Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Swollen ankles

In my last pregnancy I literally had one day at about 37 weeks where I'd been on my feet all day and my ankles swelled up lots. I rested and they were fine the next day.

Last night I noticed they had swollen up for the first time this pregnancy (38 weeks). They haven't gone down overnight and they're feeling quite tight and uncomfortable today.

I don't have any other symptoms of pre-eclampsia which I know is probably the worst-case scenario with swelling. Just water retention, do you think? I feel fine in myself.

Am seeing mw tomorrow anyway, would you just wait? Thank you for any advice.

Replies

• Options
    From what I understand swollen ankles are normal for a lot of women throught the whole of the 3rd trimester. I'm 19 weeks and saw the midwife last week and she looked at my ankles and said "Oh are your ankles swollen already?" I said, no this is now they always look, I'm just a bit fat!!

I'm sure its fine, but call the mw if you're worried. x
  • Options
    Hey, i'm sure it will be ok to wait til tomorrow if you are feeling fine, no dizziness or flashing lights etc Just keep your feet up and relax, put on a film or something!! xx
  • Options
    i'm 34+3 and i have mega cankles lol, my left swells more than the right, and i have days where they don't go down overnight, have mentioned to midwife a few times but she doesn't seem concerned as BP normal and no protein in urine. i know what you mean with the feeling, i find it so hard to describe, i can't squat down on my left leg some days as it makes my leg go really tight and painful. i've also had to resort to wearing hubby's trainers socks as these are bigger than mine, and i can't get proper socks past my fat ankles lol hope it helps knowing you're not alone. xxxxx

also this is my fourth pregnancy and the first time i have ever had swollen ankles xxx
  • Options
    My ankles tend to swell a lot and its just one of those things - they usually reduce in size overnight - but generally don't go completely down.

If you are worried then phone now (no point in worrying yourself if the mw can put your mind at rest) otherwise just mention it tomorrow.

Keep your feet up as much as possible and drink plenty of water (counter-intuitive I know, but drinking water actually helps reduce water rentention!). I find that going on short walks helps to - probably a raising circulation thing.
  • Options
    Mine don't tend to go down very much, they seem to swell in afternoon & by the evening r quite sore. They have been up for 2 weeks. I have to see mw every week now as when the swelling started my bp was borderline, but has since come down. My mil gave me a tip if u press down on ur ankle with a finger or thumb & leaves an indent it's all fluid rather than anything else.

Jayne 37+3
  • Options
    Mine started swelling started around 23 weeks :\( although my m/w isnt concerned as I have no protein in urine, BP normal and the swelling goesdown overnight.

She said it probably was because I have a desk job so sat still for most of day, so has recommended ankle exercises (flexing foot back and forth, and circles) every so often, increased water intake etc and keep them elevated as much as possible. Have to admit they're much better at the weekend when I'm more mobile.

HTH
    N 26+0
  • Options
    Mine swelled from about 35 weeks with my first. I think its very normal. My blood pressure was also sky high and i had headaches but it never developed into pre eclampsia.

Mention it to your midwife tomorrow just to be sure image xx
  • Options
    Hi.
    Mine have been swallon since 25 weeks. Im signed off work as I have to stand for 12.5 hours. I can completely relate about the sensation, its horrible & painful. My Blood pressure is fine but I do have protein in my urine so we are just seeing how things go.
    I would call the midwife now hun just to be on the safe side. Let us know how you get on xxx
  • Options
    Ok, thanks ladies! Seems it's fairly normal, and as I'm not too worried I think I'll wait until I see mw tomorrow and mention it then. Have taken my BP and it's fine and don't have flashing lights or anything.

Finished my housework and LO is at the childminder's for the day so I think it's feet up and One Born Every Minute time :\)
  • Options
    Mine swelled towards the end of my pregnancy, about 7 1/2 months or so I would say. Luckily it was summer so I lived in flipflops anyway. Coudn't even get ballet pumps on! My MW wasn't concerned about it
    Enjoy One Born Every Minute!! x
  • Options
    Hi girls, they're still swollen today but just to let you know that as my BP and urine were fine mw said there was nothing to worry about :\) Thanks for all your advice.
  • Options
    Try getting your other half to massage them quite firmly whilst they are slightly elevated, almost as if he were pushing the fluid back up your legs. I had pre eclampsia with DD and nothing would shift the swelling, but this time round I've had the odd day where I've overdone it and ended up all swollen and the massage has returned them to normal. Makes life more comfy too, I hate that tight feeling of balloony legs!

Take it easy,now.
  • Options
    Any massaging is good so will certainly be getting on DH's case! Thanks!