Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

A Cheesy question

I'm a little confused as to what cheeses us pregnant ladies can eat. I know we can't have blue cheese and we can have cheddar but what about cottage cheese and feta cheese and cheese triangles... help please! x x x

Replies

• we can eat cottage cheese, cheese triaangles and even philadelphia. just noy unpasteurised cheese or blue veined cheese, feta, mozarella etc
  • Cheers for that claire. x oh bugger i ate feta cheese about a month ago... ooops! I keep craving it with olives! Another one off the food list then! Glad about the cottage cheese though.. i fancy it on a bagel and just bought some from tesco. x
  • I was told not to have any unpasturised, Blue veined, soft of processed cheese. I was told by doc that were only allowed cheddar cheese. but i don't know everyone tells you something different
  • You're welcome. I love cottage cheese on a jacket spud topped with grapes. sounds grim but is gorgeous!!!!!
  • well i guess cottage cheese would be classed as soft.. hmmm what to do? I really fancy some but i guess i should avoid it just in case.. any other opinions?
  • Have a look at www.midwivesonline.com they have pretty good advice on there. I have eaten cottage cheese all the way through my pregnancy as I was told it was fine because it is pasteurised. I ate it all the way through my first pregnancy too!
  • Will do thanks claire.. will be having cottage cheese for dinner if i can!! I like it with pineapple!
  • Yum! Might have to have that for dinner now on a nice crispy jacket spud!
  • I love cheese. I'm not a medical professional but the cheeses I have been told are ok are: Cheddar, Edam, Austrian Smoked, Cottage Cheese, Philidelphia, Dairylea, Processed Cheese Slices.
    As ClaireWeston said, if its pasturised it should be ok.

Really miss Deep Fried Camenbert Wedges with Cranberry, Brie & Bacon Baguette and Stilton & Brocolli Soup.
  • is port salut alright? that stuff is so nice.. dipped in coke. yum!
  • Just checked out the food standards agency website.. it says that cottage is def ok. Also said that feta was fine too... Yay! It didnt mention port salut though. I miss stilton with a large glass of wine on the side!!
  • Mmmmm a brie and bacon baguette!!!! Don't know what port salut is soz jaynie!
  • what about boursin, love the pepper one.
  • I have checked online and Wikipedia says Port Salut is a paturised cows milk cheese so you should be ok. Actually, it sounded really nice, I might have to track some down.
  • thank you imageimageimage readin that while wathin avenged sevenfold on scuzz.. could my day get any better?! i doubt it!
  • I investigated feta and most places say its ok? I'm confused!! But when am I not!!!!!
  • It's not 'soft' cheese, it's 'soft-rinded' cheese e.g. brie, camembert etc. (honestly, some midwives, they don't know quite what's being referred to so they make it up!!!!) You can eat baked camembert because once you've cooked the food you've essentially sterilised it - but it doesn't count if all you do is warm it through, you do have to cook it!!! If in doubt check the label for an indication of whether the cheese is pasteurised or not. This is why mayonnaise is a no-no if you make it at home because you use raw egg, but Hellmans is fine cos it's made with pasteurised egg - BTW you can buy pasteurised egg from supermarkets and use that in which case it's fine. What you're looking out for is foods that can harbour dangerous bacteria - so basically anything that gets left out of the fridge, uncovered, or for too long in this weather is potentially dangerous - including cheddar. And there are some things to look out for which are not obvious: the 'no spices' thing came about largely because of take away curries - well, with most places the curry is ok, the more dangerous bit is the rice! so dont' keep your takeaway hanging around... Have I helped or is everyone now really confused...?