Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Is anyone here studying while pregnant?

I am 5 weeks and am just beginning my MA. Beginning to feel like i've bitten off more than i can chew...Is anyone else studying and if so how are you finding it?

Thanks, KB xx

Replies

• I am. I am doing the first of a two year masters and it is really hard at times, but you can do it. I don't have any tips, but am here to chat.

xx
  • hi hon
    Yes I have studied throughout my pregnancy. I wanted to do my book keeping exams which I started last October and I fell pregnnat in March. Completely planned and to be honest I didn't think about the consequences of studying. I'm not goin gto lie, it's been a lot tougher whilst pregnant but am really pleased that I have survived and I sat my final exam on 14th October, I get my results on 14th November. All I would say is it's much harder to concentrate when all youw ant to do is look at baby stuff so I had to set myself strict times to study say on a sunday from 10-5 etc etc.
    Apart from that you just need to try and focus which isn't easy but if you enjoy what your studying then it should be ok.
    Good luck, it can be done honey. Just shout if you need any tips!
    Em
    32+5
    xxx
  • Hi, I'm studying for a masters in Pharmaceutical Engineering as a distance learning course. I had exams recently when I was 7 weeks and I felt like death the whole time (and took lots of snacks into the exams). It is harder studying at the moment as well as the shear motivation of it but it can be done. I've got my last set of exams at the end of March (I'm due 2nd May) so that'll be tricky but better than if bubs is already here.

A friend of mine has her PhD exam in a couple of weeks when she'll be 37 weeks!! She's just keeping her legs crossed. lol.

Good luck with it all. x
  • Thanks ladies! I've just started year 1 of a 3 year MA in Childhood and youth via distance learning. I have my first assignment due in next week and i've found it so hard to focus on it as i found out i'm expecting! The year ends in June which is when i'm due too! lol! I really don't know how this is going to plan out but it's nice to know there are others who i can maybe speak to at times. x
  • You'll be fine hun, i'm not studying this time but during my 1st PG i was studying for my BA in marketing (2nd yr) admittedly it was tough concentrating especially as i had hypermesis too but i explained the "situation" to my uni and they were very understanding even giving me a copy of all lectures/seminars so that i could pick and choose ones if i was unwell- maybe u could do the same???

Studying while PG is the easy bit, finishing your final yr with a baby (1yr old) is a lot harder!!

Good luck with ur MA.

Lilac* 31 weeks twin bump
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • i was same as lilac pg in 2nd year of BA business degree and like she says studying while pg was tiring but doable but I found it a lot harder once ds was born but I did as have many others as you will too, if anything your little one will motivate you as you will want to finish to give them a better life (thats what kept me going any way xx) good luck xx
  • It is hard but like everyone else says it can be done, im a student midwife and took a years leave about 3 weeks ago which wasn't the plan as I planned to carry on until about 36 weeks then take 6 months out instead, unfortunately due to my PSD I was forced to leave earlier as I had trouble coping with the long shifts. Im sure if it wasn't for the placement side of things though and only had the academic side of things to complete i'd have carried on.
    I think so long as you're determined and enjoy what you are studying you will manage somehow, just make sure you also take time out yourself to relax and chill out so as not to tire yourself.
    Good luck im sure you will be fine.

Dannii. x
    33+2
  • Hi - I was going to start studying for a Masters in Psychology so I could start a different career when I go back to work but I'm further along than you guys and I would have started this month and am due to give birth 13th Nov so decided against it. I will probably enrol next Sept instead and we will be ttc at the time so I will hopefully be expecting my 2nd baby while studying!
    Nice to know it is possible - if the baby fits round the exams and coursework!

xax
  • Hi I have just put in my ucas for 2010 midwifery bsc. however now i'm pregnant i don't think i'll get accepted for 2010 intake. image Will have to defer as im due june 2010. this really wasn't in the plan but i feel really lucky to have my fourth baby on the way xxxxxxx
  • Im a student nurse and am almost on maternity leave!(planned pregnancy) I will complete my practice placement before starting my next year after maternity leave. Other than morning sickness and now spd (am on crutches otherwise would have finished my placement before maternity leave!) I have found the pregnancy has not affected me studying at all and I have passed my written work just as well as anyone else in my class. I also have a 4 year old at home who has only just started school and my mum who use to look after her was diagnosed with advanced breast cancer at the end of july so has been unable to help with childcare. so in short you just learnt to cope with what life throws at you image you will be fine with your studies, good luck with your studies and pregnancy xx
  • Hi, I am 28+3 weeks, I am doing my NVQ level 3 in childcare whilst working full time... its tough going! x
  • I'm studying too and spend a very long day at uni, 1 day a week and work flat out the other 4, it is tough but I'm managing. The worst bit will be the exams at beginning of March, baby is due 11 April, so will be pretty big and uncomfortable, but have already spoken about doing them seperately so that I can get up and have a walk around every hour. Worth bearing in mind.

Have more exams in June, so the next challenge will be studying with very small baby xxxx
  • I'm on my final year of my BA Honours in Education, I'm due to start my dissertation module in January and baby is due in January but I am determined to do it!!
    Katie xxx
    27+3
  • Hi ladies! Thanks for all the responses! It's so good to know that there are quite a few of us out there!

As i mentioned before i have an assignment due in this week that i've been stressing about. Mainly because i've given myself an earlier deadline as i'm off on my hols on Saturday and don't fancy taking it with me! I'm pretty sure i can get it done-it's just so tough juggling everything and feeling the pressure. I even had a broken sleep last night because of it and began to worry that studying is going to make me enjoy my pregnancy (1st one) less. I have assigments due every month from now until february then a project due in June.

But now i'm wide awake and back to my senses i think i'm doing the right thing. Especially since i'll be on Maternity leave during my second year and reduced working days during final year. I know it's going to be tough but i'll be fine! And i just need to keep focused on the end goal-which will hopefully be an even better job and being able to provide more for my baby!

Good luck to all you ladies studying. At least this thread can be used as a place to vent if ever needs be! xx
  • Hi all!!

I know this thread is old now, but I am currently planning on falling pregnant soon, but still have 10 months left to finish off my masters! I would love to know how you all went studying and doing exams while being pregnant? We are planning on falling pregnant in April (with last exam early nov) meaning I will be 6-7 months pregnant doing my last exam....just wondering how you all found coping with exam presure and being in your 3rd trimester? Also did many of you find early stages of pregnancy difficult while studying?

Would love to hear all your thoughts! No one I know has dared to study while pregnant so am very confused whether I should be waiting an extra 6 months?

Xx
  • Hi all!!

I know this thread is old now, but I am currently planning on falling pregnant soon, but still have 10 months left to finish off my masters! I would love to know how you all went studying and doing exams while being pregnant? We are planning on falling pregnant in April (with last exam early nov) meaning I will be 6-7 months pregnant doing my last exam....just wondering how you all found coping with exam presure and being in your 3rd trimester? Also did many of you find early stages of pregnancy difficult while studying?

Would love to hear all your thoughts! No one I know has dared to study while pregnant so am very confused whether I should be waiting an extra 6 months?

Xx
  • I was 11 weeks pg when I started studying a level 3 in Beauty Therapy this year one day a week as well as working full time. I'm not finding the pg part too hard at the moment, its more the trying to find time to study which will be even more difficult once baby arrives!
  • hi i was wannababyuk1 when i answred this post 1st time round.I didnt finish my degree as my mum got to poorly. but with regards to what your asking-i spent the first 12 weeks with my head down toliet and the last 3 months on crutches BUT it did not stop me doing my uni work! my grades were just as good as others in my class and you can ask for extra time if you are unwell an abtain a gp's note if you do suffer with morning sickness and stuff but you may be lucky and it may not affect you at all. it was my 2nd pregnancy i was studying though but my 1st pregnancy i bressed through-luck of the draw!

good luck xx
  • I'm finishing up my third year of university and I'm 2 months pregnant. So far, although I've been exhausted, I've been doing fine with deadlines, although I've missed more lessons than I would have liked to through sickness/tiredness. All of my tutors knew about it pretty much as soon as I did though so I've received a lot of support, and I'll finish the course about a month before I give birth x

• Hi..

Amazing How women can be sooo strong motivated yet determined to fight against all the ups and downs in life.....I am studying AAT Accounting my 3 year and am 2mths PG now..and have missed lastweek 2 days due to morning sickness but reading all the previous posts..makes me wanna keep going even more..thanks to you all..and goodluck to all of us and I hope may we excel and succeed all our exams courseworks etc..thank you again byee