Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

O/T Are you a twit if you use the word t*at

Been reading about David Camerons use of the word on a radio show (he was talking about twitter and said

"The trouble with Twitter, the instantness of it - too many twits might make a twat"

and been reading articles http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8176194.stm which seem to say that the Tw word isnt in the realms of the C or F word.

But i think its discusting and wouldnt dream of saying it am i out of date??

xxDBxx

Replies

• I use the word t**t when my brother annoys me lol not in a vicious way just casually as id use the word idiot?!

Some people find different words more offensive then others, i grew up in Ireland so use the work F**k in every day sentences as its just a part of vocab over there. I however dont like the work c**t and think its vulgar but thats me.

You're no out of date just have a different view on the word i guess.

xx
  • i thought it was quite funny, i hate twitter
  • I really don't like that word either so if your out of date I am too lol x
  • twat - i didnt think this was an actual 'swear' word....like calling someone a fool????

I have heard this word 'twat' alot at work...kind've like a friendly insult - like you 'wally'
  • It's a vile word, right up there with the C word and definitely worse than the F word! And I'm not a prude by anyone's standards!

I'm shocked he said that! I like him (as politicians go, anyway) but that's sent him down a bit in my estimations.
  • G/C from planning image
    I would cringe is someone used it in open conversation but I have been known to call a few drivers it when i've been cut up or they've performed some demonic, idiotic move!!
    Would never ever use the C word - that to me is something I wouldn't even begin to think to use.
    I tend to use Eejit a lot - its my safe word!

PP84 x
  • Just read that he didn't know its actual meaning and has since apologised. I wonder how many other people just think it's a funny variation on the word twit, as opposed to a really vicious insult?
  • For me, t**t is probably the most offensive word alongside c**t.

I wonder if where we are from makes a difference. I am from up North, but down South where my sisters live, t**t is commonplace, they don't find it offensive.

That said, it IS offensive to some people, and David Cameron can't plead ignorance, he wants to be Prime Minister, he ought to get in touch with reality.

I used to actually like him...

Cate
    34+0
  • Im right on the south coast (can see the sea lol) and as far as i knew it virtually meant the same as the C word. It certainly refers to lady bits in a v vulgar way.

Maybe at Eton they dont get exposed to that sort of language, did make me feel he was a bit of a out of touch toff. but thats just me :lol:

tho glad im not the only one who thought it was bad, dont like feeling like a prude lol

xx
  • Ooh I think ignorance in this case IS just about
    a valid excuse. Although I guess he ought to just not have used it if he wasn't 100% sure of what it meant.

Agree with you Cate that t* is very nearly as bad a c* - and I'm a Southerner born and bred, and originally from a pretty rough area where swearing is as natural as breathing, at that.
  • G/c but I'm from up north where t*at is considered offensive. MIL is from Bristol where it apparently means nothing more than idiot. Imagine the looks round the table when she piped up over Christmas dinner that she "felt a right t*at in the party hats cos they're always too small for her!" Jaws literally dropped!!!! We then had to explain to MY mum why we were all so gobsmacked. That was a comfortable conversation lol!
  • Im from Ireland and I hear that all the time but it was always just used as another variation of eejit, I never heard it used as a really vulgar or offence word before.
  • I was having this conversation with one of my friends. She said that saying t*at was not offensive - was a bit like calling someone a fool - I however find it REALLY offensive - probably the most offensive word I could be called. I associate it closely with the word c*nt. Also, I swear quite a bit (obv. not infront of the kids) David Cameron really needs to be more aware of lingo in EVERY part of the country - not just his constituencies.
  • I was brought up not far from Bristol and like zoes mil, thats what I ahve always known it to mean. Swear words were never used in my circle of friends or family; It wasn't until i met my oh and called him it once when we had a big argument and he found it offensive did i find out the true meaning!

Being unaware to its tru meaning I would ahve said it was quite a tame word. Knowing its tru emaning, I understnad why people find it very offensive.

I rarely swear, and if i ever do its on teh occasions when teh oh really winds me up and I just ahve to tell hime to f** off to vent my anger. I would find C*** and T*** offensive.
    Pinkprincess, I think I need to find a safe word when needing to vent at oh!

Interesting views.

I've just googled it and to clarify, nobody is right or wrong as the word T*** has two meanings.
  • Ive decided that no one cant know that its at least a little bit rude so i think its actullay a very clever spin campaign. At the end of the day i dont approve of the word but its got me talking about Cameron...

xxDBxx