Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

I feel cheeky

I work for a really small company, job is quite demanding and stressfull at times but i have been reading up on maternity rights and wondered if anyone else feels cheeky asking for time off for appointments.

i read that time off not only includes hosp or mw appointments but relaxation and parentcraft etc but i feel really cheeky asking for the time off and haven't yet. I've even booked 1/2 day holiday for my scan. I know i probably shouldn't but I feel like I'm taking the mick. I really want to do an aqua natal class as physio and MW said it would be a really good idea for me.

The firm is only about 10 people a few men, middle aged women and me and another girl in our 20's but they've never had anyone pregnant so feel bit strange.

sounds daft but i normally take any opportunity to get the odd bit of extra time off but all of a sudden, now i've got a real reason to, I feel bad.

any tips on how to deal with it.

Replies

• Chriss, you're entitled to the time off, so I personally would get what time I could.

I only work for 1 boss and and his wife... yet I take the time off. Just give them plenty of notice so they can plan around it.

I'm saving my holidays for near the time of arrival as not entitled to full SMP, so atleast I will get 9 full paid days in the month due by using my holidays then.

Just think, if the roles were reversed I'm sure any of the other women wouldn't think twice. Its all about looking after yourself and your child now. Your work will cope.
  • Hi There

I work for a small husband and wife team too. Don't feel guilty about taking time for hospital and MW appointments - you are entitled to them!!

I took a few days off sick a couple of weeks ago cause I wasn't feeling great and felt a little guilty about it - but we shouldn't.
    You'd feel a damn sight guiltier (is that a word??) if something happened to the baby!
  • Yeah I know I think i will speak to MW about aqua natal classes as my sis in law got time off one morning a week for them which she still got paid for.

I've got no sickness entitlement now as i had month off due to an accident before i found out i was preg. Should i still get paid if i'm off due to pregnancy related issues?
  • If your off sick, you should still get Statutory Sick Pay if you earn more than ??87 a week. Statutory is ??72.55 a week, which your company then claims back.

If its pregnancy related I don't think this will make any difference to the statutory pay. However if it is close to the due date, or its likely that you will not be back in work until the baby is born then I think the company and tell you to take it as Maternity Leave, so you will then get the SMP or Maternity Allowance instead. But best to check this.

Gill
  • Hi there, i don't feel guilty for going to MW appts or scans. But i really would like to go to aqua natal clasees & yoga for pregnancy but they are all in work it & don't know how they will reach to me asking! Don't know if i'm brave enough to ask!!