Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Itchy, Itchy, Itchy! :'(

Hiya Everyone

I will try & keep this as short as possible!

Basically i am 31+5 & for over the past week i have not been able to stop itching! It started as an itch on my belly which i thought was down to my skin stretching. It then started to spread & i'm now itchy all over. After about 3 days of itching i broke out into a rash, this rash is now all over my body. I went to the doctors on wednesday & they took a blood test to check my liver as they thought it might be Obstetric cholestasis. Just got these results back today & these are all clear.
I've tried every cream possible to stop the itching but nothing works! This is really getting me down as i am red rore. I have also been to the Pregnancy Assesment Unit at my local hospital over the weekend to be checked out as i couldn't cope & was in a right mess. Up to now everything seems fine with baby which is a relief! The hospital advised me to take Piriton & gave me one while i was there. When i left the hospital i went straight to a local pharmacy & tried to buy some Piriton but they wouldn't sell me it because i'm pregnant! I know i shouldn't itch but i cant help it. I'm also not sleeping because of this.

Has anyone else suffered from this or currently going through it?

Any advice would be great!

Clur xx

Replies

• I've been really itchy on and off hun, although not as bad as you by the sounds of it. My remedy has been simple oil gel, lather it on all over my bump and wherever else is itching at the time and seems to work wonders for me, doesn't take it away completely but 90% and it's so thick where I put it on at night can still feel it on my skin in the morning xx
  • Mine doesn't sound quite as bad as yours, but I've been really itchy over the last couple of weeks. I've got a rash at the top of my legs and get itchy in other places too. My skin has been really dry and I have found a bit of gentle exfoliation seems to help, but nothing much else image
  • My friend suffered with this during the end of her pregnancy....must be unberable! I know it drove her insane!
    I know you did say you have tried every cream poss ~ have you tried calomine lotion?? as this is what my friend used and it need ease it a little for her!
    Other than that not much help~ sorry!
    Hope it eases for you soon x
  • Another thing to try is tie up some oats (porridge) in a muslin and put it in the bath - you can also rub this over your skin when it's wet and that should help.

Just make sure you wrap them up tightly in the muslin or you'll end up in a bath of porridgeimage
  • I had this last 2wks of my pg, and drove me totally insane! I tried a variety of things, and found the best to be Oilatum gel in the shower (nothing perfumed at all obv!), then when dry use either Lanacane powder all over, which is anti-itching, or Eurax cream which is anti-itch as well, and you can buy over the counter. All of these are safe during pg.

Keep as cool as possible, having cold showers and even putting damp teatowels on your bump or round your ankles (worst bit for me...still have marks 3wks later from where I broke the skin scratching) at night.

Hope this helps - you have my sympathies, I know how awful it is!!

Lucie & Iona 17 days xx
  • I've had a rash on my thighs and bump (at different times) and was prescribed eumovate by the doctor both times which cleared up the itching and the rash.
    I think you should see your midwife/GP and hopefully someone will help you out as it really is horrible!

Jana 36+6 with blue bump! x
  • Hiya Everyone

Thank you all for your replies. Its been a relief to know its not just me!
    I have tried calomine lotion & this didnt do much to be honest, gave me relief for a maximum of 10mins. I'm currently using E45 wash for when i shower & Oilatum cream for when i get out or at any point through the day when i feel i need it. I have also tried Sudocrem! Put on a thick layer before going to bed to try & stop me itching.

A friend had mention the oats in the bath & i've been meaning to try this. Cold towels help but feel a bit daft sitting at work with my arms covered in towels! I only have 3 weeks left at work which is a relief!
    I go in the shower whenever possible & more than once a day to give me some relief but again i find my self itching even though i'm in the shower! I keep the shower as cold as i can!

Got a bit upset last night as i couldn't stop myself itching & made myself bleed. Hubby is really supportive & is trying to help as much as he can.

Got midwife appointment in the morning so going to ask if there's any cream they can recommend just to try & give me a break for a little while.

xx
  • Send your OH to get them and lie.  

• Have you tried aqueous cream? Really basic but quite effective xx