Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Bloody selfish SIL - can you tell me if i'm overreacting??

2»

Replies

• i don't think it's selfish of her to want to get married abroad. but i also don't think you should feel under any pressure what so ever to actually go. one of my closest friends was on a 4month travelling holiday around the world on the date i chose for my wedding and i could tell she was fuming but i wasn't going to change my mind for her when it was MY day! lol. if that's where she wants to get married then so be it, and it would be costly when ever she planned to do it, and traveling with kids at any age isn't easy. i understand it's a shame as you probably want to be there.. but these things happen and i'm sure she will understand your reasons if you decide not to go. perhaps hubby could go and you stay home with LO? xx
  • Sorry to be contrary but...we got married in the Dom Rep last November. SIL & BIL brought their 8 month old baby (so yes abit older than your little one will be) and they loved it - actually, baby grew and was weaned within the two weeks (the staff mashed up the all inclusive food for him to try), had his first splash in the pool...it was wonderful. He laughed all the way through (but then his is such a good baby and did not cry once either the flight there or back. Lucky I guess!)
    And yes, all our guests paid for themsleves. But we always said to everyone, we would love you to come, and completely understand if you can't, but this is our dream wedding and we will be getting married there.
    Would only not have gone through with it if both sets of parents couldn't have gone.
    It is their wedding, please don't make them feel compromised about it.

Just the other side of the coin.

***Having read the posts properly (!), I agree that it is selfish for her to get arsey with you. And she shouldn't tell you that you are overreacting.How you deal with YOUR baby is nobody's business but yours and your hubby's***
    Good luck.

MrsJD

[Modified by: MrsJD on April 18, 2008 11:47 PM]

[Modified by: MrsJD on April 18, 2008 11:50 PM]
  • I'd feel the same as you and would be very anxious about taking baby such a long way whilst still so young AND I also think you are right not to ignore the financial implications for your family.

My tip is to make a list of all the concerns that you have and ask your miswife or a health visitor about the, For example do you need innoculations to travel to Tabago? If so will both you and baby need them. How will they affect breastfeeding etc?

Whilst she may want her brother to be there I can't imagine many people would chose a destination like that and not be suprised if people cannot attend - especially if they have to find the money themselves and have a small baby.
  • Omg how funny is this! I only posted on this yesterday and this morning its been announced that my sil (well...my bfs sister!) is going to be getting married this year in Sept/Oct, probably in Cyprus or Greece, havent booked it yet but definitely this year. So looks like we will be travelling with a young baby too. Its going to be hard to afford but we definitely want to go. xxx

http://bd.lilypie.com/Akv50/.png

• Hey, for me anyway the prospect of taking a little one isnt the issue, My 13th month twin boys have been carted here there n everywhere and are usually less stressful than carting my husband around, for me it would be about the money. When a lo comes along not only does your income drop but your outgoings double. I couldnt justify ??2500 for a holiday. I wont be able to go to my bf wedding in portugal (n i was meant to be bridesmaid) as im gonna be 8.5 months pregnant so she has arranged for a video link up so i can watch on the internet. You have to go with your gut instinct, your dh can always go without you and babe as a compromise. on another note I dont see what all the fuss is about when it comes to weddings, I thought it was just about bride n groom n not anyone else, im not a big fan of all this wedding 'show.' i always said i wanted to get married not have a wedding, I just wanted to be husband and wife, so we eloped so i def dont buy into all this bridzilla stuff and personally think your sil is being selfish in expecting you to go. xxDBxx
    http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev228pf___.png