Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Induction Advice

Hi ladies, I'm booked in to be induced tomorrow afternoon and wondered if anyone could share their experiences with me? Am curious and very nervous! I have to be at the hospital for 3pm, when they will monitor the baby for an hour then I have my first lot of gel at 4pm.

I'd love to hear from those other Mums that have experienced induction!

Thanks,

Emma 41 weeks + 3

p.s Why do they not start induction early morning?????

Replies

• Options
    Hi emma, i cant give you any advice on induction as ive not been there yet, just wanted to wish you all the best and hope labour isnt too bad for you. Good luck! xxx
  • Options
    Hi my experiance was:

like an internal they place a hand up there to place the gel, if you get a nice nurse then it doesn't hurt too much but my doctor was rough and hit every nerve ending i have in there which felt like they were connected to every nerve ending in my body! and all she could say was relax, as if!

sometimes it works on the first go but mine took 3 goes so by the 3rd it was very painful. They only do 1 a day so be prepared to go in for at least a few days and if it doesn't work then they put you in for a sun roof jobby as you can't have any more than 3 aparently.

we went in in the afternoon but asked and they let me go home after their checks to sleep in my own bed and then went back in in the morning for the first gel.

take some earplugs the lady next to me snored like a freight train and plenty of books, make sure you get plenty of visitors otherwise you can feel a bit lonely.

be prepared for a sweep if the gel isn't working, and speak up for yourself. My waters broker and I went into labour at 10.30pm but they kept saying not it was the sweep/gel so i didn't get any sleep as i was in pain all night and all they would give me was paracetamol. went to labour ward to have my waters broken at 11.30am only because i begged for someone to check me out as was in so much pain (rang hubby at 6am and told him to get in because i needed some support even though technically he wasn't allowed in till 9am) and found out was 3 cm dialated and waters already broker!

gas and air is great - if you're in pain ask for this i think i had an epidural too soon so didn't progress and by 11pm was that tired i was happy when they said it would be a sun roof jobby.

when James was born though didn't care he was fantastic and it was all worth while

Just keep in mind IT NOTS FOR LONG and THERE IS AN END to the pain.
  • Options
    Hi Emma

I've had 2 inductions due to pre-eclampsia - first at 38 weeks and then another on my due date. I ended up with an epidural both times and they both took around 18 hours or so. It was painful (before the epidurals) but then both of mine were back to back labours so more painful and longer anyway! I thought the epidurals were great and haven't suffered any back problems afterwards.

I couldn't really feel to push...but just imagined pushing for england and never had to push for more than 10/15 mins.

The only thing I would say is that if you are booked in for an induction then they will make sure that you have plenty of attention etc during labour.

Good luck and lucky you getting to see your baby so soon...I have to wait until December and hopefully another induction...dont think I could cope with going into labour normally now!!!

Cally.x
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice girls, I'll let u know how I get on! x
  • Options
    hi
    well i was induced at 38 weeks with pre-eclamsia and i was started off at midnight, i had one lot of prostin then then another at 7am and all i had was little twinges my waters got broke at 1pm and i got to 2cms and that was that, then i ended up having an emergency section at 12.20 am the following day for failure to progress. i blame the midwife that looked after me wgile i was having the prostin, she told me not to move from my bed all night and when i told the midwife that looked after me during my lscs she said i should have been up and mobile, well i got rather angry and i was not impressed at all. but i got my little girl and she was healthy so that was the main thing.
    i now work on the labour ward where i was induced but the midwife who told me to stay in bed doesnt work there any more.
    my advise would be to rest for half hour after the prostin is first inserted to give it time to take effect then get up and move....walk, dance or swing your hips from side to side. dont worry bout how silly you might look i am afraid when you go into labour you leave your dignity at the door and pick it up on your way out lol.
    take care and good luck.
    sassie. xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your advice!!! I have to say that I am quite nervous, but excited that it'll all be over and we'll be a proper little family soon! x