Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Mouse or rat?

Hubby and I were away last night and in our absence one of the cats had clearly brought us a "present" - there were little black droppings in the hallway :x There was no corpse so after a bit of hunting and poking around with a broom handle we found it.

It was grey, with quite a long pointy nose and a fairly thick tail. Thing is, it was definitely bigger than a house mouse - twice the size if not more - but I've never seen a rat that small. It was a bit smaller than a hamster in length but a lot leaner. Don't think it was a country mouse as we've had those before and they're brown. When we poked it it made a screechy squeak - a really big noise, like a kiddie's squeezy toy.

What do you think? Mouse or rat? :\?

Replies

• Agreed with Katie, rats dont have furry tails. I have kept both rats and mice! Maybe it was a baby rat?? I dont remember my rats being too big xx
  • Thanks Katie! After extensive research (5 mins on Google) we conclude that your OH is right - it had a hairy tail. That's the biggest mouse I've EVER seen! image

I remember seeing mice at my mum's house before now in her budgie cage - small enough to get through those little tiny bars! This could never have done that!
  • may have been a baby rat. Mice are usually smaller and kinda stumpier looking as in shorter in the body and rats longer. agree with the tail thing as well.
    DH's suggestion is maybe a shrew????!!!!
    Filo x
  • Definitely not a shrew or vole as we've had those before (they're so cute!) Think it must have been a mouse as the tail was definitely hairy - just amazed as it was so big, and have never heard such a loud squeak!
  • http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/950/50024162.JPG

did it look like that?

was going to post the image but thought some might not like it...

we got a lot of mice that looked like that at my dads house. They are much bigger than field mice, and we even had one like that at our house (its not anymore :lol: ) but it was brown.
    They can get quite big.

xxx
  • Yes!! It looked a lot like that - not the little delicate things I've seen before!

Had another one this morning - this was a teeny little round brown field mouse, though, so sweet.

26+4

• PinkToothbrush, your cats sound like mine!

I have three and each like to catch different animials... one catches pigeons (he is a very big cat), the other is always bringing baby rats, shrews and mice, and the smallest cat is always catching frogs and boy, do they scream!!

We refuse to have a cat flap because I couldn't cope with what they would bring in! Luckily they don't bring them through our windows!