Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.

Hiding pregnancy from friends & family when you go out?

Hi,
I have a dilemma, out this Friday with family and friends, they are used to me drinking and smoking which I have obviously stopped...how can I avoid difficult questions...especially when they know we have been trying for a baby...also got a little belly showing but will have to hide it with a loose top...
Any ideas?

Replies

• Hi Helen

How far on are you are you waiting to tell people
  • I am only 6 1/2 weeks gone...but I am dying to tell everyone! but got until 17th Sept! ahhhhh!
  • Pretend you are on antibiotics for something... i did that for the drinking thing (or you could drive). As for the smoking you could say that you've given up whilst trying to concieve.. and that you're using the smoking ban as an added incentive? Sounds a bit far fetched but worth a try? Good luck! x x x
  • Or you could just tell everyone and make it a night of celebrations
  • I can say that because I ran the race for life a few weeks back that has made me give up the ciggies...I could say antibiotics but they will ask whats wrong! I have nosey friends and family!
  • or you could just tell everyone and make it a night of celebrations
  • I would love to do that! but Im only 6 1/2 weeks...
  • By saying it's a lady problem they might back off (i.e. antibiotics for thrust!) :lol:
  • To be honest if they know that you are trying I would try blagging it and saying that you have decided you are doing to try to stop smoking and drinking and have gone on a health kick to help you conceive - so that you are in good health or something. With me, my friends were so used to me going on these health kicks every few months they just rolled their eyes and thought 'here we go again' but they just left me to it.
    Or make sure you drive which gives you an excuse not to drink.....
  • I'd tell them and make it a celebration - I don't believe in all this 12 superstition. If it's gonna happen then it's gonna happen and I'd rather have family and friends support if anything went wrong rather than no one knowing.

I was only a week late when I found out, I was in my MIL house on holiday abroad and told them straight away - it made the best ending to a fabulous holiday!!

Good luck with whatever you decide, and enjoy your night out!
    xx
  • When I was the 6 and half wks we had a massive party (joint bro's 21st, mum & dad 25yrs anniversary) and everyone of the 150 people clocked that I wasn't drinking I just told them on antibiotics for a water infection and that shut them up.x
  • Hi,

I was about 6 weeks pregnant at New Year and keeping it secret until the scan. I managed to bluff my way through it by drinking schloer while at home, then only drinking drinks ordered by myself and my husband while in the pub - lots of "I'll have a gin & tonic please" before he returned with a glass of tonic water. I thought I would be sussed, especially by my sober mate who had announced she was pregnant a few days earlier, but I don't think people watch you as closely as you imagine. Bottle beers were also useful... you can look as if you are swigging from them without actually having anything (or allowing yourself the occasional small sip) - my other half liked this method because it meant he kept picking my bottle up and drinking from that so that was going down as well.

Good luck at keeping the secret if that's what you want to do! and enjoy your party!
  • i'd say you're driving so you can't drink - the smoking ban means you can't smoke, if you can't eat foods you'd normally eat - tell them you've got an upset tummy so are avoiding some stuff. i managed to do this on about 3 occassions it was hard though - if they start asking questions, change the subject quick - or rush off to the loo & pretend you're ill xx
  • hi i was gonna say, say yr on antibiotics 4 a chest infection coz people dont tend to smoke so much if theyve got a bad chest and of course u wont b able to drink, the excuse worked 4 me, gd luck n congrats x
  • Just to let you all know, thanks for all the advioce you gave, I decided to tell all my family and in-laws everyone was so happy and supportive, I felt better telling them all as if something did happen I would have all of their support. Thanks again. H
  • Congratulations, its always easier when everyone knws. I'm sure you'll have a great night out now everyone has something 2 celebrate x
  • I pretended that I had an evil hangover from the night before - out with workmates for a leaving do or something. It's quite convincing if, like me, you're never one to pass up a glass of wine! Mind you, I've hated lying to people all the time. 12 week scan for me next week so not long to go! Congratulations!
  • Hiding pregnancy experts are on that TV series, Secretly Pregnant and
    they're casting now at Gigantic! Productions for the second season.

http://giganticproductions.tumblr.com/post/22672893058/still-casting-for-the-2nd-season-of-secretly-pregnant