Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

32 WEEKS AND LOOKING FOR WORK!!AM I MAD?

HI WE HAVE COME TO THE DECISION THAT I WILL START WORK PART-TIME (STAY AT HOME JUST NOW) AND HUBBIE WILL GO FROM FULLTIME TO PARTTIME SO WE CAN WORK DIFFERENT DAYS AND SHARE CHILDCARE OF OUR 3 YR OLD AND NEW BABY (DUE MAY).

WOULD ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND TAKE ME ON JUST NOW? MY THOUGHTS WERE THAT I COULD START APPLYING AND MAYBE BY THE TIME THEY RECRUIT I WILL HAVE HAD BABY?, IF I WAS ALREADY IN A JOB AND LEAVING THAT FOR A NEW ONE JUST NOW ID NEED TO GIVE A MONTHS NOTICE TO EMPLOYER ANYWAY SO THAT BUYS ME A MONTH, PLUS THE TIME THEY TAKE TO DECIDE ON RIGHT CANDIDATE ETC.

MY OTHER WORRY IS THAT I HAVE BEEN STAY AT HOME MUM SINCE JULY SO I FIND IT REALLY HARD TO GET A JOB, WHEN IM NOT ALREADY IN ONE..HAVING TO EXPLAIN WHY I KEEP CHANGING MY MIND ABOUT WORKING OR NOT WORKING ETC.

ANOTHER OPTION IS TO GET TEMP WORK BEFORE BABY (PROB BE ADMIN TYPE POSITION ID BE LOOKING FOR), ONE WHICH ONLY LASTS FOR A MONTH OR SO. THING IS IM SO DESPERATE TO GET BACK TO WORK. I FIND BEING AT HOME WITH MY 3 YR SO HARD GOING EVERY DAY, I KNOW THAT SOUNDS TERRIBLE, BUT IT WOULD BE EASIER BEING AT WORK!!ALTHO IM WORRIED ID BE REALLY TIRED WITH ONLY 9 WEEKS TO GO.

MY MUM HAS BEEN TAKING HER THE ODD AFTERNOON SO I CAN SLEEP, BUT TO BE HONEST ITS MORE TROUBLE THAN HELP CAUSE SHE LETS HER AWAY WITH MURDER, FEEDS HER SWEETS EVEN IF SHE WONT EAT LUNCH, AND TODAY MY DAUGHTER TOLD ME SHE HAD A BANANA FOR LUNCH!!AND I FIND THE DAYS THAT MY MUM HAS HER, WHEN SHE COMES HOME SHE IS A NIGHTMARE TO DEAL WITH.

ANYWAY RANT OVER, BUT ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREAT!!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/1;19;29/st/20080523/dt/5/k/1ec5/preg.png

Replies

• it's illegal for any company to refuse to hire you becuase of you being pregnant. you don't have to put it on your CV so when you get to the interview stage, you can explain the situation to them then.

you aren't crazy at all, good luck for your searching and i hope you find a great job soon xxx

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev287pf___.png

• you could put you CV about and see what happens but TBH I wouldn't expect loads of replies but at least you'll be in their books.

After DD I applied for loads, heard back from a couple and only got 1 interview, as much as employers are supposed to be fair, they are not, as soon as I mentioned part-time/child friendly hours they weren't interested, employers these day want people they can use and abuse and call in at the drop of a hat, whcih obviously can't happen when kids are involved. It makes me really angry but no amount of laws will change this attitude as they never tell you that the reasin, they just say some one else was more qualified, etc.

sorry, rant over.

summary :- put out your CV and see what comes of it!
  • just to say employers arent allowed to discriminate but they will. I applied for my job at 8 weeks. interviews at 12 weeks. I didnt tell them i was pregnant untill just after my start date. Took 2 months to get from accepting job to starting (recruiment were absolutely rubbish!). I had bump had only really started growing then. I was advised to wait until i started by both occupational health and my mw. When I told them I was pregnant it was ok, however, i dont think my manager was very chuffed at the time as one person had handed in their noticed and another had just informed her she was pregnant, in addition work is v.v.short staff (making it a little stressful at the mo). However, since i started work, posts have been advertised and nobody has been good enough to fill them. So although Im pregnant I have helped them out in the short term.

Sorry I havent reallly answered your question. What I was coming on to say, was a lady recently advertised for the post and had an obvious bump. Staff were joking that she was a midwife and they needed to be wearing gloves....im guessing she was quite far gone and looked as though she was going to give birth. I felt uncomfortable sitting their whilst they were saying it as i'm pregnant and showed they were discriminating her. But working in a hospital, I can see the job wasnt suitable for her being so far gone.
    I would personally say go for temp work. Realisticly, by the time you've applied for a job and been given a start date it will be time to go on maternity leave. Im not sure if anybody would take somebody on so late in rpegnancy, because they no they will just have to re-advertised a few weeks alter to cover your maternity leave. Obviously, I am aware this shouldnt be the case, however, realistically it is. I guess you could write a letter to company's you are interested in working for, let them know of your situation and ask them to write to you nearer the time you plan on going back to work if they have any vacancies.

Are you currently employd or unemployed? If employed i would stay where you are and hand in your notice once baby is born.

Sorry im not of much help. xxx