Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Do second membrane sweeps work better than the first?

Hi ladies

Am currently 40+6 and clutching at straws! Just wondered if people who had had 2 or more sweeps found that the second worked when the first one didnt?

Ive had one at 40+2 and have another booked in for this Wednesday at 41+1 and am hoping and praying it has the desired effect.

Feel so ready to have this lo now

Any info you have, positive or otherwise would be great

Katy 40+6 xx

Replies

• Hiya!

I had two sweeps and I'm afraid neither worked for me, although I did have a lot of show after the second one. I was induced at 41+5 and had a very positive labour though, I remember how uncomfortable it was being so overdue so I can sympathise! Sweeps do work for many women though, I think my lo just didn't want to come out in the cold January weather!! Good luck x
  • Thanks emmsy! its good to hear you had a positive induction. I would love for this sweep to work, both to get him out safe and sound but also to avoid going high dependency etc with an induction. But what will be will be, hopefully this time in a week i will be in for induction and i should have him in my arms not too long after that!

Katy xx
  • Just wanted to add that with some inductions you don't have to be monitored all the time - with my induction as I was slightly dilated (but no contractions) I had my waters broken so no hormone drip or pessary, and it all proceeded as normal from there. I was even allowed to go into water which was great. the only downside was that I didn't get to use the midwife led unit that I had hoped to and had to go into the hospital delivery unit instead but it was all fine! Looking forward to hearing your birth announcement very soon! x
  • That was going to be my question to the midwife actually as iam hoping for a waterbith ideally. When you say you were slightly dilated do you mean as little as 1cm? Just at my first sweep she said i was 1cm so would that be sufficient do you think? I know every hospital have different policies but it would be great if i could still get my waterbirth, although i know these things rarely go to plan, its nice to dream!
    thanks again for the info
    Katy xx
  • The midwife said I was about 3cm dilated at first sweep and the same at the second although when I went to hospital to be induced the midwife there reckoned I was more like 2cm. She decided to attempt to break my waters anyway and although it was a bit uncomfortable she did manage it and the contractions started almost immediately. 1cm is a good start and with any luck you'll be further along by Wednesday or the second sweep will kick it off for you! Keeping fingers crossed you get your water birth! x
  • I had a seep at 40+6 and then another at 41+2, i went into labour the next day, i refused an induction and wasn't that happy about having a sweep as i feel that as long as everything is ok then babies should be left alone.
    xxx
    33+3
  • Thanks ladies, really hope wednesdays sweep brings good news and starts things off. I know its an age old feeling but i just feel like ive been pregnant forever now and am ready to take the next step

xx
  • Hi Katy1982, i know this is an old post and you've had your baby by now. Im just curious as to how it ended up?
    I to at the moment am 40w +6 days and i had my first sweep at 40w+ 2days, im booked for my second at 41w +1. So im in a similar boat that you were. Ive been booked in to be induced at 41w +5.

Ive read some of your other posts also after this one but you havn't said how you got on. I would very much appreciate if you would update us.

Thanks

Anna x
  • just wanted to know my wife was given 6 sweeps is this normal as we lost our baby 35 mins after she was born

• edited Apr 17, 2019 1:26PM
    Hi ladies in need of advice please im 37+4had a sweep yesterday(i was 1cm before sweep) due to health issues of mine..and my baby bein almost 8lb already. Iv started havin a mucus bloody show today.but im feeling really ill very dizzy and thirsty  and feel sick bit no pain .this is my 6th baby but never had any problems with others i just woke up in labour with them all lol. Not sure what to do.im booked in tomorrow for another sweep