Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Has anyone had to take time off work with Morning sickness?

Hi
I'm 10 weeks now and still feeling dreadful. Nauseous all the time and can vomit any time of day or night image. I had this in my first pregnancy but not as bad (also I didn't have a 17 month old toddler to run around after).
Anyway I have struggled on at work (I work 2 days a week) until now but I am taking next week off. Even though I'm taking it as annual leave I feel that my manager is being far from sympathetic and even seems a bit annoyed that I've only decided today (they will have to rearrange client appointments). Although i thought it was better to say now than call in sick on the morning which would be more inconvenient for everyone.
Not much point to this post really - just wanted to feel like others have been through this too - and I'm not just being a moany wimp image

Replies

• Oh you poor thing! I feel your pain! I was ill until about 16-17 weeks, every time I opened my mouth to speak it triggered me off retching image
    I had to be signed off work for 9 weeks as I was soooo poorly with it - my job is pretty much talking to patients all day! You most definitely are NOT being a moany wimp and you do not need to take the time as annual leave. Sick leave related to pregnancy can not be counted as normal sick leave and they can't take any action against you for it.
    Really hope your boss improves their attitude pet, and that you're feeling better soon. xx
  • Oh I can so sympathise with you. I was like that with my first. It's certainly no fun when your company aren't really all that interested is it?!

Hope you feel better soon hun!
  • i did with my first. i was working in a pub and my managers response was "its morning sickness it stops at 12. 1 at the latest" stupid f*****g man!!!!!
  • I was signed off work with sickness from 6 weeks with my last pregnancy. Check with your gp that it is just morning sickness - I had hyperemesis gravidarum, and it's awful. I can sympathise hun, it's debilitating at times, and you need to make sure you're not getting dehydrated.

I hope your workplace are a lot more sympathetic than mine xxx
  • I'm off at the moment with hyperemesis gravidarum, i'm 17+4 and have been off 3 weeks so far and will be signed off for another 2 tomorrow....I have also found work to be very un sympathetic but have now decided that me and bump come first so I'll deal with them when I go back. Don't feel bad having to take time off, the sickness can be so unpredictable and awful the best place for you is at home resting x
  • gatecrashing but i worked full time when i had my 1st lo 3 years ago and my morning sickness was dreadful i couldnt keep anything down and could barely get out of bed so i phoned up sick most days or when i did manage to get in to work id be sent home again for continuously throwing up, at times my employers were quite mad to say the least but they became more sympathetic (after weeks they got used to it lol) since i was signed off work for ages and was on medication to help my sickness.. xx
  • gatecrashing but i worked full time when i had my 1st lo 3 years ago and my morning sickness was dreadful i couldnt keep anything down and could barely get out of bed so i phoned up sick most days or when i did manage to get in to work id be sent home again for continuously throwing up, at times my employers were quite mad to say the least but they became more sympathetic (after weeks they got used to it lol) since i was signed off work for ages and was on medication to help my sickness.. xx
  • I totally symapthise poor you x
    I too had to be signed off work at the beginning of my pregnancy and was sick 24/7 till 12 weeks and couldnt eat or drink .then was still sick and nauseous everyday till 16 weeks. As the other girls have mentioned be careful r.e keeping yourself hydrated as I had HG and was admitted to hospital because of this. Fingers crossed it eases for you soon and I know its easier said than done but dont worry about work. You and bump are more important. You certainly arent a wimp either i felt exactly the same and plenty of others have been in exactly the same boat. If you need some moral support or advice please feel free to email me I know how awful it is xx
  • another one who had hyperemesis here! I had 10 weeks off work as i couldnt even get out of bed i was so ill. Luckily my work was supportive and when i went back 10 weeks later and a stone lighter, i think it was clear how ill id been. Some people just dont realise what its like.
    If you need the time off hun take it, your entitled to sick leave xx
  • i was soooo ill from 12 to 36 weeks, every day, sometimes all day! i had quite a few days off, it got to the point where i was phoning up and saying "i'm having one of those days again" and the boss understood :lol: a few days i'd stand in the spare room at silly oclock in the morning with the window wide open crying my eyes out cuz i felt soooo ill...i was advised to have a GTT test at some point but i was just too ill to have it as i physically couldn't get out of bed without eating something to throw up (if that makes sense). Certain foods kicked it off e.g. duck made me violently ill and some foods calmed my stomach, i lived on haribo and bread for most of my pregnancy!! x