Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Strong Body Odor?

Please tell me that I'm not the only one who's noticed my body sweat is smelling stronger than before pregnancy??

I never used to have to shower so often before I got pregnant. I didn't notice any difference with my first pregnancy, but this time, after about 30-45 mins after a shower, I'm starting to smell again. The odor under my arms is a lot mustier and stronger than before. I've also noticed that my vaginal ordor has changed. Before, it didn't have much of a smell, but now there's a definite change it's so much stronger, I feel like a man!!!

Why is this happening, i can't find any deodorants that work. Is it due to chemical changes?

I feel like a freak! :\?

Replies

• Thank you for posting! Thought I was the only smelly one!! I had to change my clean top and wash the other afternoon as I could smell myself so much. I feel quite gross about it and I've only just noticed it this week (I'm now 9 weeks pregnant). Didn't quite put 2 and 2 together though and only when I read your post did I realise its because I'm pregnant. Do you think its our hightened sense of smell or do we just stink?! No- one else has said anything to me yet though, not even my husband and he'd be first to say something! image
  • I really have no idea!!

I'm 11+3 weeks and noticed it a couple of weeks ago. Didn't think much of it at first, but when I realised after I wash a few mins later I smell again - then I knew something was up!

It might be that our sense of smell is now equivalent to a blood hound's, but my oh sniffed my armpits when sitting next to me and laughed because he was so shocked, he said 'oh my god you stink - I thought it was me!'

Oh well yet another glamorous symptom of being preggers!! Hehe!
  • glad u posted this too! ive had this all the way through. i have a bath every day and sometimes a shower as well, had a long hot soak last night and i smell already...! have just put on pjs as fed up changing my tops. i think some of it is due to the higher body temp too as its december and i still sleep with no duvet as its too hot!!!

ill have no excuse soon though as im due a week today! ill let u no if its true that all ur symtoms disappear with the birth!
    xx
  • Hi

I suffered very badly with this, I would literally stink within 10 - 20 minutes after showering. I assumed it was just something to do with pregnancy hormones and would go away once the baby was born but it didn't.

I looked up a million websites looking for something that might help, as no amount of deodorant or anti perspirant did anything. Eventually I found the answer... you might think this is a bit crazy but one website suggested baking soda! By this stage I was so desperate I tried it and it actually works!

The website said to use quite a lot of it, then use baby powder for a nice smell as deodorants leave a sticky film that trap bacteria and make the problem worse, though to be honest I just put some on after a shower then used a spray and found it to be such an improvement!

I know how you feel, its miserable smelling so bad when you do nothing but wash! I found the problem went away round about the time I got my first af, not sure if the two things are related but just wanted to let you know that although it does stay for a while after the baby comes, it isnt for too long.

Anyway hope the tip helps!!
  • I am totally experiencing the same thing right now. Obviously, since I google searched it. Everyone around me tells me I smell sweeter... not worse. I think our sense of smell is messed up. As for me. I'm tired of showering ALL the time trying to rid myself of this odor. I guess we gotta embrace it ladies. Either that or drive ourselves crazy. Good luck! :lol:
  • Hi Ladies,

I am 11 weeks pregnant and work closely with public. My female boss very gently put it forward to me that I smell and I need to do something about it and I shower so many times a day when I am at home and morning, afternoon and evening when I am at work. It is really difficult at work as you can't just hop in the shower.  I suddenly get a hot flush and rosy cheeks and I know it's coming and the smell will follow.  I am aware of the strong smell and I use baby powder too which helps as deodrant smells make me sick. This is awful!

• This is also my problem at the moment.I'd been sweating a lot and I dont really like my smell despite of showering twice a day. All I do to feel better is change everytime I sweat and to use lots of baby powder.

• Stupid mobile.... Anyway, what I was trying to say before was that I was wondering if I'm just crazy or if the gender of your baby has something to do with it? When I was pregnant with my son if I happened to forget to put on deoderant (because there's not enough things that pregnancy doesn't do to your body, so let's just throw in the forgetfulness!) , I never noticed ANY body odor. This time, I'm 12 weeks pregnant, and it's always first thing in the morning that my arms are awful. Like, my husband thinks it's him sometimes. I know that every pregnancy is usually different, but aside from the b.o., this pregnancy is spot on with the last one. When my friend and I were pregnant at the same time, she had a girl, and I noticed her b.o., even though she wore lots of deodorant and perfume. Anyone else notice this?

• i have with the same problems , and now for my second baby i still experience this body odor i got from my first born, ive tried everything, deodorants,showers a lot,use deodorant soap,baby powder...i sweat a lot too, i dont know whats this thing that happened...i feel depressed,...

• I am also experiencing smelly pits since the birth of my second son. About a month or so after giving birth, I began smelling like a billy goat!!! ???? When it's really bad, it smells like burnt rubber! I've tried everything--scrubbing with a body brush, alcohol, Hibiclens, witch hazel, vinegar, antibacterial soaps, all kinds of deodorant...nothing helps. I shower at least 3x a day but it stays smelly. It's just awful! My hubby (bless his heart) can smell it, too. He just laughs and says its no big deal to him (thank goodness) but it's still depressing. I read on another forum that someone used toothpaste under there. Gonna try it today. Glad I'm not alone in experiencing this but hoping it goes away soon...for ALL of us! ????
  • Also, exclusively breastfeeding. Wonder if that has anything to do with it?
  • um just a month old pregnant and um experiencing this smelly odor in my vagina.the smell is making me uncomfortable around people,what should i do?

• Before pregancy, I never smelled...Even AFTER a vigorous workout! I use the crystal rock and it works beautifully. BUT Now, and mind you I'm not very far along...we're talking 6 weeks, the first thing in the morning my armpits smell AWFUL! 

This is very disconcerting! 

• I'm 5 weeks pregnant and 5 days I had a shower washed got out and 10 min later I smelt so bad I had to shower and scrubbed my self 6 times!!! And I still smell. I think it's the hormones and the heighted sense smell as I smell it a lot more and hubby days I smell like soap. 

• I have just began noticing this too. About 6 weeks in, it started. And it's BAD. I mean, today I showered and 10 minutes later, BAM. Ewwwww. Seriously. I smell like the father after a long day outside.

It's gotta be hormones -- My sweat doesn't usually smell like this, even when there's a LOT of it. And even the exfoliation trick doesn't work (exfoliating can remove the built up deodorant and electrolytes from the pores, which can hold in the stink).

I REALLY hope it doesn't last AFTER baby -- 
    It's completely embarassing.

Hang in there, ladies.image
    I think I'll try the baking soda mentioned by someone earlier.

• Hey Girls!

I AM SOOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS FORUM! All the ladies that I know who have had kids have never experienced this! I felt like something was wrong! The doctor even told me she didnt have an answer for me image I am 21 weeks along now, and I started to notice the new odor around 4  weeks, at first I thought it was something I was doing or eating, honestly it took me awhile to clue in that I really do STINK, my man says "dont worry about it" its not big deal" But I cant handle it! I went to a health food store and of course the girls there had never heard of it, BUT! One of the girls told me to try Apple Cidar Vinagar. Soak some paper towel ( not a rag, use something that you can put in a bag and throw out, Im sure many or you are aware this stuff smells as bad as us! image ) and dab your arm pits until they are wet with it... deal with this terrible smell for approx 20 minutes and then clean your arm pits with some warm water, until you can barely smell the vinagar. It has worked for me! Sometimes I can go two days without doing it again, but you will know when its time! Baby powder is a good idea, but no deoderant! It only makes the odor worst! 
    I have come to accept this, my first baby moves like hes doing a dance for me every day, this pregnancy has been the most beautiful experience and I couldnt be more excite! So i smell... image Although, I do prey everynight it stops after baby comes! 
    Good luck ladies,  bringing life into the world is worth the stank! image

P.s I tried normal White Vinagar.. it did not work nearly as well. 

• hi ladies i was googling reasons why pregnancy brings sweaty smells and i came across this forum.i have a small remedy that used to work fr me when i had this....take one lemon cut into half.then burn one charcoal on a cooker into ashes.let it cool.then take the ashes into a small a container and leave it in ur bathroom.evry time you shower take the lemon apply the ashes on the lemon and rub it in ur armpits hard but not too hard just enough to scrub the top bit.do this evrytime u shower.then rinse off with water.leave the lemon in the ashes even if it will shrink after a few days.change after a few uses.try it and let me know if it worked.

• This is my first pregnancy so I have no  idea of what's normal or not.. :/

I've been quite ill with cramps and morning sickness (24 hours), which made me quite stressed,.. So I thought that was the reason i smelled so bad.

it really is discusting! When I lift my arms this smell just hits me in the face.. It's horrible! I can take a shower and scrub, use different soaps and wash under my armes for like five minutes every time I shower.. But then after a couple of hours it's really bad again.

the worst thing is that when I shower it doesn't  (the smell) seem to go away a hunder percent.. I feel dirty and it's quite upsetting!

Anyone have any tips? I'm getting desperate image

• Hello girls, I too have this same issue (with my armpits)... I'm 12 weeks along. I found a solution that helps tremendously. First, make sure you're drinking enough... If you're not, then your sweat is more toxic/yucky smelling.

But this is what helped me....

Step 1: Get some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle... Once you're in the bath, spray your armpits and let it sit for a couple minutes (it might sting a bit. That means it's working). Then gently rinse it off with a washcloth and some water. Then I repeated that process 2 more times. Once out of the bath, I put some baking soda on my armpits, and then 1 light layer of deodorant on. It made ALLL the difference!!!!!!!

Step 2: To wash all your shirts, bras, tank tops, etc. that you sweated in...... Spray the armpit areas of the clothes, and let them sit for 20 minutes.. Then put them in the wash. Wash with warm water, and add some borax to your load... It makes a difference. This ensures that you get all the bacteria out of your clothing so you don't get the bacteria back in your armpits. If you don't do step 2, you will have the body odour problem all over again.