Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

fao anyone who knows about slap cheek!!!!!

My lo,s have come bk from school today and theres been cases of slap cheek this wk...im 5wks pg and freaking out!!! Everywhere i read its about being under 12wks pg and causing miscarraige....im booking in for bloods on thursday, but was hoping for some advice from anyone else whos been in this situation....really dont want to lose this baby, km xxxxxxxxxx

Replies

• i didnt no this and my little one had slap cheek, when i was early preg a few months ago, but im fine , i had no idea it could be dangerous for preg ppl. sorry dont have any advice for you but didnt want to read and run.
    do you have a midwife yet ? if you cant ask them then try nhsd
  • i didnt no this and my little one had slap cheek, when i was early preg a few months ago, but im fine , i had no idea it could be dangerous for preg ppl. sorry dont have any advice for you but didnt want to read and run.
    do you have a midwife yet ? if you cant ask them then try nhsd
  • Ive got an appointment with her on thursday, the web can be a bad thing i guess....its the not knowing thats getting to me...i think its 2wks for the bloods to come back showing if u have it or not...ive never had chicken pox either.....but am naturally immune...am hoping i am for this too xxx
  • hi i would go and see your gp and get blood tests done they will let you know if you are immune or not. there has been a few posts about this, check back a few pages and you can read more about our experiences.

take care becs xxx28+5wks
  • Hi Woomummy!

Congratulations on your pregnancy - I didn't know you had got your BFP! That's great news.

Sorry to hear there is also a scare about this in your child's school - it's an awful thing to be worrying about. Could you get a blood test to see if you are immune? Supposidly 60% of the adult population are...sadly I'm not one of them! But in the first instance it could be something that provides you with peace of mind. I think the chances of adults catching it is slim but there have been one or two people on here who have caught it so the statistics don't reassure me much. I think in the first instance it would be a good idea to raise the matter with your GP or midwife and see what they say.

Anyway, if you need a chat or a panic - I'm here busy panicking about the same thing so do feel free to post me a message. x x x
  • Oh hun thanks, how many weeks ru now??? Yes i got a + 7dpo....but didnt believe it and tested everyother day and they just get stronger so i guess im convinced now....that and no af either!!! Hopefully means i have a tough bean in there....feel gd a bit sick and crampy on and off but thats normal...right?!? I couldnt believe it saw the notice yesterday and my heart sank...had to ring them today and tell them im keeping the boys off til i get my results back...didnt want them to know about the pregnancy...but had no choice! Am getting bloods done tomorrow...its quite a wait then isnt it for the results? What r they going to do now hun that u have it??? I know i shouldnt but as im so early everywhere i read it says if u get it in the first 12wks there isnt much hope....not sure what to believe.....glad someone else here is going through it...u can drive yourself crazy with your mind cant u!!!! kim xxxxxxxxx
  • SOrry to butt in on your preg forum - I am a nursery nurse and we had an 'outbreak' of it at work when I was about 13 weeks. My work were very good about it and told me to self certify myself as sick until I got my blood tests done and the results back. Fortunately I was immune - I also had chicken pox as a child so I think thats a factor. My mw told me that the risk is for pre 20 weeks - sorry if this adds to your scare but she did say that in all her years of having to test she has never had anyone who hasnt been immune. Hope all goes well and try not to worry too much.
  • Hi Woomummy

I'm 18 weeks tomorrow - doesn't time fly!

I don't have the virus as yet (sorry didn't make myself clear in first message) but I'm not immune (most people are) to it so could catch it if exposed - still could have caught and not yet know, if a colleague I work closely with has caught it off her child who's in daycare where there is an outbreak (trouble is there's often no symptoms so you don't know you're contageous or have it). I just have to have two more repeat blood tests (10 days and at 4 weeks) to make sure that I don't develop this. I think after 20 weeks the risk is lower so I only have to keep well for two more weeks and I should be OK. Saying this, another woman at 28 weeks has it on here and is being monitored very closely so I'm not sure whether it's a risk at any stage. I read the NHS direct website which didn't mention anything specifically about the first twelve weeks - it just mentioned that between weeks 9-20 the baby had a 3% chance of getting anemia. They seemed to suggest the miscarriage risk was raised by 15% for first and second trimester but even so said the risk of it transmitting to the baby was quite low. So it does seem that quite a long chain of events would have to take place in order for the baby to be at risk...of course, as I'm a worrier, I still panic about this.

By the way, I also had some crampy feelings in the early days so don't get too concerned - quite a few people post messages asking this and most people seem to suggest that they had this too.

Good luck with your blood tests! Let us know how you get on x x x