Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

im a bit worried can anybody put me at ease

im a 19year old mum to be to a baby girl..ive bin for ma second scan they say everythings fine but at the back ov my mind im worried panakin if ma baby will come out downsyndrome or anythin cos i didnt av the tests done if anythin was wrong wud they ov been able to tell..i wud be grateful if anybody could reply bk..srah xx

Replies

• Hi sarah, it is only natural to have all these doubts and worries i was the same with my first and never had any tests and had a healthy baby boy. They cant detect everything through a scan but can detect some things. Try and think positive, easier said than done i know, everyone has these feelings and the majority babies born are fine x x
  • :\) Hi Sarah try not to worry you are only young so should be a low risk. Just try to relax and enjoy your pregnancy. I also chose not to have the tests done and especially with watching eastenders lately it does play on my mind sometimes it makes you think it really does happen. The best advice I can give is to just try and be optomistic everything is going well so far isnt it. Im 17 wks my next scan is in 4 wks so cant wait for that. Take care Jo x
  • They may have checked for downes etc when they did your last blood test. it'll come back hi or lo risk and then if hi risk you can have the huge-needle-in-the-belly thing! maybe you can ask at your next appointment if you are really worried.
    try to stay positive! i'm sure they would pick up on anything at the scan. luv cx
  • this is my first baby and im 31 weeks pregnant so not far to go but i worry about the same!! especially after watching eastenders like jo sed but you cant think like that as u will drive yourself crazy!! theres nothing you can do so you just have to try and not think about it!! i have wondered but u just have to take each step as it comes!! theres nothing we can do is there so try not to worry hun
  • at 19 i would imagine you to be a low risk anyways...and like other replies, sometimes we worry anyways. I'm 26 with my first and I had the test done, knowing I would be low risk, but just incase...I haven't had a 20week scan because of whhere I live and I worry about many things that could be wrong that would have been picked up on a 20week scan. You have to ask yourself also - what would you have done if the tests had come back as high risk? Would you have gone ahead with amnio? And if those results came back as downs,...etc....its a bit of a chicken and egg situation...I'm sure you'll be fine... as will the wee girl...take care and hope all goes well. xx
  • hey,i didnt have any tests with my daughter,and she hasnt got a single health problem, i think that them tests are more for mature mums really, and if your healthy etc im sure youll be fine, they check at scans the thickness of the skin on back of neck,and if there was any cause for concern,im sure they would have advised tests,im sure youll be fine xxx
  • hey,i didnt have any tests with my daughter,and she hasnt got a single health problem, i think that them tests are more for mature mums really, and if your healthy etc im sure youll be fine, they check at scans the thickness of the skin on back of neck,and if there was any cause for concern,im sure they would have advised tests,im sure youll be fine xxx
  • Hi Sarah, Its normal to be concerned but I don't think you have anything to worry about. I had my 11 year old daughter just before I turned 18 and back then, they only offered the downs tests to women over 35 so it never even crossed my mind back then.
    But I must say that this time round when they offered the tests it made me panic a bit, worried they were trying to insinuate I was at high risk!
    Eva x
  • Hiya
    I'm 20 and due to have my first in March, I had the Downs screening where they take the measurements and took some blood, they say the average for women of our age is 1 in 1,500 but my results came back 1 in 10,541 (just to be specific!). I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, you're going through what every other pregnant woman goes through - worry! I'm currently worrying (for no obvious reason at all) that my little girl's going to come out abnormal!?!?! But there's nothing I can do about it now even if she did!! I'd love her just the same.
    Enjoy your pregnancy and sit back, relax and wait for your perfect little girl to meet you.
  • thanx for all ur replies its just summat av bin thinkin bout lately like u all say its normal for us pregnant women to worry...xx