Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Over eating makes big babies?

Hi Girls,

Ive been eating so much recently, it seems like I can eat and eat and still want more.

Ive also been craving sweets and chocolate really bad.

I was wondering if eating more and bad stuff will increase the chances of me having a big baby? Or do they just take what they need?

Im 25+2 and have only gained 1lb in weight so far...but worried baby is going to be really big and casue problems in labour?

Replies

• Hi PB,
    I ate and ate and ate through my 1st pregnancy and put on a bit of weight. I was also told I was going to have a huge baby from my measurements.
    Ds was 7lb 9oz so nowhere near huge!
  • OMG MrsFozz, I saw your avator and though OMW that willy looks painful then thought why on earth would she have a willy as her avator and then realised that is it rude veg. ha ha ha ha ha

That has got to be the best one I have seen by far!
  • As far as I am aware from what I have read there is an increased risk of a big baby if you are overweight at the time of conception as larger ladies metabolise sugar differently which can cause the baby to lay down extra fat. But if you are just eating more because you are pregnant then I don't think it directly affects the babies size as the baby will only take from you what it needs.

In my first pregnancy I ate for England because I was hungry all the time and it wasn't good stuff either. My daughter wasn't big when she was born but it took me 9 months to get back into my jeans!
  • I am G/C when i had my boy i was Large before i got preg and i gained a bit of weight image I was popping out of my work cloths XL at 24 weeks :lol: I was told by the MW i was going to have a 9lb+ baby and baby messured 40+ weeks at 36 week appointment

After all that and lots of stressing my boy's weight was 7lb2oz he was so small he went into early beby cloths.
    and my boy was 7 days late x
    Good Luck xx gems xx
  • Hi,

Eating things high in sugar can make big babies, my Obstetrician told me to curb the sweet tooth last time around not becuase of my weight gain (only gained aprox 1stone or just under) but because he said baby was measuring quite big for her dates, but he was also concerned for me re. gestational diabetis (sp?) even though i passed the GTT i always read high for sugar. Funny thing was i didnt have that much of a sweet tooth cause i was so bloody sick all the time! she was born weighing 8lb 4oz & my sugar problem never escalated.

KJx

• i put on 6.5 stone while carrying my lo, and he was born 5lb5oz!!! really little.

i too couldn't stop eating and had spd too so could barely move (this is why such big weight gain) the reason he was so small even tho i ate us out of house and home was cuz he had undetected fetal growth retardation caused by a small placenta (should be size of dinner plate but his was size of side plate and hardened) if i hadn't've ate so much he would've died b4 he was born!! have u had a scan recently?? keep an eye on your measurements, no one listened to me when i said i hadn't grown in 7 weeks!! it almost cost my babys life!!

dont mean to scare u tho
    jo and riley
    xxxx
  • hi hun, when i was pregnant with my son, i eat loads of crap really bad of me put on four stone and my was 8.14oz, but with my daughter I had healthy food and had fruit when fav sweet thing with maybe you should try u are worried, mangoes, pineapple is great, i put on 15 pounds and my dd was 7.03 oz so maybe try healthy options if your worried hun x
  • g/c from baby

baby only takes what it needs from u, very clever like that, however, if ur eating lots of 'bad' foodsn then this cld increase ur chance of gestational diabetes which generally will lead to a bigger baby.

so depends what ur eating really, and ur pre preg size, if u already had a high bmi pre pregnancy then this ups ur risk of gd aswell.

but don't fret treating urself fro time to time or just being a bit slacker with eating than usual won't efect babies weight, and u shld enjoy the opportunity to not be too tough with urself xx

also wanted to add that i barely put on any weight until i hit 28 weeks, when i suddenly got a bump, and then the last 6 weeks weight started to go elsewhere too.

[Modified by: siany on December 07, 2009 06:32 PM]

• Thanks girls...I'm going to start trying to avoid the temptation of choc and eating fruit to substitute the sugar cravings..as am worried about getting GD.

Jojo149- that's awful that the problem with the placenta wasn't picked up in ur pregnancy....just glad everything turned out ok and baby was alive and well!!!!

Xx
  • I ate mostly healthy foods in my first pregnancy, although I wasn't a saint, I did eat some unhealthy food too.  I put on about 30Lbs in weight, but lost it easily after.  I had a little baby she weighed   4Lb 10 oz at 39 weeks.  Just made her that way.  I'm 34 weeks pregnant now and I've eaten very healthily I've gained 19Lbs so far and the baby's estimated weight is 5LB.  So I think if you eat balanced, everything in moderation then it definitely helps.  I'm very petite myself, only about 115 LBs usually so I think a lot depends on your frame too!