Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Terrified I won't cope with my 5yr old and a newborn!

Hey

I have been looking after my friends 2 yr old who is a normal 2yr with the usual tantrums and strops a 2yr old has.
My son however is 5 and he has become increasingly difficult with bad attitude, waking at 5 in the morning and being generally stroppy.

I have really struggled with the 2 of them today and feel like crying!
I am 16+2 and it's really scared me today that I will not cope with a newborn as well as my son.

Does anyone with older children have a similar age gap and can tell me how they coped!! My son will be 6 2 wks after baby is due!

Xxx

Replies

• me ds1 was 5 and turned 6 12 weeks after ds2 was born : re the strops etc totally with you on this I think it is an age thing too as the kids mummys that I amfriends with in his class are saying the exact same and his friends in the street of the same age (we are lucky in that there are 6 wee boys his age lol ) are all displaying the same behaviour, its like having a mini teenager some times lol you will cope, you will because you just have to lol it is tough but when you see your two wee kids laughing together and how quickly they bond it melts your heat, my ds2 just lights up when he sees or hears his big brotherm they just love each other xx
  • Oh my god he is just like Kevin the teenager! I know he will make an awesome big bro and is very excited about the baby.
    Generally he is a good little boy snd always checks to see if I'm ok or going to be sick!! Lol!

Thank you fir your reply. Glad I know it should all be ok!

Xxx
  • i was worried about this too and it's not just boys acting like stroopy teenagers, my 5 year old girl is just as bad. i kept thinking where am i going wrong. i think also because our emotions are more extreme at the mo it seems worse than maybe it is. Or maybe I'm trying to convinve myself. LOL!! i know she will love being able to help and stuff but she can't wait for baby to be old enough to play with.
  • My son was seven when my baby was born last year. From finding out I was pregnant he was really happy about it, we told him quite soon as he was bored of being an only child. He coped pretty well with things, he was his normal self, no more trouble than normal and was looking forward to the baby.
    I have never looked back, he is my little star, he helps me as the age gap is perfect he likes being a big brother - dont get me wrong he wont do nappies lol! but he is still my right hand man! they love each other you can tell.

In fact its been so good that I am so looking forward to when this baby is born in October! if it was that bad people wouldn't go on to have a third! I panciked so much thinking I wouldn't cope, having one at school and one at home and all the running around but you just DO cope! and you wont want to change it!
    My son has enjoyed playing with the baby since birth! now that the baby can crawl and sit up and play chase he absolutely LOVES it!

You'll be fine! its mean't to be! so dont feel dread! feel excitement! it'll be great for them!
  • hi i have a 5 yr old and a 2 yr and i am preg with no 3.

when no 2 was born my first was 3.5yrs, and i worried the exact same.

all i can say is, it is different when the two kids are yours, and you will just fit in to your own wee routine, and pretty soon you will forget what it ws like to be just you and your 5 yr old.

honestly, you will be fine, i am going on to have a third, after being the same as you and worrying i wouldnt cope with 2.xx
  • thanks ladies!

i know it will be alright but its just the fear of the unknown i suppose. he is dead excited bless him. i took him to mothercare and he helped pick the cotbed and carseat colour bless him.

this is our last baby as hubs going for the snip after baby born!!

thanks for the reassurance
    xxx
  • Of course you will cope.. your pregnant remember so hormones make everything seem so much worse!

My daughter is 22 months and my son is 4 weeks old. The first 2 weeks where tough while we adjusted and i got over the baby blues (again damn those hormones) but now its jsut fine! Much easier than i expected image Granted i dont sit down much during the day but thats not there fault its just juggling everything!

You will be fine.. especially as at 5 years old he will probably be going or already going to school? Good luck and dont worry xx
  • He is in school already so during the day it's not really a prob.
    I know it will be hard fir all of us adjusting fir the first few weeks!
    I think it is the hormones and I know when it's my own children it will be different!
    Darn pregnancy hormones making me crazy! Lol
    Thanks again for the replies
    Xxx
  • also remember when you are pregnant you feel so god damn tired everything seems impossible. Im worrying exactly the same about how i will cope but then i remember im actually not quite at my best as im pregnant....the sickness the heartburn the backache the constant tiredness all of it drains you once youve had baby, although you will be tired its not that draining the life out of you tiredness and you are able to get on with things that seemed such a mission whilst pregnant.

I do like being pregnant sometimes but i have to say i cant wait to have the baby i always feel soooooo rough with pregnancy and having a 3 year old doesnt help.

Plus whilst they are at school you get to spend quality time with your baby, im really glad i have a bigger gap now as it means i can spend more one to one time with the baby.

lelly
    xxxx