Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Plans to scrap salary sacrifice vouchers...

Was announced yesterday at the Labour conference.

What do you all feel about this?

For us, it's a real, real problem so much so that I have been worrying about it all morning. I have no choice but to return to work part time after 9 months mat leave, and after paying ??75 a day in child care and travel costs to get to work there would only be around ??250 left of my salary monthly. That was earmarked for bills and to put around ??40 a month away for any house problems, like broken washings machines etc!

If I do not return to work my Husband's salary is just on the cusp of earning too much for tax credits. Although that may seem alot of money to some, living in the south east of England having bought a property at the peak of the market, it does not go far. We can't move to a cheaper area as a) our house is worth much less than we paid for it and we do not have the money to pay for a move in terms of fees etc.

The sad thing about this is, is that it appears to penalise women who need to go back to work, who will be contributing to the economy etc. This will make it very difficult for me to return to work as a nurse, which I can't imagine would please Gordon Brown..a experienced senior nurse not using her skills ( and god forbid, contributing to a pension so that she can provide for herself and family in years to come) because she can't afford to go to work!!

Rant over, but thoughts please?

X

[Modified by: ulrika on 30 September 2009 13:10:03 ]

Replies

• Sorry to sound dim but what are salary sacrifice vouchers?
  • It's where you have a part of your salary paid in vouchers that can be used towards childcare costs. Many employers in the UK do it, and therefore as you receive that portion of your wage in vouchers, you do not pay tax and NI on it. For most families it's a saving of about ??190 ish a month.

• This is a nightmare announcement for me too - at the moment my companies maternity pay is barely above the statutory requirement which is terrible for one of the largest companies in the UK. Our "reward" is once we go back to work as they give us 20% of our salary (on top of our salary already) in childcare vouchers for the 1st year you return to work. If they scrap this it is going to make meeting ends meet very difficult once I go back.

I also don't qualify for any help from the governmant and have no choice but to return to work. Again also living in the South East, with high outgoings even my travel to work costs me over ??300 per month!

ARRGHHH !!

xx
  • That sucks. We'll be claiming these as plan to go back to work so anything helps and we can't claim any tax credits etc as like you just around threshold but. Whilst have budgeted for childcare without this money, it will leave us with a safety net should we need it, for example if something breaks in house! Seems a similar debate to that a few weeks ago about cutting off benefits for higher earning families. Surely having less people working means less people paying tax and national insurance which will have a detrimental effect on economy. Another crazy policy in my opinion!
  • In a similar position too. However, these changes won't be coming in for five years if you are already receiving childcare vouchers/start receiving them before April 2011:

???????From April 2011, employees who join an employer-supported voucher scheme will not be entitled to the existing exemptions. Existing recipients of vouchers will be unaffected until April 2015, when the exemptions for vouchers will be withdrawn completely."

Besides, chances of Labour winning the next election are slim to none! So things may stay the same/get better/get worse under the Conservatives.... all remains to be seen.
    Anna