Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

reasurance test?? ANY advise pls ladies???

Hi girls
This is probably going to sound crazy but its just a thought I have had!
I have heard a few of you been having blood tests to check your pg levels. I havnt had blood tests done, but im 9 weeks pg. I have had a mmc in the past, and im petrified of having my scan next week for them to say lost baby again.
So I was thinking of doing another pregnancy test at home, to see how strong the line is, cos if it is faint it will make me think my levels are low, when they should be very strong by now!
What do you all think, should I try a test to check the strength, or stop worrying so much and hope all goes well next friday at the scan?
Sorry to go on, im just scared Im gonna loose this baby like did last time

caz xx
PS... Even if you think im mad.. you can still tell me ha ha

[Modified by: magicmonica on 31 August 2007 08:42:24 ]

Replies

• I think it would show you are pregnant even if had miscarried so best to just wait till the scan. I know it's scary, I had to have an emergency scan at 9 weeks and when the doc called to say when it was it was 2 days later, i couldn't believe I had to wait. Good luck.
    Debbie (22+2)
  • sorry hun, but i had a mmc in nov, even on the day of my d n c i did a test n it was positive, and even 5 weeks after they was coming up positive coz the sac still has the hormones.
    I know how you feel about your 12 week scan coz i was petrified. I has one at 8 weeks and 3 days and coz i waso ver 8 weeks i couldnt have a 12 week scan, i had to wait 12 weeks for my next scan. Fingers crossed all will be fine. x x Abbey & 30 +6 bump x
  • hi, I know exactly where youre coming from, before i had my 3rd i had 2 mmc (one at 16 weeks one at 11 weeks) I did about 8 tests and sat annalysing the strength of the line each time it worried me sick, the colour of the line differed everytime and i was sure it was getting paler, i think it would worry you unnecessarily and tbh when i had my 2nd mmc it still showed i was pregnant even tho i wasnt. Try not to worry or maybe you could ring your mw to see if she can get you in for an early scan.
  • I know its hard,especially in the early days, but you would probably be best to wait til your scan. I know this is no reassurance to you now but hopefully your scan will show everything is ok

Good luck, sorry I cant be of any more help
    Hilary
  • Hi - I am one of the ladies that had blood tests done, I had a miscarriage in January, but also as I am 40 I was told I had a 50% chance of miscarriage again - hence why I pushed for blood tests so early on! The HCG levels were really high which was great...but then the next test taken 48 hrs later hadn't doubled, it had gone up but doctor wanted to repeat bloods again...so even that didn't reassure me completely. I then had a scan at 7 weeks and we saw the heartbeating which was fantastic, and then I had booked a private nuchal scan for 12 weeks. Apart form having a scan every week until we get to 20 weeks I dont know what would reassure some of us! I have felt so very paranoid with this baby, firstly because of the miscarriage and secondly my age, but funnily enough (touch wood) I have had a pretty good pregnancy so far - am now 26+4.

So what I am trying to say is that no tests can give you 100% reassurance. You can certainly ask your docs to do HCG tests, but you would have to have one on Monday, then one Wednesday and you wouldn't get results until possibly late Thursday? By which time you would have had your scan I am guessing.

The only other thing worth trying like Hayley says is to try and get an earlier scan.

All the best and try not to worry - but I know that is easier said than done. xxx
  • Thanks everyone for your replies... I did do another test this morning, and it was a very strong positive, so felt reasured... but now i see what you are all saying about it would still show positive even if ad m/c again.
    I know im being over paranoid, its just frightening, as some of you who have also had mmc will know. I will just wait till next friday and hope for the best and pray there is a healthy happy bundle in there! then they might scan again before 20 weeks to be safe, but will see how friday goes 1st.
    I feel ok, and thanks again for your advise and support, nice to know some others have felt same after prev probs early on. Good luck to you all and happy healthy pregnancies for us all.
    caz xx
  • i dont know if it iwll reassure you, i have felt the baby move everyday since 16 weeks, and even when i went for my 20 week scan i couldnt get the thought out of my head that there was going to be something wrong. Can you not get an earlier scan? x x
  • Caz, you can always get a private scan at anytime for reassurance - yes it costs at bit, but if you have the money then this could be a way to reassure you if you dont get a 12 week scan. For instance you could go for a sexing scan from 16 weeks and most private places offer this. xxx