Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Buggy Advice please

Hello Ladies

OH and i have finally chosen our buggy and we have saved the money and i think i am far along enough now to maybe get it...

But we have a carrycot option to turn it into a pram which i love but for all the extra money do u think it's worth it??? I keep thinking if bubs only get's to use it a few times that's ??????70 i could of put towards xmas and were getting the car seat anyway so i can put the car seat on and bubs will be snug and sleeping fine.

??????70 to carrycot or not to carrycot :lol: ????????

here it is with....
http://www.boots.com/en/My-Child-Orbital-Travel-System_1039113/?exploreAttributes=-_--_--_--_-Mother & Baby > Pushchairs > Travel Systems-_--_-List-_--_--_--_-Supermenu-_-

and just an example with out....
http://www.preciouslittleone.com/product-information/19/9766/my-child-orbital-4-travel-system/

I don't know now :\? :\? :\?

gembags 29+4 xx

Replies

• Hi Gembags hun,

I'm no expert so forgive me but I was having a long chat with a very helpful lady in Mothercare the other day who basically said babies aren't really meant to be in their car seats too long because it's no good for their spine. Having asked around since it seems consenus is no longer than 90 mins so I'd probably say best for baby to have him lying down in a carry cot for the first few months if at all possible xxxx
  • Hi, I had a carrycot for my pushchair with my ds. I used it for 4 months and must of used it almost everyday in that time. He looked so comfortable and cosy (his bday is in Feb so was very cold). Dont think I would of been happy to go out for walks as much if he was just in car seat. Also the pushchair part of my pushchair was way too big for him even at 6 months so I couldnt put him straight into that.

xx
  • my personal opinion is to gett he carrycot, but thats because i wouldn't be without one as i don't drive and babies shoudln't be in a carseat for more than 2 hours at a time anyway as its not good for their backs or breathing, so that would mean long walks were out, or even driving somewhere then walking about would take u over that time, and i think they just look so snug and comfy in a carrycot, it was a must for us. ds was in his carrycot until he was 5months (everyday), and even then he had room, we only stopped using it cos he was sitting up. xx
  • I'd go for the carrycot for the same reasons as everyone else has said. Baby's shouldn't spend too much time in car seats as it can cause back problems and breathing problems. I've spoken to 2 physios about baby's being in car seats for too long and they both said that they are seeing more children with back problems due to prolonged use of car seats.
    It is entirely your call about what you choose to spend your money on though x
  • I had a carry cot (came free with my buggy). I only used it once, thank god I didnt pay for it!! As the buggy lay flat anyway and I had a cosy-toes sort of thing, I didnt use the carry cot as it was a waste of time as it was quite fiddly to fasten on.

Daniel was such a long baby and instead of being all curled up at the start like babies normally are he stretched out within 2 days of birth - he was also too long to fit comfortably in the carry cot. Hated it hence only using it once! You could always get the buggy then decide once baby is here whether you want the carry cot or not, or see if you can get one off ebay for cheaper.

Daniel was born in November and we used the buggy once every couple of days so it wasn't as if we weren't hardly going out either. Just wrapped him up well in blankets and he was snug and comfortable. Much better! xxx
  • i wont be getting one, we just wont use it. they move into the seats so fast and the only time i really use a buggy is for the 5 mins im running my son into school so wouldnt be fair to move the baby out of a car seat then back for 5 mins. we would never need to exceed the 90min esp as i wear slings too. just depend how much it will really be used. i dont walk far.
  • I think it depends how much you will use the push chairs - like siandonna says if you only use it for 5 minutes then its not worth but if you intend going on long walks, shopping etc I would say it is so useful and so important in the early days. I would say its worth it.
  • We've brought the Mothercare Spin, which has a carrycot that become a chair or the other way around with the use of a couple of clips. We wanted a carrycot but would have issues sorting it once Spud had grown out of it, so this was a good option for us. Personally, I don't like seeing babies being pushed around in their car seats, they never look very comfy, so our car seat will be staying in the car.

Good luck with deciding.
    Sacha - 23+2
  • I bought a system where the carrycot was an optional extra, and while ds didn't fit in it after 4 months, for those 4 months we got plenty of use out of it. He would sleep in it during the day, and going out for long walks meant that he couldn't be in his car seat. The buggy that we got wasn't very suitable for a newborn (even though it claimed to be from birth - the straps etc were far too big until he got a bit older).

This time, I'm getting the City Select, and we're getting the carrycot to go with it.

Babies don't fit in carrycots for long, but while they do, I find them invaluable.

xxx
  • Hiya hun - not spoken to you for ages!

I would say like the others, depends how much you'd use it. Could you maybe go to an independant shop where they could do you a good deal for pram + carrycot + car seat? On the precious little ones website they have a prce match service it says so just ring them and ask what their best price would be! If you platy hard ball its suprising what you can get free - we did it all the time when we were getting prices for our wedding! lol Just be brave!
  • This was just to same question I was about to ask!! So, brilliant thread image Thanks!
  • Thanks ladies image

Tizwaz i posted it in baby also might help you there also x
  • The buggy is fine from birth asit lies flat, so I woldn't bother with the carrycot unless you would let your baby sleep in it durring the day for naps.

Moom x
  • I had a carrycot one and it was a waste of money as ds was too big for it after haf a dozen uses, if the pushchair lays flat its fine, the car seat option is really handy for just popping on if lo is asleep for a short amount of time. I am on pushchair no4 now and finally got one i am happy with, (m&p sola)
    Have fun pushchair shopping
  • Hi
    I think carrycots are absolutely essential for newborns! I wanted my little one to face me when she was little, its easier to control their temperature and as others have said its not good for their little spines to be in car seats or pushchairs that don't lay completley flat. Personaly looking at the pram your getting I would say to get the carrcot. Yes he/she won't be in it for that long but at least bubs will be comfy and you can keep an eye on them.
    xxx
  • we used ours loads...as a pram and as a bed when we went and stayed with families. And as others above have said it is really important that little ones lie completely flat when they are small x