Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is anyone else knitting for their baby?

Just wondering if there are any other super-trendy, finger-on-the-pulse knitting mummies to be out there who are making nice things for their babies, it would be interesting to know what you are all making!

We use knitted covers for cloth nappies and I am in the process of knitting a pair of 'longies' - knitted trousers with room in the bum for a cloth nappy. I'm looking for a nice plainish kimono wrap pattern to make a matching set - the longies are charcoal grey with a sage trim so I want to make a sage kimono with a charcoal trim to match. Any suggestions?

Oh, my Ravelry username is TuttiFrutti if anyone else is a Raveler!

Replies

• if I could knit anything more than a wonkey scarf I deffo would- I enjoy knitting though its very realxing!
  • G/C from planning! I haven't knitted since I was a little girl (much to my grandmothers distaste!) but I am currently learning how to again. My mother was a wonderful knitter, so I am hoping I have at least some of her flare. I think it's adorable to see a child in something a mother has made. I have lots of plans of items I would love to knit as my skills grow. And since I am still stuck in planning (though about to venture into TTC in the next few weeks!!) it's actually a nice thing to do in the here and now.

• Me! Although very much a beginner I have made booties for friends, hats and I am making a ballerina wrap at the moment with only one arm left to go! It's definitely for a girl though, but I started it for my niece and got carried away with wedding preps and now she's too big for it! My next thing is a blanket, I have bought patterns from sublime and a French company called la droguerie. Really cute!
  • I havent knitted since i was a child....so i wont be knitting im afraid, i am very lucky however and my Nan and Auntie are knitting lots of cute cardis and booties etc!

xxxx
  • I'm not but i have set my mom and sister to work. I can't knit but my sister is brill. She's knitting some matching dresses and cardies xx
    vicki 31
  • my mum has done loads of knitting for me! i have cardies, booties, jumpers...
    unfortunately her ability to knit has never been passed on to me!
  • It's easy to learn! I taught myself using a combo of Youtube videos and a Knitting For Dummies book! You shoukd give it a go, it's quite nice to sit with your knitting of an evening imagining putting it on your teeny baby when it's finished.
  • Unfortunately I can't knit - sewing is more up more street. My nan has knitted me three gorgeous little cardies for day one.
  • ooh i'm a knitter and many people find it rather shocking that a 27 yr old can knit, let alone knit to a pattern, (my mum taught me when i was 4 and i've done it ever since) i've just got the most gorgeous pattern off e-bay for a matinee coat, hat and bootees. nothing beats seeing a newborn baby all cosied up in hand knitted bits.

i just wish i could crochet, as i would love to make bits for my pink bump, especially the hats and cardi's. xxxxx
  • YES, I'm a knitting nerd. Been knitting baby stuff for friends for ages, it's lovely to do it for us now.

I've done a lovely Debbie Bliss stripy hat and a matinee jacket. I've also done a sampler blanket (which still needs sewing up)

I'm interested in the longies Mrs S. I'm also Shoyu on Ravelry.

I'm with you on the crocheting charlm, mysterious art!

[Modified by: Shoyu on January 28, 2010 06:31 PM]

• been looking at buying some hand crocheted bits on ebay but they are so expensive xxx
  • No, not doing any knitting, but have enlisted my granny to do some for me.
    so instead of knitting which I can't do to save my life, I have crocheted a few blankets & am doing some nice cross stitch pics for nursery.

Jayne 30
  • I read the title of this thread as: 'Is anyone else knitting their own baby?' lol xxx
  • hi i crocheted this bunny for my baby image

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4044/4311649071_0d87b4a840.jpg

• awwww Nita that's adorable!!

Shoyu, if you do a pattern search on Rav for longies you'll get lots of free patterns - I use the Sheepy Time Knits pattern as I think it's worth a few ?? just for the excellent instructions. They're basically trousers knit in the round with short row shaping in the bum to make space for a cloth nappy.
  • i can only knit a straight stitch so i'm knitting a blanket, my husband was so intrigued he asked me to show him how. we were sitting watching glee both of us knitting!! aw bless him he's in touch with his feminine side!
  • im not knitting as i unfortunatley didnt inherit my nans, mums and auntys talent have been trying to master since i was five lol so my aunty will be doing all the work im having lots of knitted dresses and cute cardis she also crochets so she's doing all my blankets aswell will save a fortune and will be extra nice knowing its been madfe just for my baby and with love and care
  • I wish I could, my granny is a fantastic knitter and does arran (speciality scottish jumpers) rather than baby things, but I haven't a clue how to follow a pattern
  • Thanks for that Mrs S. I've just downloaded the Sheepy soakers and sheepy pants. Great for using up left over wool.
  • Lol Tattooedmonkey, my husband asked me to teach him too! He is so happy I'm pg, he wants to do as much as possible, it's very sweet. But he is left handed so I'm having trouble explaining how to do it!