Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Hope for anyone worried about 2nd labour

I just wanted to share my amazing experience.
I had my first boy 2 years ago and it was hideous - I was induced 2 weeks overdue and had to take every drug going, baby got into distress and I had to be rushed to theatre where he was dragged out kicking and screaming with forceps. Labour was 12 hours. Recovery took a while and bubs and I were kept in hospital for over a week.
I stressed out for nine months about what would go wrong this time and have been terrified about going through all that again.
But, my little star arrived 3 weeks ago, on his due date, after a two hour labour, a bit of gas and air (no time for anything stronger!), 3 pushes and there he was. He was totally perfect and started bf immediately with no problems. We were released from hospital 8 hours later and I was home in time to make ds1's dinner! The following day, despite stitches, I managed to take my boys for a nice walk round the park.
So I just wanted to reassure anyone who had a rubbish time first time round, that the second time can be much easier - I was surprised that my 2 labours could be so very different. I always thought it sounded cheesy when people say this, but my body really did know what to do second time round!
Good luck to anyone due soon, I hope you have as good a time of it as I did!
Mrs C

Replies

• Just wanted to say it was lovely reading that! you sound like a super mummy too.. making dinner and walks to park! wow!
    luckily my first labour was positive, quick, just gas and air, vaginal delivery, 2nd deg tear, no probs really.. which funnily enough is making me panic about the 'unknown' with the birth of my 2nd pending!

36+3
  • thats very reassuring, thank you for posting. i keep trying to tell myself that this time could be very different, but i can't help but expect the same as with ds (induced, little progression, fetal distress, ended in em c section after 4 days induction, so vbac this time) particulalry because i need to be continually monitored this time so won't be very mobile (if at all)...but fingers crossed i get a great experience this time like urself xx 29+0

oh and congratulations!! x

• Thank you so much for posting this! I'm 14+6 with our second and i'm terrified of having the same labour experience this time around.

With Lucy i laboured for 22 hours, she was back to back, stuck, heart rate dropping, episiotomy, tear, forceps and PPH. After all the trauma missy was fine, but i had to be kept in for 3 days due to the blood loss. I suffered PND as a result of a traumatic birth experience and i'm praying this time around is much more positive.

Thank you so much again, and massive congratulations x x x
  • i was a lot like u with my 1st labour but it was only 7 1/2 hr long and when i was pg with layla i was worried about the birth and didnt wont 2 go the same way as i did 1st time i was dut 3 times 2 get samuel out. i went in 2 labour on my own so that was gd got 2 hos and thay said i was 4cm and my waters had gone was in a rm for 45min then got put in my labour rm and with in 10 min i told the mw i had 2 push she said ok let see.she had a look and said ok baby is there and with 1 more push u baby will be here and she was right she was born. i was only in labour for 1hr 29min and didnt do it was anythink and was fine down there and was home 4hr later so yes i loved my 2nd labour and i would love 2 do it all again hope 2 in a few years x

sarah,samuel and layla x x
  • Ahh, great read and just want I want to hear! Just found out i'm pregnant with no 2 and still haven't recovered emotionally from my previous birth experience. I went two weeks over and was induced too, long and horrible labour ended in em c-section. Really hope 2nd time round will be better and trying for a vbac like wowbaby.

Thanks for sharing, given me a lot of hope! Well done you!
  • Thanks for this. I am not pregnant yet (love stalking still on here, DS is 7 months) but have concerns about labour no.2 already.
    It wasnt a particularly traumatic labour but he was b2b, got stuck, I had a lip on my cervix so had to resist pushing and wasn't allowed any pain relief (gas and air) until I had been in labour for 10 hours because I wasn't dilated enough. Because of the position he was in I was having 45 second long contractions 2 minutes apart within an hour of waters breaking and first contraction and they told me I wasn't in proper labour so I couldn't have anything.
    All in all it lasted 15 hours and I managed with gas and air so know it could have been a lot worse but I am still hoping for a far more straightforward labour next time!!
  • Thanks for this it was really reassuring to read- I'd a similar experience as Bliss (were you Bellah? lol) and although I'm hoping for a vbac, I do worry that maybe my body 'can't' labour so to speak since i went so overdue and no amount of sweeps, gels etc could make my dd come out. I know the health of lo and myself are paramount but I personally hate the thought of a section again ;(
  • G/c a bit like Miss I!!

Dd is 7 months old and we're in month 2 of ttc!! My first labour was awful and I still get testy eyed now as I feel I failed as I couldn't push her out. I know there's others out there with worse but for me it was awful! I am so pleased you posted this though as it gives me hope for the future and for nr2!!

Jem
    xx