Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

having a panic - Strepsils!

Hi folks
I had a scan with consultant OB on thursday past all well with bubs at 17 weeks. I have a stinking cold, so OH asked her if I could take Strepsils for my throat and she said yes, just avoid anything with 'ephedrine' in as it can raise Blood pressure. So i have been having Strepsil every couple of hours since Friday morning - however just sent OH down to pharmacist to see if I can have anything else as I am so congested i can't smell, taste or breathe - and she said nothing safe apart from a salt water nasal spray, not even Olbas Oil safe - so I got a bit paranoid and looked up Strepsils Cool on google, and they're apparently not recommended, and there was even one woman saying they slowed her bubba's heartrate down temporarily!
So worried now image midwives not really around and I'm sure won't be interested either at weekend - anyone else taken these or had any advice on them?
xx

Replies

• Normal strepsils are generally believed to be safe but havent been tested properly on pregnant women specifically. That's why there is a difference in opinion. I have taken them with no problems but it is really up to you. I def wouldn't panic tho. x
  • I've been using olbas oil and taking strepsils- I've heard Olbas is fine??
  • it probably is michmummy2B but pharmacists aren't willing to say anything is safe that hasn't been through large scale testing. I am too scared to use it now she's said that though so will call surgery for phone advice next week if this carries on. I checked and I have not been taking the Strepsils with the local anaesthetic in them (the 'extra' ones) which seems to be the 'use with caution' kind so hopefully will be ok. Kind of p'd off though that consultant OB didn't give me very thorough advice about it! too late now I suppose...

[Modified by: tennison16 on January 30, 2010 06:32 PM]

• i had a cold early on in pregnancy and spoke to the pharmasist, he told me we can only use vicks vapo rub and olbas oil. i totally understand your frustration. my general rule is if it specifically says 'not to be taken' by pregnant women i will avoid it. other than that i only ask medical professionals. i was told by doc and midwife paracetamol is ok, and it has helped when i feel really rough. anything else i try not to google too much, as there is always info on what is 'safe' but most of it is personal opinion rather than fact, which is no good to us worrying mums. NHS direct is however a trustworthy source, which puts my mind at rest, might be worth a try.

26+4
  • Thanks lilbean - think maybe I should trust the consultant Ob over the pharmacist then lol, especially as they seem to be telling us ladies all different things! Been using Extra Strong Mints, sea water nasal spray (which she DID say was safe!) and steam, and feeling a bit better this morning image
  • I had a god awful cold when I was about 23 weeks and I smothered myself in Vicks for about a week. It as horrendous and I didn't really figure it could do anything to harm the baby and it hasn't, he/she is perfect. Please don't worry, pharmacists aren't allowed to give any medical advice. Mine wouldn't even sell my gaviscon, even after reading all over the internet it was fine to take. xxxx
  • yes, they wouldn't give me Canesten the other week either and I suffered for 6 days til I cd see GP who said yes it's perfectly safe and gave me prescription. Even the pharmacist said it was completely safe but she still couldn't give me it!
  • My friend craved strepsils for weeks and ate them like sweets, she has just had a very healthy baby girl xxx
  • thanks kayleigh cakes. that's today's crisis over then, wonder what tomorrow's will be, lol lol xx
  • i was already 8 weeks pregnant when i found out that i was with child..a few days before that i took prevacid and tagamet for my tummy ache and i also used salicylic acid on my face for acne. i don't really know what's gonna happen to my baby. i'm just praying so hard that my baby will be safe...but don't worry, i think strepsils is fine. my mom used to take that medicine when she was pregnant with me and i'm fine image