Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

20 week scan- Large Stomach and Prominent Gallbladder

Help! Does anyone now anyting about these things. Dr thought there could have been a "double bubble" or blockage futher down but seemed to be reasured a little about this by the end of the scan. He did note though that the baby has a large stomach, and a "prominent gallbladder". I have googled these and both i see can point to downs, which wouldnt worry me so much if baby hadnt had a large nucal fold at 12 weeks. Bloods at 12 weeks all came back normal though, or didnt increase the risk anyway.
As soon as we said we didnt want an amnio that was the end of it, the dr shut the ultra sound down and we left. But now im home and have had a night to think about this im so annoyed i didnt ask to be re-scanned in a few weeks or something like that.
Does anyone know what a large stomach and or large prominent gallbladder could mean for the baby. Has anyone had this and it turn out to be nothing?
Thanks for reading x

Replies

• Hey hun i have no idea what it could mean for the baby but did they offer you an amnio recently or because of the high nucal fold scan? I would def ring your mw and if i was you i would be very unhappy if they didnt rescan you or at least reassure you its madness that they have just send you away without any word of what it could be or another scan to recheck at 34-36 weeks? xx
  • Thanks, I do feel we need more reassurance. The amnio was mentioned yesterday at the scan. The consultant was basically saying that thats the only way we would know if it were downs as futher scanning wouldnt show us this, and we didnt want the amnio so it wasnt discussed anymore. But i now realise he didnt give us any reasons for the large stomach and prominent gallbladder, other than downs. So in themselves they could be something that i would like to know about! I think i will def speak to midwife, although im not seeing her until 28 weeks, and ask for a re-scan.
    Thanks for your reply x
  • Oh i dont think we have an antenatal class that i could drop into. I do have her number so could give her a call. I just always feel like shes really busy. But youre right, I dont think waiting will reduce my stress!
    Thanks x
  • Sod it if shes busy hun this is your unborn baby and she should be there to support you in any way you need it.

I really do think the consultant should of explained more to you about what it could be i.e if he is thinking it is downs what your options are amnio or not and where to go from here on in. Ring in the morning sweet there is no point you stressing and it will affect bubs to. Make sure you get some answers let me know how it goes xx
  • Thanks for your replies. I left the midwife call yesterday and got myself in even more of a tizzy for having another 24 hours of worry! So i rang her early this morning and just hoped that she would understand what i was saying and why i was so concerned. She totally understood and said that she would also want a re-scan.
    So she is ringing the consultants secretary this morning and will try and arrange for a re-scan. I think that if they say they dont feel this is nessisary i will have to persist and explain that they have documented these concerns so there is definatly something not right. And failing all else we will have a private scan, although i cant imagine a normal sonographer being willing to comment on this, and it could end up leading to more worry. So fingers crossed they just bok another scan in a few weeks!
    Thanks x
  • My sister's gallbladder failed 6 months into her pregnancy.
    The doctors decided to wait til 6 weeks after she gave birth to remove it.
    Few weeks after the surgery later she was back to normal.