Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

low iron and iron tablets

I was just wondering if any of you are on iron supplements and if so what ones? I had a call from the receptionist at the doctors today to say a prescription has been done for me for iron tablets due to low iron from last blood test (I have regular blood tests to keep an eye on platelets) anyway when taking one I noticed it said take ONE twice a day but I thought the prescription said once a day so I searched online whether twice a day was right and it came up saying these particular tablets aren't ranked liked all medicines should be and that the risks should be explained, then another website said 'no known harmful effects'! Its worried me a bit as I'd rather be taking some that are known to be SAFE!! Any suggestions? Xxx

Replies

• hi im taking iron tablets (fersaday) and am taking them twice a day under drs orders even though the leaflet inside says once a day. Call your dr and ask them to explain why you are taking what you are.
  • I've just gone onto iron tablets and Im on 1 twice a day. I hate them, but as I keep being told, they are doing me good. X
  • New Mrs L I'm on the fersamal ones, Annieuk which ones are you on? I've read that the ones i'm on aren't ranked by the FDA and no known effects to harm baby but is there no iron tablets that are perfectly safe?? xxx
  • im taking iron tabs 1 3times a day x mine are called ferrous x

[Modified by: lilly_kick on July 25, 2010 10:57 AM]

• I dont know if this is what you are looking for...but I am taking spa-tone iron supplement. They are about ??7 from Boots and are liquid sachets and you can take 1-2 per day and are suitable for pregnant ladies x