract states however it does not have to be the exact job you had, so your secondment does not have to be given to you as this would be at the managements discrestion

you don not have to tell your emplyer that your are pregant until 25 weeks i dont think however if your job can put you at risk it does need to be disclosed as a risk assesment need to be done as soon as they are made aware so you can keep it hush if you want.

hope that helps x

becca
    34+3
  • Just a though, but if the other lady does not return, would her job not be advertised, so that you could apply for it and hopefully get it?

If you're so early on they can't prove you knew you were pregnant when you accepted the job, and you probably won't be going on maternity leave until May/June anyway, plenty of time to get your teeth into the role!
  • If I were you I wouldn't tell them until after your 12 week scan and in the meantime work really hard at this new job to try and prove you are the right person for it. If you are seconded onto this role then you will be until you leave for your M/L. However if the previous role owner decides not to return then when she the secondment is over next year even though you will be on M/L you are still allowed to apply for the role. There is a lot to consider though. This role may be full time only and after you have your lo you may not want it but just because you are pregnant you may be surprised about the amount of support you receive. One of the girls at my work is due in Jan and 2 months ago she moved to a new role which she was headhunted for. They knew she was pregnant and wanted to take a full year of M/L but because she was so good they still wanted her. it was funny as just after they advertised her job which she got they advertised it again for her secondment. XX
  • Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have been told that as part of my career succession so long as I perform during the role if she doesn't come back I will be permenantly appointed. I am just worried that it might get held against me (I know they are not allowed too but it happens). I think I shold probably tell them soon. It's a huge well known multi national company that has a good public image and I doubt very much that they would openly disadvantage me but I know that these promotions etc are very much on a 'if your face fits' basis.
  • cwhen they told you that if she didn;t come back after mat leave that you would be appointed where there any witnesses or before you disclose your pg you could ask for something to that effect in writing??? It might be a good direction to go in??