Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Heartburn and effects of Gaviscon

Hi ladies

Thought I'd share with you what I have noticed about taking Gaviscon for heartburn and swollen feet.

I started taking Gaviscon from week 20 and noticed that my hands and feet were swelling a lot and the MW said this could just be due to water retention.

However, over the weeks Heartburn got worse so that I was drinking a big bottle in 3 days and my feet swole up so much that I could barely walk sometimes and they looked round. MW and Dr commented but since my urine and blood pressure nomal, nothing was done except to rest which I've been doing.

A couple of days ago someone wrote a post about another medication that was good for heartburn (I think she said Maxoll?) so decided to read more on Gaviscon and what it contains.

Gaviscon contains lots of Sodium which is salt based and high salt intake worsens fluid retension. I don't know why i never figured this out myself

Since I stopped taking it 3 days ago, my heartburn has significantly lessened as well as swelling. I now take full cream ice cold milk to help heartburn when I need to.

Sorry for long post, just thought I would share experience so please check with your Dr and MW about the amount of Gaviscon you should be taking if you notice more swelling in hands and feet.

Take care
Mother1 - 35wks

Replies

• i take plain ranitadine (the main ingrediant in gavvy) tablets, they work for longer, don't leave a nasty taste and much cheaper, if you go to a local chemist or even the pound shop.

Find during pregnancy as was perscribed a higher does than avalible on the high street.

One tablet (75mg) will last for 12 hours!

Lisa
    38 weeks
  • Hi ladies,

This is really useful, thank you.

I am nearly 8 weeks, and already have terrible heartburn to go along with the horrendous morning sickness.

Went to the Doctors on Monday and she gave me a huge bottle of Gaviscon, but I literally can't swallow it. I also got the chewable tablets from Boots, but they make me gag, so at the moment, I am just putting up with it.

I have been a little concerned about taking medication so early on - especially if the heartburn stays all the way through - that would mean 7 months of taking medication and I'm sure that can't be great for you.

Reading your post has made me think that I may have to try other alternatives - like milk or yoghurt (when I can keep anything other than crisps down, that is!), so thanks!

xx
  • Milk can sadly make heartburn worse so I would try fizzy water for an instant relief and a teaspoon of cider vinegar in half a glass of water and then sip it.
    It doesn't taste amazing but it does the trick and lasts for ages and the best bit is its all natural image

Hope that helps

Lucie xx
  • Hiya it was me that mentioned the Maalox and i havent been lucky enough not to notice any side efects from it
  • ive found asdas own fruit flavoured antacids are just as good as gaviscon for heartburn, they taste nicer too

carly
    16+6
  • Oh my god, I've been guzzling gaviscon for weeks and have also had really swollen feet. Stupidly never cottoned on to teh sodium connection, although I had been taking the gaviscon advance which has less sodium in it.
    But for last week or so I've been taking ranitidine from the Dr and it's been great. Like Lisa says it lasts for ages and I don't to face the horrors of gaviscon, although still needing a wee bit in middle of the night.
    My feet are still a bit swollen but considerably less and I wonder if it's cos I'm taking less gaviscon. Thanks for this post, will lay off the gaviscon for a while I think. S x
  • Hi ladies thanks for the suggestions. At this stage I will try just about anything, except Gaviscon to find relief!

And thanks JodieBuckley, I will be asking my MW about Maalox when I see her next Fri, if I can wait that long.
  • "i take plain ranitadine (the main ingrediant in gavvy) tablets, they work for longer, don't leave a nasty taste and much cheaper, if you go to a local chemist or even the pound shop."

This isn't true unfortunately. - Ranitidine itself is not in Gaviscon at all. 

• Sorry posted too early - meant to add the following details to clarify. 

So how does Gaviscon work?

Gaviscon has three main ingredients: sodium alginate, calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate.

Sodium alginate forms a gel-like layer on top of the acid in the stomach. This helps prevent reflux of stomach acid up the gullet and protects the stomach lining and the gullet from acid attack. It also has a soothing effect and allows healing to occur in reflux oesophagitis.

Calcium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate are both antacids and work by neutralising excess acid and protect the stomach from irritation.

Equally, the amount of sodium in Gaviscon allegedly doesn't amount to enough to cause an 'overdose' - especially if your kidneys are functioning normally...having said that I am taking it quite a bit and have just started to notice more swelling in hands and feet - but then that's also to be expected at around 30 weeks-ish....so is it related or just happening at the same time. 

It is interesting to note that "Iron preparations can interact with Gaviscon and lots of pregnant women will be prescribed an iron preparation," she explains. "Some meds may not be taken at the same time but can be taken if spread apart during the day but others should not be mixed so women need to speak to a health professional first."

I've just been put on Iron supplementation for anaemia, but was offered no advice re its interaction with gaviscon - anyone else know more? 

Either way heartburn sucks!!! :/