Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Breast vs Bottle?

2»

Replies

• Oh I am so glad there are other people feel this way about bottle feeding, I have never wanted to breast feed and this way hubby can be involved, I know you can express but it really is something I have never wanted to do.
  • I am going to keep an open mind this time around and try to BF and see if it works. To be completely honest I did BF with my first until he was 3 months then mixed formula and BF until my milk dried up at 4 months, but I really didn't enjoy doing it at all. I never produced enough milk and he was a really lazy and slow feeder. I found it really hard and tiring. He never put on weight while BF and constantly got colds/infections as he wasn't strong enough. Whereas my body hung onto the fat and it wasn't until I stopped BF that i started to lose the weight and get my energy back -the opposite happened for my sister and the weight just fell off with BF (lucky cow!!). The day after I started bottles he slept through the night and didn't cry with hunger anymore and I felt fantastic and full of energy! Plus it was so much quicker even with sterilising as he downed a bottle in 10 mins as opposed to one hour of BF each time - not amusing in the middle of the night!! But i do see the benefits of BF and think if you enjoy it and find it easy then it's a lovely thing to do but if i find it so hard this time I am NOT going to feel guilty and beat myself up over it and just do what is right for me and the baby. Last time I made myself continue because I felt so guilty to stop, even though we were both miserable and it wasn't until I started bottle feeding that i actually started to enjoy being a mum and he started being a happy baby. But i think it is different for everyone, both my sisters BF for over a year and found it really easy and good for bonding so I assumed i'd be the same when I was PG but it just didn't turn out that way. Keep an open mind ladies and do what is right for YOU, don't be bullied into BF if it's not for you. I think everyone should try it and decide if it works for them. Good luck to everyone!

Amy. x
  • I'm definitely going to try to breastfeed! I just feel that I'd be bonding with my baby and giving them the best start in life. I just hope it all goes to plan!

http://bd.lilypie.com/EWw90/.png