Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Questions about bottle feeding baby??

I am planning to breastfeed my baby exclusivly for only about 3 weeks, I want to try it so I dont regret it later but hate the idea of "just being a feeding machine" and plan to go on to mixed feeding after this for another 3 weeks and then onto bottle feeding exclusivly.

Hubby has been reading his baby care book tonight and has read about electric bottle warmers or warming the bottle in a pan of hot water?? Now becasue I plan to breat feed at first this was never something I thought about, but which in your opinion is better?

Also, his firend told him that what he and his wife do is make up 2 or 3 bottles in the evening, put them in a mini fridge overnight in their bedroom so when LO wakes up for a feed, he just warms it up in a bottle heater which they also have upstairs and dont have to leave their bedroom. Is this a good idea/ If anyone can give me any advice on bottle feeding that would be fantastic.
Thank you so much

Kayleigh
27 weeks today with a baby boy!

xxxx

Replies

• Ok the advice is to make up feeds as you need them, or put the water in the bottle (cooled boiled water) and then add the powder when you warm the bottle but personally I make up feeds for the day in batches of 4 and I know people will disagree with the way I do it but |I know im not the only one image
    anyway I put them in the fridge down stairs and when Lizzie needs a feed we put hot water from our hot wter disperser (tefel thingy) into a measuring jug and put bottle in there to warm it up, i dont use tefel thingy to make the bottles as its not boiling (only upto about 80 degrees i think, so I always make sure I use fresh filtered water to make up the bottles and only boil it once in the kettle.
    Personally I find bottle warmers a waste of money as rather slow to warm a bottle as I had one with my first daughter and used it about twice!
  • Some people will disagree with this even more - my sis has 2 young children and she used to make up the night bottle before going to bed, fill a thermos with boiling water and take the bottle, flask and a jug to bed keeping bottle out of fridge. When baby woke she could fill the jug in the bedroom, stick the bottle in for a few mins and its done. Didn't harm her 2 and I will do the same. x
  • Yummymummyali I dont disagree as thats exactly what my mum done with us and we are all fine too image she did tell me to do it but I have a poor record with thermos flasks (I have broken a few in the past,lol) so i dont want to take one upstairs with me as I have a feeling I will end up having to change my bedding!! x
  • I always fill all my sterilised bottles with boiled water and leave them on the side. I have lots of little pots that I measure powder into.

At night I have a tray (invaluable with the amount I have to carry with 2!) with bottles filled with 3oz of boiled water and 4 of my premeasured pots of powder. I then fill a flask with boiling water just before we go to bed and take that up with me (normally when we do the DF at 10.30pm). They wake for a feed at 3am roughly so all I have to do is top the bottles up with boiling water, which makes them warm enough, and use the pots of premeasured powder to make them...tada - ready bottles! I have a bottle warmer but it took AGES and I was trying to warm 2!

I have lots of shortcuts with 2 but cant recommend the premeasured pots of powder enough. It makes life much easier when measuring bottles, especially when you are frazzled!!
  • Hi hun
    I mixed fed Lily from about 3-4months old, I did buy a bottle warmer but she actually took her milk at room temperature so it was a waste of pennies!I found it took ages to warm up as well and although its not recommended if needed I would put the bottle in the microwave for a few seconds and shake it really well and obviously test the temp this was what I did with EBM which I had put in fridge or freezer.

As for the formula for night feeds I used tommee tippee bottles with the powder containers which fit the bottle. We would do bottles for a whole day/night put the boiled water in the bottles and then measure out the formula into the pots and they were ready for feeding as and when- also useful to just pop in your bag when you go out. I know lots of people who have used this method no problems. And I'll be doing it again for baby girl number 2!

xxx

[Modified by: ILOVEMYGEEK2 on January 30, 2010 10:34 PM]

• I know some people will recoil in horror but surely if you shake the bottle well enough to disperse hot spots its fine to heat bottles in the microwave. All the parents of the LO's I have looked after have done this without incident. They also made up a few feeds in advance and kept them in the fridge.
    I wouldn't bother with a bottle warmer and just put the bottle in a jug of hot water to warm through if you don't want to use the microwave.
    To be honest I think you will soon learn what works for you and find a method to suit.