Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

thrush!!

so aswell as having itchy nipples i have itchy trush and it wont go away went to docs and he gave me a couple of pessaries and some canesten cream with a steroid in but it just wont go!!! im so annoyed with it. ive tried saly bath and natural yoghurt. y wont it go??? spoke to doc about it last week and he says leave it for another 4 wks and then come bac for some swabs to see wot is goin on. is it possible to just continuasly have thrush!! i know it cant be any thing else cus had all the tests just before i got pregnant because of it. just fed up with getting sent away with creams that do nothing

Replies

• Hiya

Im in the same boat although the pessary clears my thrush for abt 2 weeks and then i have to take another !

Nothing else works for me i have to say and it is possibly THE most annoying thing !

You can try all the usual, natural yoghurt, no hot baths only cool showers, change ur underwear twice a day etc etc but im sorry to say it hasnt worked for me and im 37 weeks and had it all the way through !

Things we have to go through aye !!?? x
  • I had it constantly from the age of 18-20 was really miserable (was told I'd grow out of it). The best thing for me was natural yog, as spent a fortune on other things, I only got it a few times whilst preg tho, soaps and shower gels can affect it, I find dove really bad, have you changed soaps or even washing powders? x
  • Ive had it constanly all the way through this pregnany and I agree its not fun.
    Ive tried everything the pessaries and creams dont work, going to the docs today (they wont give me a repeat prescription because of how far I am along) about it, but to be honest-I dont hold out much hope.
    The midwife has said it wont effect baby as he comes out, but is that true? I would have thought he would catch it himself, I mean my niece got it in her mouth because my sister had it on her nipples when she was breastfeeding?

http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/1;10051;28/st/20080729/dt/5/k/9e45/preg.png

• To be honest I thought it could be passed from mother to baby when passing thru the birth canal, I'd speak to your gp FlyingKiwi as I'm not 100%, x
  • Yeah, I thought the same as hayls too, it could be passed to the baby orally.
    I have found that going knickerless whenever possible helps (but maybe that's just me!) and I never, ever wear knickers to bed.

I am suffering too - is anyone else doing the perenial massage thing? I am not sure if this is making me worse as before pregnancy I would never have put any product near that region, but with less than 3 weeks to go I am loath to stop trying to stretch/soften everything up down there!
  • BTW girlybumpihope, you probably already know whis, but you can pass it back and forth between you and your partner.
  • Hi Excitedmum2b, I did that massage, what are you using, I used KY and seemed to be fine. I'll be doing it this time round as well. x
  • hi hayls, i havent washed in soap for ages because of it. i love my bubble baths too and havent been able to have one. as for my washing powder im always changing it cus i get wot is on offer! i just dont know wot it could be because had itt before i was pregnant too, so cant really blame it on the pregnancy.id hardly ever get it before hand. maybe once a year or some thing like that. just really fed up with it cus i try and do everything possible to avoid it, i wear only cotton knickers now. may be i should start sticking to a certain washing powder, and make it non bio. still got to wait 4 wks til they will do swabs but like i said cant see it being any thing else xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • sorry I completely forgot, when I had it all the time, my mum suggested I start drinking those bacterial drinks, yakult or something, anyway I found they helped if I had one everyday, not sure if you can take whilst preg, but worth looking into.

Have you tried femfresh stuff? Its just thats supposed to help balance ph levels or something

I know what you mean about washing powder, I have 2, one for us (me&oh) what evers cheap, and one for the lo, perhaps a non bio would be an option to try, or not wearing knickers at all as said above, also wearing skirts not trousers x x x