Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

"Slapped Cheek Syndrome" - anyone had it whilst pregnant?

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone had caught this whilst pregnant and how your GP had dealt with it?

It's official name is parvovirus and it's also known as 5th disease, it's a viral infection that causes a rash.

My soon to be 3 year old son has caught it, no idea where from, and has got spots all over his body, he had a high temp at the start of the week but seems to be at the tail end of it now, no more spots have appeared over the past couple of days.

Now my 10 month old has started today with exactly the same symptoms, rash, high temp, generally being grumpy.

When I took the eldest to the GP on Tuesday he said Casper would be fine and it would work it's way out of him in a few days which it seems to be dong, and at least I know what to expect now that Alex has caught it from him.

The worst part of it is if I start with it it could be bad news for the baby I'm expecting. I had to have a blood test to check to see if I have immunity against it. If not and I get it from one of them it can cause something called "fetal hydrops" which nhs direct say is "abnormal fluid in the development of the baby" and can lead to it's heart failing.

The good news is that this is only likely to be a problem in the first 20 weeks whilst the baby is developing and I'm 22 weeks today, so technically just out of the danger zone. My GP is going to ring me with the blood test result when he gets it and talk about what we can do if I'm not immune.

Has anyone gone through anything like this with this illness whilst pregnant? Any advice would be appreciated if you have.

Kelly x

Replies

• Hi Kelly i was exposed to this particular virus when pregnant with my first baby at between 19 and 20 wks. It turned out i wasn't immune and i did actually contract the virus and thankfully my daughter now two and a 1/2 is more than perfectly fine - it did cause me some worries at the time - but what you must remember is that guidelines and effects are always over cautious and risks are minimal. Take Care Jojo-mummy x