Forum home Pregnancy Pregnancy
🚨 Advance warning 🚨 This forum will be closing on 1st May – please see our pinned thread for more information.
Options

Need a dress/outfit for work xmas do....

Argh!!!!!!!!!!

Its my work xmas do on the 10th dec, they've already changed it to a meal somewhere followed by a few drinks to include me more as before it was just going out getting pissed....

but I really want to look fantastic (if its possible!) when we go out - my boss has great dress sense so always knows what suits her shape (a big girl ), and the other younger girl has a baby one week older than Ollie but has a great size 8 figure again (How!?!?!?!) there are two others who are 16 so will obviously (from their casual wear) have great outfits, and there is an older lady who again has fantastic dress sense (and the money to fund it too iykwim)

I havent got much money to spend, as my last wage was ??200 short due to having time off for Ollie, so am looking at a max spend of ??25 for this outfit/dress.... it would be ideal if it was something that could be worn again, or even for court as we have some court dates coming up whilst i'm pregnant.....

I want to look great, whilst showing off my bump image
I'm only 5foot tall, and currently about a size 16 in non mat clothing. I was a size 14 before pregnant, but none of the size 14 maternity clothes fit me - they're all massive and drop off or hang loosely making me look like i'm wearing a tent (is this on purpose? do they make mat clothes bigger?) I dont have any confidence in an outfit unless I can see it looks good on me....

so because of these issues I cant really buy anything online...... Sooooooooo where is good to go for buying something that would fulfil the purpose?
We dont have many shops round here, and the ones we do have are all small so never stock full ranges - we do have a debenhams, and also asdas, tesco (neither of which do mat range), matalan (think its reopened after being burnt down), and could possible stretch to going further afield to get to a new look but thats about it.......

any help of ideas will be really appreciated....... image

Stephe
xxxxxx

Replies

• Options
    hiya i was in matalan the other day they have some great stuff and very reasonable too, hope these lnks work xxx

http://www.matalan.co.uk/pages/products/002/096

also new look have some fab dresses that you could wear with leggins have a quick look online xx its difficult isnt it xxx

• Options
    i found a nice sparkly top in asda and they do go quite large as well. not a maty one but just got in size bigger.
    Trousers can be bought cheaply from bon marche(i know old people shop!!) but do many colours and lengths all with stretchy waists from size 10 upwards.
    Total spend for outfit, black sparkly top and purple trousers about ??29 pound i think but did buy fashion jewellery as well for couple of quid. worth a look.
    Filo x
  • Options
    Hi S.Y

I had a similar problem, have an xmas do, wedding and engagement party to go to in the next 2 months so ideally wanted something that met all 3 and was something that suited my figure (im 5 ft 2 and size 16). Didnt want to spend the earth as i just cant justify it to wear it three times. I too have to try on before i buy.

Theres a strapless maternity dress in new look but didnt think it suited me length wise. If you have a peacocks near you they have one in for ??18 but again it didnt seem to do me any favours. In the end i got mine from topshop. It was ??38 so more than you wanted to spend but i really like it.

Not much help probably, sorry! Ive found needing petite as well as maternity a major headache.

Hope you find something
    xx
  • Options
    http://www.asos.com/Women/Maternity/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=5813

Asda are supposed to be launching maternity range early dec.

Do you have any friends who could lend you thier maternity stuff.
  • Options
    well we ended up in asdas today to take advantage of their beer offer, and i went to have a look at the clothes....

I kinda blew my budget by ??12, but i did have a good argument.....
    i got two tops that are both size 10 image (they must have seen me coming and made their sizes larger just for me ;\) ) which was a surprise - the size 12 hung off me completely, and theres still room in these sizes!
    So they're something I can wear after pregnancy as well I hope.
    And i got a lovely new really comfy pair of shoes (that what blew the budget :roll: ) with a low heel on them that i can team with my black jeans and one of the new tops and hey presto - proudly displayed bump in up to date clothing image

My hubby did try to talk me out of it by saying that i didnt need new clothes because i had something they all didnt have (a baby on the way) and that made me look fanttastic anyway... but all I seemed to hear was buy me buy me buy me.... :lol:

so hubs feels better coz he has some beer, and I have new tops that should hopefully see me through the rest of the preg and after.... image

Thanks you for all your ideas image

xxxxxxx

p.s Katy - there is hardly anything for anyone who is petite and pregnant is there! I've found we're all supposed to be super tall and super slim except for our bumps.... :lol:
  • Options
    Glad you got sorted S.Y. The main thing is you`ve found something that you can use again, therefore its good value for money! (well its a good way to justify it!)

Yup, i think manufacturers think pregnant = 5 ft 7 and size 12 or something!

Enjoy your christmas do

Katy xx
  • Options
    ha ha im 5ft 7 and size 12 and have trouble,hee hee. i dont like many mat clothes around ,they never seem to fit well one way or other.
    i was going to get dress from asos.com and decided to stick with black trousers and getting sparkly top for my work do.