Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Natural family planning

Hi all. I was just wondering if anyone has succesfully used 'natural family planning' as a contraceptive as I'm thinking of giving it a try. I already have two daughters, the youngest was born in march this year. I'm on the mini-pill (as I'm breastfeeding) at the moment and have previously been on the pill since I was 16, but to be honest I don't like taking any form of medication unless I really need to and I would love to find a natural alturnative that WORKS! Would love to hear from anyone who has tried this or got any other suggestions. Thank you, Sarah x

[Modified by: Sarah21 on 20 June 2007 14:55:24 ]

Replies

• Hi I have been doing this I have an ovulation calender that tells me when I am fertile and when I am not, just the same as you would have if you were trying. I have been doing this for 7 months now and it has been working. I did this as the pill didnt seem to work with me and i did not like the coil.

I will be honest you have got to be very strict with it and very controlled, it sounds funny but you always seem to want it on the bad days so you have to be quite strong not to. I had a couple of times after coming home from a drink and really wanting it but knowing i couldnt due to ovulation period.

I feel a lot better doing this now, then when i do want to try again i know my patterns and i wouldnt have to wait for any cotaceptive to leave my body.

A lot of people may laugh at these methods and they are definately not guarenteed to work, but the pill didnt work for me.

Hope this helps and I am not mad, lol.

Good luck xxx
  • Thank you madnbella for replying. I've been looking on the net and apparently if you get to know you cycles and 'secretions' it seems fairly straight forward. I am worried about not being able to control my urges tho, but I spose thats wot condoms are for! I'm going to give it a try because we would like to have more children anyway so if it did'nt work it would'nt be the end of the world!! I do find it weird how doctors never really give you an option tho. Especially after you've had a baby, they seem so desperate to get you back on the pill I don't think anyone has ever even mentioned any other alternatives! Thank you for your advice, I feel alot more confident about trying it out! Sarah x x
  • We feel exactly the same about more in the future too and thatit would never be a bad thing if it was to happen. I do believe in fate a lot too, and things that happen are sometimes meant to be. It is hard being strict but it is made easier with a supportive hubby mine always checks on the calender to make sure too so we can both take responsibilty and he isnt a pest around the bad time!! I am glad it helped I know some people will find it funny so very glad someone else has asked about this. Good luck xxxxx
  • Hi Madenbella, I was just wondering what you mean by a calender? Where do I get one from or is it something I have to work out myself? Thank you Sarajenk for the advice on the book, will be getting myself a copy pronto!! Sarah x
  • I have mine on the computer I ordered it for about 21 pounds and you put in your period dates and usual cycle lengths and it works it all out for you, including best times for concieving either a boy or girl your highest ovulation days and days to avoid. It opens on my screen every day when i turn on computer so hubby can see too. The homepage is www.ovulation-calender.com. It s a bit expensive but I find it easier and more precise than me trying to work it out each month and if you do have regular cycles you can plan ahead too. Hope this helps xxxx
  • Wow that sounds great!! I can't believe it tells you when is best to try for a boy or girl! I think I might have to come off the pill and be careful for a while so I can work out my cycle length as I've no idea what it is as I've been on the pill for so long!! It sounds like a great idea tho, esspecially as your oh can see it on your computer too. Thank you for the advice I'll let you kno how we get on! Sarah x
  • Good luck i definately find it useful, but the biggest help is my husband doing it with me. Plus it is simple for these men to understand too.. I never thought that my husband would ever understand about ovulation and stuff but now he thinks he is an expert!!! xx
  • Hi Madenbella, noticed your online at the minute so I thought I'd just let you know I went online and signed up to that ovulation calender. It's great, really easy to use and comes up everyday for both of us to see! just wanted so say thank you really. I've tried talking to my friends about this and they think I'm crazy! but coming on hear and finding other like minded mums has made me realise I'm not!
  • Hi Madenbella, noticed your online at the minute so I thought I'd just let you know I went online and signed up to that ovulation calender. It's great, really easy to use and comes up everyday for both of us to see! just wanted so say thank you really. I've tried talking to my friends about this and they think I'm crazy! but coming on hear and finding other like minded mums has made me realise I'm not!
  • My mum thinks I am mad, doing it this way but she had the same problems as i did that not all contraceptives suit and work. I do like the ovulation calender it is so clear and you know where you are day to day. I know that it is still a risk doing it this way but i have been doing it for 8 months now since my youngest was born and it gets easier each month, and if i was to fall it would not necessarily be a problem. I forgot to say that i also sometimes use the ov sticks off e-bay around day 13-14 to see if i am ov to double check but dont do it all the time as i am getting more confident with my dates. How is your husband with the calender? xx
  • I darent tel my mum, she'd probably think I was mad too!! The oh thinks it a good idea (as long as I don't get pregnant)! lol! but we're gona b really careful and use condoms for a while just so I get use to it. Using ovulation sticks is a good idea, I did'nt think of that. I've told oh that when we do decide to try for another, hopefully if we time it well enough theres a good chance we will concieve a boy!! I know it should'nt matter what sex your baby is but we already have 2 girls and I know he really wants a boy!! we shall have to w8 and see!!! x
  • lol, we are exactly the same we have 2 lovely girls and a little boy would be lovely, to even up the sides a little. i know hubby would not mind if it was a boy!! xx