Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Cervical Erosion

Hi ladies

Has anyone been diagnosed with a cervical erosion?

I haven't had an 'official' diagnosis but the nurse at the EPU said that this is likely to be what's causing the brown stained discharge that I've been having. I had it at 4 weeks, 6 weeks and have now had it for the last week since 8 weeks.

They didn't give me an official diagnosis because the nurse said she'd rather they didn't go sticking a speculum up there and fiddling around as she didn't feel it was necessary but that there was no evidence of bleeding anywhere in the uterus.

Although this is the 3rd time in this pregnancy I've had the stained discharge it still really freaks me out and makes me worry. The last 2 times it only last 4 - 5 days but this time it's been going on a week and just when I think it's slowing down it get heavier again. It's not really heavy but I was hoping it would have stopped again by now.

For anyone else who has/had a cervical erosion - how long did the brown discharge last once it started? And did it eventually stop altogether or has it continued in your pregnancy? Also, did you notice anything specific that triggered it? So far my 'episodes' have been twice when my AF would have been due and once when I would have been ovulating. I did read online that it could be caused by hormones and was wondering if this is why it has coincided with these times??

I know that a cervical erosion isn't dangerous to my baby but I just worry in case it's NOT that and then each time the discharge starts again or increases I worry it's something bad happening.

I don't know whether to ring the EPU back and ask them about it again - I don't want them to think I'm being a nuissance.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks, NN 9+1 xxx

http://www.magicalkingdoms.com/timers/tickers/2jd2p9xz55ugm69d.png

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/NattyNik/Round%204%20Pregnancy%20Photos/KangaandRoo62.jpg

Click Here To Read My Ramblings On Living With Loss And Pregnancy After Loss

Replies

• Options
    i went to see a gyne doc this afternoon as this was a possibility for me, but i was examined and told i had a polyp which will eaither break away in labour, or i'll have to have it removed at some point after birth. when having periods i'd get more brown that actual bleed and this was the reason. So the longer i leave between sex, the bigger chance the polyp gets bigger then bursts.

I know it's a little personal bu do you get brown just all of a sudden or after sex, or something else?
  • Options
    hi hun im sorry to hear your getting the teerrible worrying brown idischarge iv suffered 4 mc in past and had brown with all this time round i had heavy brown discharge nite and day till i was 10 weeks pregnant and was given no explanation at all i was given regular scans and saw consultant every 4 weekly due to pcos im now 34 plus 3 and baby is doing great so try not to worry hun but if it carrys on as the weeks progress i would advice to be firm with gp or midwife due to ur history and ask for more scans.xx
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply TTC :\)

Because of my 3 previous mc's we haven't been having sex since getting my BFP. I can't think of anything else that could be triggering it either.

Before my BFP I didn't ever have any problems with bleeding after sex or in-between periods, but I did read that cervical erosion is common in pregnancy even if you didn't have it beforehand.

Love NN 9+1 xxx

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr359/NattyNik/Round%204%20Pregnancy%20Photos/KangaandRoo62.jpg

• Options
    Hi Crystal

Thanks so much for your reassuring reply :\) So sorry about your losses.

The EPU have been great so far and have given me 2 scans - one at 6+1 and one at 8+3. I also have a reassurance scan on Monday at the Maternity unit, so am trying to just hold out until then.

You must be so excited to meet your baby soon, especially after everything you've been through :\)

Love NN 9+1 xxx

• Options
    Hiya hun,

Sorry to hear you've got this worry. I've had something slightly different to you - at 23 weeks (after sex) I had a massive bleed, proper red blood. Had another small one whilst I was in hospital - two weeks after this I sat up quickly from being laid down, think baby's head was really low and had another bleed!!

The last bleed was two weeks this Sunday and I've still got brown spotting now, mostly when I wipe, but it is does go on a pantyliner as well.

I asked the mw about this and she said that it can take longer than normal to get back to normal, because of everything else going on with your body.

Mine was put down to cervical erosion as well.

If they have checked you over and the bubba and placenta is fine, then you should try and not worry - saying that I'm contantly worried with every twing I get now!

I hope it clears up soon hun!

Rach xxx
  • Options
    firstly try not to worry, I was told I had cervical erosian which was not explained to me properly and I was sent for a colposcopy (sp?) a week later, my hubby and I both the impression it was extremely serious and I may die if I didn't have this appointment - they really laid it on thick!
    anyway, went for the colposcopy, nurse confirmed it was cervical erosion although they call it something else now cant remember what, its perfectly harmless and common in pregnancy and will probably return to normal after the birth. Best bit is I dont have to have 6 month smears anymore either, can go back to 3 yearly.

so regarding the spotting - I was 6 weeks when all this happened, the spotting lasted between 4 days and a week, since then have been fine, had a bit of brownish spotting at 24 weeks and again yesterday (28+5) but everything is ok. I cant remember the last time I had sex so definatly not that!

hope things get better for you x
  • Options
    hi

I was told I had a cervial erosion last year after bleeding inbetween AF but was told that it would probably go away by itself. After a couple of months the bleeding stopped and I assumed all was well until I got pregnant!! I have had stained pinky/brown discharge on and off since 12 weeks (am now 33 weeks). Went to the hospital the first few times and was told it was due to the eorsion on my cervix. Every few weeks I have had more and like you have worried everytime that maybe this time its something different. Mine never happened after sex but (sorry if its tmi) often happened quite soon after I'd had a bowel movement. Sorry for waffling but just wanted to reassure you that I've had quite a lot of this and all is still more than well with my bub.
  • Options
    Hello,

I went to the Dr's when we were TTC as I bled after sex a few times, Dr said I had a cervical erosion and that it was nothing to worry about - she said sex aggravates it as sorry tmi is like bashing a scab on your knee - its delicate and will bleed.

Few weeks later got my BFP but I was bleeding and having a browny discharge at about 5 weeks pregnant which pretty much lasted a couple of weeks. I had a scan at the EPU at 7 weeks and all was fine - I am now 27 weeks and have had no bleeding since. Hubby and I have only has proper sex twice since BFP (poor hubby) mainly because I am so worried about the erosion bleeding and although I know thats probably all it will be I cant face the worry of a bleed just to have sex. as I'd have to get it checked and I just dont think its worth the stress!!

I think as the other girls say if you have a cervical erosion the bleeding and discharge is common, not that it stops you worrying - hope it stops soon and you can relax and enjoy your pregnancy
    Abbie
    xxx
  • Options
    Hi NN,

I had a bleed at 7, 11, 17 and 21 weeks........one day a little red then three days brownish. Nothing was said until my 21 week one as I am RHneg and needed the anti-d (they didnt give to me for the earlier than 20 week bleeds) the consultant did a speculum and confirmed I have a cervial erosion - stange as it sounds....what a relief i knew where it was coming from woo hoo.

Anyways he said to me, baby is totally unaffected and it should go after birth. I would often get shooting pains down below and that must have been what it was.....

I hope monday goes well for you, wow 9+1 already......!!

xxx
  • Options
    sorry gatecrashing- I'm not pg yet (not actually ttc til sept) but I've got this- its not actually erosion and they call it ectropian now more commenly- its where someof the cells from the neck of the womb have moved to the outside and its knocking these which causes bleeding/stained discharge- as the other girls have said its very common especially in young women and useually rectifies itself- though you can have treatment if it is particuarly bothersome x
  • Options
    Thank you SO much everyone. It's really good to read all your positive and reassuring replies and it really helps to know I'm not alone.

As it says on all the websites it's more worrying/alarming to keep seeing the brown discharge!

Just hoping it either stops or I start to relax after our 12 week scan (2 weeks on Monday!).

Have another scan on Monday so just keeping busy this weekend and hoping all will be ok still.

akaladyk - I know! The weeks do seem to be going quite quickly, which I am relieved about!

Love NN 9+2 xxx

• Options

I had cervical erosion bout 7 years due to being on the pill which I had treated as was a large 1 lots of bright red blood when touched. last wednesday at almost 30 weeks pregnant had dark brown discharge in knickers and when wipped for few hours so went to maternity day care where they took urine sample fine and monitored heartbeat and movements for bout an hour. Dr also had a look at cervix and said it could be the erosion as returned which I already had in my head. Took a swab as there was also lot grey discharge and lots blood when they touched cervix. Due to amount blood they addmitted me to ward overnight for obs. All was good bleeding stopped no contractions and good baby heatrate and movements. Erosion had returned and expect to need treatment again after babys born as was so large last time and even bleed little on occasions after treatmeant and took bit time to heal completepy. Just waiting swab results now as think I may have an infection. So if u worried get checked they were very good and madesure all was ok.

• Options

Also with first erosion had some lower ab pain and and grone pain which went after treatment andwith they took biopsi from it which came back clear