Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Are nuchal scans dangerous what do they do?

Hi ya ladys hope you and your bumps are well? I have a nuchal scan coming up and iv had 4 mc in past and worried that this scan will be danger to my baby? What do they do at these scans and are they dangerous? I would love to see the baby but not if its dangerous. X x

Replies

• Hi, I'm sure this is just the same as an ultrasound. They are checking the Nuchal fold which is near the back of the baby's neck. It is a straight forward scan so not dangerous to you or the baby. It will be a lovely chance for you to see your little one. As far as i know they just measure the fluid on the screen the same as they would measure the little ones size. I've never had one but i'm sure that is right from what i've read about them in magazines.
    Hope all goes well for you xx
    Good luck xx

Shell (30 weeks)
  • Aww thank you hunny thats put my mind at rest. X x enjoy rest your pregnancy not long now.x.x.
  • Woohoo been so scared thank you so much ladys u have made my day x
  • hi crystal, a nuchal scan is of no danger to u or ur baby. it is just a normal ultrasound scan but the difference is they take a measurement off the screen image to measure the thickness of the babys neck as this can be an indicator of downs syndrome. its all done in with ur normal 12week dating scan if ur area offers the nuchal screening as it takes a very well trained sonographer to measure this accurately, they will normally then combine this result with the 'triple blood test' results usually done at 16 weeks if u choose to have them to ascertain ur risk of down's, spina bifida and other nuchal problems.

xx