Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Numb right thigh, getting worse

Hi all

One of the few symptoms I've had since finding out I'm preggers is some numbness in my right thigh, I've felt it from literally 5 weeks when I first found out. It started as just a kind of cool feeling but I'm now 8+1 and the numbness is getting worse and verges on cramp. Mainly comes on when I'm led in bed or in some seated positions but it's not there all the time.

I have read about numbness/cramps in pregnancy but it always seems to be further on, and due to the baby affecting nerves. But surely it's too early for this to be my reason?

I'm not seeing midwife till 14th Aug by which time I'll be 10 weeks. So I'm just wondering whether any of you have had this to reassure me till I get to see midwife?

Thanks
xxx

Replies

• Options
    If it's at the top of you thigh near your groin area I believe it's the sciatic nerve that the baby may be pressing on, I've had the same kind of thing for a few weeks but has eased as the baby has moved up a bit. it goes once you change position, but it has certainly been waking me up in the middle of the night. Hope this helps. x
    20 weeks
  • Options
    Hon
    Mandy's right, it coudl be sciatica or could be that your uterus is pushing on your nerves but it's very early for you. I woudl keep a little diary for the next 2 weeks to see if it's worse after sleeping (perhaps which side you sleep on could make a difference?), also what kind of day you've had, lots of walking.
    That way when you go at 10 weeks to see your MW you are armed with lots of information. Sometimes thats better as they have more to go on.
    How exciting, your first MW appt!!! xxx
    Em
    20w today!
  • Options
    I had this very early on too, until about 20 weeks! It never really bothered me and was more of a strange feeling than a painful one.
    Midwife said it was sciatica, try not to worry about it but definitely mention it to midwife when you go.

Lulu
    33+3
    xxx
  • Options
    hey hun, myLO is 8 weeks now but i had this from very early on till near the end...it was in my mid thigh on the outside?...baby is pressing on a nerve! mention it ti mw but there's nothing to worry about!

enjoy your pg...i didn't have many symptoms either and it goes soooo fast! xxx
  • Options
    I'm experiencing exactly the same thing. I keep thinking my leg is wet because it goes all cold but its just numb! Its not painful just bizarre.

I think this is just another odd pregnancy side effect. Will mention it to the midwife too and see what she says.

Nicola 22+5
  • Options
    Hi girls,

Strangely I didn't see these replies when then came through? So now that I have I wanted to say thanks for your comments.

Weird thigh is still there (at least leg hasn't dropped off!!). But when I saw the midwife on Fri she didnt sound worried, said it was earlier than usual but to keep an eye and mention it to my doc when I have an appointment with them.

It definitely helps to lay on my side, but I always seem to roll onto back during night and wake up with the numb thigh! Hey ho, if this is the worst of my symptoms, I can cope with it and would much prefer it to sickness!

Thanks again
    xxx
  • Options
    I got the same prob.Midwife said Milly (our baby) is led on my nerve and has trapped it!Cant wait till shes here in 6 weeks!