Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Pregnancy Dos and don'ts

2»

Replies

• oh dear image not heard that image love my strawberry mac d's milkshake and only had one the other week image oopps shall not be going to macD's again anytime soon just in case
    debz 7+6wks
  • Haven't heard that about McD's milkshakes!! Not that i've had many cause I'm lactose intolerant and they do disagree with me a little... but still.. I do like the occasional one!

I guess they might as well say 'don't order takeout pizza cause you don't know whats been used to clean up the ovens' or not to get coffee from a cafe cause the machines could have been cleaned with anything. I think there is a bit of overkill with a lot of these warnings to be honest - it does get worrying if you dwell on it too much!

I'm gonna buy a big bag of peanut m&m's and stuff my face with them as soon as i recover from giving birth..and I'm so not sharing them with hubby!!!
  • Wow I'm amazed at the responses I've had - seems like my pregnancy sore point is shared image

Anged - I can't believe you can't eat cold chicken or turkey - whaaat?! I too am definitely gonna be having my turkey sarnies on boxing day!

It is so irritating, I never mention the fact I have the odd drink and still eat peanuts (I have eczema) cos my mw would probably go spare!

I didn't drink in the 1st trimester though cos I heard that was the worst time.
    Philippa 16+2 x x x
  • When my mum was pregnant with me they were advised that eating liver was good for the baby now they advise you against it.

Advice for whats safe & whats not during pregnancy seems to change all the time & what they are telling us is good for baby now they will probably be advising against in a few years.

I personally am careful about what I eat & I havent had a drop of alcohol since we decided to try for another baby just incase but even the guidelines from country to country seem to be different

Hilary x
  • I was so pleased to read this! It seems we are all inundated with conflicting stories! As mentioned b4 - our parents and grandparents did fine without all the rules and regs we have been given now! Bet they were even prescribed a bottle of stout! I havent had a drink but will defo have a baileys to see the new year in! My personal opinion is - use common sense! I ate peanuts with my 1st and hes now 14 with no probs - it wasnt an issue then. Remember the only big issue there ever was was when the government told pregnant women to take Thalidomide and got it wrong to the extreme! The worst thing I think we can do as pregnant women is take everything to heart and then stress about it. Advice is just that - advice the choices are ultimately down to ourselves and im sure we will be worrying about the choices we make for our kids even when they are adults not just when we are pregnant!!!!
  • Oh one thing I found was I craved lager. I started drinking alcohol free lager, which is in abundance nowadays. M/W told me it's got folic acid in - maybe that's my craving!
  • omg ill be missing all my faves this xmas!! i will have a glass of wine with lunch though (and maybe a glass with some nice chedder) but ill soooo miss brie and gravadlax salmon, i have been thinking about it for weeks! how bloody sad am i,lol xx
  • Good for you linzi. I think as long as you make sure food is cooked properly and are careful about reheating stuff etc then it should be fine.

I am avoiding the food that carries a risk of listeria or any home made mayonnaise. I'm not a huge fan of oily fish so that doesn't really make a difference to me. My understanding is that seafood is ok as long as its cooked and oily fish fine as long as you dont eat tons of if.

I was more worried about how to fit in all the stuff you're supposed to eat!! On one hand you're told you dont need to eat for two, but if i ate all the recommended portions of carbohydrates, protein and dairy as well as my five a day I'd need to double my food intake!!!!
  • can i have eggs??
  • Yes you can but make sure they are cooked thoroughly so that the whites and yolk are solid (that's what i was told anyway). Missing my soft boiled eggs and soldiers!! lol
  • i'm fed up having to wash pre-washed salad. It always ends up really soggy!

Back to Mr Whippy - bacteria can grow in the pipes apparantly.

Has anyone heard anything about honey? When I was pg last time (i had mmc) i read something about avoiding unpasteurised honey but all the honey jars i can find dont say if its pasteurised or not. anyone else heard anything about this?
  • No dont know about the honey, sorry.

Agree with you about the soggy salad leaves though!!
  • Hi. Jus found out today that i'm pregnant! Only 4 weeks at the moment. Went a bit in to panic mode when i realised i'd eaten two fried eggs last week with runny yolks and two macdonalds meals.

I know i'm prob being stupid but it's all so new to me as this is my 1st.
  • Quick question, i am not pregnant but ttc. Should I still avoid these foods? I seem to have developed a slight peanut m&m addiction. I used to like them before but in the last two weeks i have eaten three big bags!! I know i am a pig but i really really really really wanted them
  • Quick question, i am not pregnant but ttc. Should I still avoid these foods? I seem to have developed a slight peanut m&m addiction. I used to like them before but in the last two weeks i have eaten three big bags!! I know i am a pig but i really really really really wanted them
    Unless you're pregnant you don't need to avoid them, and even if you are then it's only if you have allergies like hayfever, asthma or eczema.

I have eczema but I still eat peanut butter. I just don't believe it causes peanut allergies when 50 years ago women ate peanuts and no-one had ever heard of a peanut allergy!

I've also eaten Mcdonalds milkshakes and meals and I'm sure it's fine. The only thing I did worry about was last week I ate 2 tuna steaks. I thought I hadn't gone over that but then I remembered the tuna sandwich earlier in the week...oh dear.

I've been avoiding soft cheeses and undercooked meat but that's about it really, I'm still having a drink or 2 a week.

Although I've had quite a few runny eggs as well...
    But tbh the only thing that made me feel sick was a takeaway pizza, my stomach cramps were SO bad from that that they woke me up and I thought something was wrong with my baby! Just a funny tummy though, thank god.