Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question about maternity leave for any teachers out there...

Hi ladies,

Just wondered if there is a date when we have to start mat leave by when you are a teacher in England (I'm in Manchester if it makes any difference!)??! I am due 8th April and Easter starts 26th March, when I will be 38+1...so if I can make it to this date can I just have my maternity leave starting either on the first day back after Easter, or whenever my baby arrives (whichever happens first...)?

Any advice would be great!!!

Thanks,

Ruth xx
25+6 (99 days to go!!)

Replies

• Hi there

Go here and download the document and look at maternity entitlements (I think) : http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/TrainingEventsandPublications/NASUWTPublications/Publications/Maternitypaternityadoptionandparentalleave/NASUWT_000825
    I think the last time you are allowed to start your maternity leave is the ESTIMATE WEEK OF CHILDBIRTH so the week before your due date.

I would say be VERY wary of working that late tho!!! I planned to work till 36 weeks and ended up having premature birth at 34 weeks and WISH I had taken earlier maternity leave and had a few weeks to myself to start with!!!

GOOD LUCK!
  • It is the estimated week of childbirth. I worked up until 38 weeks. I had a good pregnancy and felt fine throughout, which was why I kept going. Plus it took me to just the end of June (baby was due in July). I had my baby a week and two days after I finished tho!

Good luck. xx
  • I am due on the 1st September... my plan is to work till July... start of summer hols AND begin my mat leave on the 1st day back to work (31st Aug)... if i have to leave the week before i am due i will finish officially the friday before 27th Aug... quids in!
  • I also plan to finish on th first day back after the Easter hols. I am not due unitl the 22nd April though. There is no har in putting down the latest date posiible and if you feel you need to finish earlier nearer the time you could get your doctor to sign you off work for pregnancy related problems. If he does and it is close to your due date I think this can initiate early maternity leave.
  • As these ladies have said ou can work up until the week of your due date. i worked up until 3 weeks before my due date and although generally i was fine i was getting really tired a couple of weeks before and wished i'd taken my leave about a wek earlier.